Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, nobody makes a programmer or tuner for our ECU, which sucks, but oh well. My question is, can I take my CTS to a shop and have them "tune" it so that I'm getting all the power I can? If so, should I have it done now, or wait until I get my exhaust system put on?

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The other thing is that the ECU in the CTS is the latest in sophistication in that it's self-learning. It basically tunes itself continuously for peak efficiency.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
odysseus said:
The other thing is that the ECU in the CTS is the latest in sophistication in that it's self-learning. It basically tunes itself continuously for peak efficiency.
Screw efficiency. I want power!! Who cares if you have 50+ MPG if I can get to the gas station and use up all the gas before you make it down the street? :lildevil:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
LOL

Actually, if you increase the engine's efficiency by reducing parasitic losses, the engine will produce more power (but still be EPA friendly by not going too rich). So CMS headers, CAI, and a cat-back exhaust systems will give you max power without having to 'tune' the ECU to compensate for an overly lean combustion event, as required in a fixed map ECU, like the one in the V.

I also chant the 'Mo Powa' mantra daily.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
On one hand it would be nice if we could simply add more power to our cars by upgrading the ECU. Having spent some time watching the mods and even more important, the results, various people have upgrading their cars, the uber-complex self learning ECU is not such a bad thing. Yay Cadillac for creating an ECU smarter than me, that will blithely accept intake and exhaust mods without freaking out!

·
Registered
03 CTS *sold*
66 Posts
I can't even get my tuning software to log from the PCM, and it ticks me off. Even if I can't edit, I still like to know what my car is doing and how well it's doing it.

The Firebird doesn't even start up unless it's plugged into the laptop... but then, that's a different ball game.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I bought PC based ODB2 monitor sofware (Dyno-Scan) that came with the bus adapter that does pretty much every bus out there, including the new (and soon to be the universal standard) CAN bus. It's nice for downloading trouble codes, monitoring Fuel/air ratio's, etc., and will calculate 0-60 times, quarter mile times, etc. from telemetry. It even has a 'virtual dyno' with it for calculating HP and torque, but needs too much info about the car for inputs, to be accurate.

It won't allow you to tune, though. I want to get rid of that stupid speed limiter.

http://www.auterraweb.com/

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
:D And to think in the real world we're called 'Geeks'! LOL

I got one of those 'chain emails' a while back that was supposedly excerpts from a commencement address by Bill Gates to his old high school.

One of the 10 'lessons learned' items that he explained was :

"Be nice to geeks. You will likely work for one in the future!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts