Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Hi Babe,

Pin stripes questions have come up before. It's thought the stripes break up the the Stealth lines of the CTS and detracts from it's aggressive good looks. One member took delivery of new CTS that the dealer had put on stripes and he personally removed them.

With that said this is really personal taste and if you really want them, get them. Pin stripes come in a palate of colors. With your car, a dark brown might look good. The shop shoud have samples for you to hold to your car. I've seen logos used in the pin stripe that looks appealing. What I saw was a mini Dodge Ram Head used on a Dodge Magnum.

Let us know what you decide.:yup:

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
Well, I have a Silver Smoke with a light gray and black hand painted pinstripes. If I can get the time I'll talke a shot with the camera.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My used '03 came with painted on pinstripes and some little starburst looking thing painted on the pillar behind the rear passenger doors. I was not happy when I realized they were painted on. I didn't even realize people painted pinstripes anymore...I thought they were always stickers.

The dealer's detailer was able to get the little starburst thingies off (I think he said he used automotive acetone), but were very skiddish about attempting to remove the entire pinstripes.

I don't really care for the stripes, but they have me worried about risking taking them off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They were willing to try, but I wasn't willing to assume the risk of ruined paint down both sides of the car. I can learn to live with the stripes since they are subtle, but that goofy starburst thing had to go!

·
Registered
270 Posts
To get an idea of what the pin striping will look like on the white diamond, here are some pics of my 03 CTS with pin striping. I purchased this vehicle used, and had no option to put it on, and unfortunately its painted on, so I cant take it off. But I guess that its starting to grow on me. Its also easier to distinguish in a parking lot if I park near another white diamond CTS.

signed by the painter... thanks buddy! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ran over to the dealer tonight and finally saw one with stripes and i think i'll pass and leave well enough alone.i think they look good on the more traditional caddy's,but just don't seem to flow very well on the CTS.

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Those pinstripes can be removed. all it takes is a little paint thinner or laquer thinner and a soft cloth.
The paint that is applied isnt the same as the the paint finish on your car. I removed these stripes all the time when i owned my Shops.....(detail, window tint, clear bra, etc...)

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Dubbed Stealth said:
Those pinstripes can be removed. all it takes is a little paint thinner or laquer thinner and a soft cloth.
The paint that is applied isnt the same as the the paint finish on your car. I removed these stripes all the time when i owned my Shops.....(detail, window tint, clear bra, etc...)

Not always. I'm heavily into airbrushing, and when I do pinstriping, it's always by hand. And I always use car paint. I also normally clear coat over everything.
These stripes are by hand, they could be under the clear, and could be automotive paint. Hard to tell by the pics....

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Not always. I'm heavily into airbrushing, and when I do pinstriping, it's always by hand. And I always use car paint. I also normally clear coat over everything.
These stripes are by hand, they could be under the clear, and could be automotive paint. Hard to tell by the pics....
OK 99% can be removed! Most Stripe guys wont clear over. 1. cost 2. you have to clearcoat the whole panel or side of the vehicle. Those are definatly done by hand and with a striping brush or pen............They will remove with some thinner or remover............

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
My dad did pinstriping by hand on the very, very expensive classic cars of the 1920's including one of Henry Fords personal cars. He said that back then the pinstripes were so fine that except at a close distance you couldn't see them but you could tell they were there because they would enhance the natural lines of the car subconciously. Most of those old cars were black, the pinstripes would be gold, and the widths were down in the hundredths of an inch. He painted with a brush that started out about a 1/2 inch in diameter to carry the paint but tapered down to just a few hairs and resembled a caligraphers brush. He made his own brushes. Pin stripes went the length of the car and were painted in one long smooth stroke. Some of those old cars were nearly 20 feet long. He also did some decorative work in gold leaf. He made outer radiator shells by hand from German silver and beat out and fabricated front fenders by hand from sheet steel. My dad also had the most beautiful penmanship you ever saw and at one time made a good living hand printing business cards.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dkozloski, I might seriously consider a piece of work like your Pop did cause I've seen work like that... but otherwise
DON'T DO IT!
Let the natural planes define the car... a Zaino polish does so much for the depth of the line, it's really not required.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I visited my Cady dealer and every new CTS had three lines of pinstripe, which added about $300 to the cost of the car. Nice mark up for the dealer. About the pinstripe ,it did not look bad but I would not added to my silver smoke CTS.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Dubbed Stealth said:
OK 99% can be removed! Most Stripe guys wont clear over. 1. cost 2. you have to clearcoat the whole panel or side of the vehicle. Those are definatly done by hand and with a striping brush or pen............They will remove with some thinner or remover............
Paint thinner won't damage the clear eh? No fogging or...dulling where the thinner was applied?

I've been getting shafted for a few months now, buying special paint remover....about 3 times the cost/L of paint thinner...ouch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts