Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1984 Eldorado keeps kicking heat into the vehicle. I have the temp down to 60 degree and the controls are off. Whats up, any help out there...:banghead:

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Re: To much HEAT

You probably have a broken vacuum line. Very common in the older automobiles. They vacuum lines that control your HVAC are behind the dash. I had to replace mines in my 85 monte carlo. Not fun.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado
42 Posts

hey latinowarrior. I know this is three years later, but if you're still around, can you tell me how you fixed it? My does the same thing.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts

He hasn't checked in in just over 3 years.

Update your profile to show your car/model/year - it helps keep diagnosis on the right track.

·
Registered
2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS
544 Posts
There is a door controled by the climated control on the passenger side . I bet its stuck open. I had the same problem, except door was closed. I was freezing to death in the winter . There is some type of electronic control box over there, I had to replace mine with one from the junker. I was a a while a go so IM a little fuzzy on it. A FSM would be helpful.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Remove glove box liner. Look upwards towards the defrost ducting. Locate the metal threaded rod that should be connected to a white plastic retainer. That retainer comes out of the climate programmer. Gently disconnect the rod by lifting up to unsnap it. Now with the car running and at normal temperature verify that this rod moves to close the blend door then fully open to open the blend door. Assuming it moves, pull the threaded rod to that retainer and snap the rod back on at the 90 degree setting ( you will hear the blend door fully open). Now, assuming everything is working as designed, you should see the rod disappear towards the dash at 60 degrees, then pivot back toward you at 90 degrees. I think the rod is misadjusted, leaving the blend door not fully shut at 60 degrees. Also while you're looking at the rod, notice the ribbed plastic hose coming from the programmer up into the dash top. Make sure that hose is NOT kinked and is fully on the nipple on the programmer. That hose sucks in interior air to tell the programmer where to move the blend door. If kinked or off, the programmer delays or never gets that signal to adjust the temperature to what you've set on the display.

----------

And....... this should have been a new thread, not tacked onto a 3 yr old topic.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,110 Posts
Sorry about that. I'll make sure I don't do that again.
Two ways to look at this:

1.You found old info on your problem and asked a pertinent question - not a problem as the same problem/questions/solutions are still in the same thread.

2. You jump into someone's current thread with a same or totally different question and thereby possibly "hijack" the thread.

There's a fine line between bringing old info back to life and hijacking a current thread.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado
42 Posts
Thanks for the protocols. I'm newbie so I guess this happens. But I'm good at learning. Do hesitate to let me know and I'll make sure I don't mix subjects in a thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts