·
Registered
1987 Brougham
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wheels.jpg

wheels 2.jpg

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/5400241140.html

I have dreamed of locating a set of true spokes for my 1987 Brougham. She is in nice driver shape. I posed her here before. The problem is very hard to find and expensive. I found this sad, sad car online. It has the spokes but I know nothing of what to look for regarding buying a set. I asked the seller for clearer pics. Can you folks offer this newb any advice?

Thanks!

Phil

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
628 Posts
Being from PA, rust would be the first thing to look at. But, for $400, you can't really go wrong; take the wheels, harvest the parts you need, sell other parts and scrap the carcass. Between selling parts and scrapping what's left, the wheels should be free. If necessary, you could have them rechromed.

I'm sure you can spot the chrome wheels, but to me they look like hubcaps (but I am no expert).

Good Luck, if it has the wheels you want, go get it.

Tom

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom!

My baby does not need any other parts. Whew!!! She is a bit of a pampered girl. I feel terrible about scrapping the rest but I might just off the harder to find parts first.

Anyone know if a good cleaning polishing on rims is something someone with no experience can do?

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,950 Posts
First of all, your baby needs other parts, you have just not been made aware of them yet!:lol:
We could all give you some suggestions of what to keep if the deal goes through.

Those are wire wheels not hub caps, I do not know of original, or after factory.
I bought a set of 80 spokes for my 74 and they had rust and silver paint on them. I have only done one, but it came out nice with brass brush on Dremel tool.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tailsmandave. How very true. I am going to go look at it on Saturday. I really think that they will dress up Rosie nicely once cleaned up.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
628 Posts
Phil

When you go to look at it Saturday, bring $400 with you (put $300 in one pocket and $100 in the other); offer him $300. Dave knows better than I, but those wheels have to be worth at least $100 each if they're in respectable condition. I don't see how you can loose.

And as Dave pointed out, "My baby does not need any other parts." What you should have said "My baby does not need any other parts, now."

Tom

·
Registered
1996 Federal Heritage Hearse
213 Posts
It is listed in Reading but not anywhere close. You could see Centrailia while you are up there though.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Not to be negative, but to make them rims real nice they will have to be re chromed and it will cost a small fortuine.

·
Registered
2003 Deville base, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest......well....
492 Posts
Make sure the wheels have no loose spokes and they hold air, otherwise you will be re sealing. Not hard just need to be done thoroughly, could say I've done a few myself. Basically strip the old seal off and re caulk. If the spoke are loose they probably aren't true (balanced ), that will be a professionals job. One or two you might be able to tighten. I would offer 300. You can find nice sets for 400- on up.

Go to ebay and check out Craigslist on the West Coast, preferably Cali. So you get an idea.

A wire wheel being true applies to all wire wheels. Not just Tru spokes.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,699 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It's not very clear from those pics but the rims look rusty. You can get a better set cheaper then having them redone. Since you're only after the car for that you might not want to.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your wise counsel. It is appreciated. I think I will hold off on this adventure. jayoldschool was correct, one center is missing. I think between that and the general condition of them it sounds like a money pit.

larryinalabama is correct too, rechroming is 200 per rim. I had to call the only place in the are who does that to find out.

Rosie will ride on her perfect condition new whitewalls and sparkling wire wheel covers for a bit longer.

It is nice to have a dream though, right?

·
Registered
2008 DTS 1980 CDV. Past 1990 Bro. 1981 SDV diesel
360 Posts
I picked up an exceptional set of dealer installed(that's the only way they came as I've been told, not factory) wires last year. They're from a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham. The best I've seen in my two year search. I paid through the teeth for them. Got to spend it on something I suppose.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I picked up an exceptional set of dealer installed(that's the only way they came as I've been told, not factory) wires last year. They're from a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham. The best I've seen in my two year search. I paid through the teeth for them. Got to spend it on something I suppose.
They were factory installed if a car was originally ordered with them, they were dealer installed if someone wanted them after the car was ordered or someone bought a car off the lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham
20 Posts
Hello dee Mont,
I saw your post, do you have any pictures? Yes! I would be interested for my 1991 Cadillac Brougham. Thanks, John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts