Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
K I'm done, you're just annoying at this point. If you think the XT5 stock tires are snow rated then you are very wrong. All Season does not mean winter rated, it's a marketing ploy and confusing to those who don't truly understand that just cause they may be called All Season does not mean they are meant to tackle winter below freezing. If you don't get below freezing most of the winter then yes the stock tires are perfect. Your previous posts you seemed like a good dude but now you just want to argue about the effectiveness of winter tires cause you don't have problems driving without them.

You don't wear a seatbelt because you smash into things all the time. You wear it because of that one time you need it, it may just save your life. I for one will use the proper tire for the conditions so that those rare times that I need my vehicle to STOP in slippery conditions I can do so in a MUCH shorter distance and not crash. ROI on tires, please. We're in a luxury vehicle forum and you're talking about hauling your winter toys around. I'm sure we can all afford a pair of tires. Go do it your way ok bud, but don't recommend to others who travel in below freezing much of the winter not to use the proper tires. It's their life your messing with, be responsible.

Registered
LOL, thank you Philly. Your opinion is loud and clear. I celebrate your right to an opinion, and your insistence that terrain and conditions don't matter, and that everyone must use snow tires, no matter what. That is certainly an opinion you are entitled to embrace. Have a nice weekend.

Oh btw, thanks for the tip about seatbelts. I was wondering about those do-hickey's. 馃槣

Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)

Registered
2020 Cadillac Premium Luxury XT5

Registered
Hello everyone i stay in Syracuse ny. This will be my first winter with my 2020 xt5 tying to figure out if i should get winter tires for the truck or not.
Hello - I have 2017 xt5 - original owner... currently has approximately 48k miles.... Had Michelins originally... I ended up checking with Tire Rack .. online.. After comparing multiple tires... I went with the BFGOODRICH ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT - Much nicer tire.. Love it... softer ride... handles great. Tires have approximately 6k miles. Have made 2 long trips made for enjoyable ride. First thing noticed was how quiet they were.... Drove posted speed limit through storms along 95. Xt5 handled very well. - Hope this helps ... PR

Registered
1 more thing ... my xt5 is a platinum. and though the service mgr recommended staying with original type... He did install the BF Goodrich .. matching Tire Rack pricing....

Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Sedan
I live in Illinois and commute to Chicago for work 50 miles a day. Here it's nice 1 day and freezing the next, so the roads are unpredictable in the winter. I've ran a winter tire on the last 4 vehicles. Now depending on how much you travel, and if you have kids and if you don't like the way the vehicle handles in the snow buy them. It's a good piece of mind investment. This is my first AWD vehicle. I'm going to try the All-Season's this winter. If I don't like them, I'll get a set of winter tires and wheels. And have Discount Tire store them and swap them over. Good luck to you.

Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
1 more thing ... my xt5 is a platinum. and though the service mgr recommended staying with original type... He did install the BF Goodrich .. matching Tire Rack pricing....
Staying with the original tire makes zero difference other than the dealer gets these tires at an incredibly cheap price, so margin margin margin. But if you stay with the exact same size tire you can switch brands and tire season type no problem. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. In fact in most forums when tires come up most people don't love the stock tires any car comes with. My XT5 has only 38,000km on it and the stock tires are worn to the indicators already. That's pretty bad. I will not replace with the same tire for sure. Keeping in mind I also run winters, so 5 months of the year the stock tires aren't even being run and I still have that much wear.

Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, Dark Adriatic Blue Metalic, Maple Sugar
Staying with the original tire makes zero difference other than the dealer gets these tires at an incredibly cheap price, so margin margin margin. But if you stay with the exact same size tire you can switch brands and tire season type no problem. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. In fact in most forums when tires come up most people don't love the stock tires any car comes with. My XT5 has only 38,000km on it and the stock tires are worn to the indicators already. That's pretty bad. I will not replace with the same tire for sure. Keeping in mind I also run winters, so 5 months of the year the stock tires aren't even being run and I still have that much wear.
Apparently I鈥檝e been fortunate, I have 45,000 miles on my original Michelin 20鈥 tires. It looks like they have 5000 more miles to go before they hit the worn indicators. So I鈥檓 in the market for new tires. I am a Snowbird who travels to Florida in the winter time. I don鈥檛 need snow tires, winter tires, or even all season tires. I鈥檓 looking for touring tires that have an excellent rain traction rating, and have an A rating for treadwear and temperature.

Do you, or anyone, have any recommendations?

Registered
2017 XT5 premium luxury
YES, get winter tires. AWD or FWD doesn't matter. Where you are you get snow and slush and ice. Similar, although we get it worse, to where I live.
Maybe your all-season, which really AREN'T all-season, they are really 3-season, tires might seem ok if you have AWD. They might keep you moving forward sufficiently. But in ice or any moderately slippery condition 3-season tires do not perform nearly as well as winters. It's the stopping that's the big issue. A winter rated tire will stop dramatically sooner than non-winters on slippery roads. And accidents happen when trying to stop most of the time but can't on time. And don't cheap out on low cost winters. They will last a long time, you'll get you money's worth out of them and extend the life of your 3-seasons. I run only Nokian Hakkapeliitta's, YouTube them, they are pretty much the best out there. If you don't buy those then there are some other top end winters that perform very well.

Going back to the all-season topic. If it is truly an all-season then it has to have the mountain / snowflake logo on it to rate it as a winter, there are a few of these, but certainly not the ones that come stock with any GM vehicle. These winter rated all-seasons are not even close to as effective as a true winter. If it doesn't have a winter rating on it specifically it's not all-season, it's 3-season, and not even close to a winter tire.
I totally agree with Philly, I'm from upstate NY drove Tractor Trailer for many years so i've learned alot about driving in icy,snowy conditions I Have for decades always had 4 dedicated snow&ice tires on all my vehicles for the safety of my family and others. Like Philly says, make sure they have that logo on the sidewall, 'nuff said!

Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
I totally agree with Philly, I'm from upstate NY drove Tractor Trailer for many years so i've learned alot about driving in icy,snowy conditions I Have for decades always had 4 dedicated snow&ice tires on all my vehicles for the safety of my family and others. Like Philly says, make sure they have that logo on the sidewall, 'nuff said!
Do you swap tires on stock rims or did you purchase a 2nd set of rims?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts