Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for new tires on my 95 Cadillac STS, it currently has 225/60ZR16 Goodyear Eagle GA's which are almost completely bald,they're expensive to replace and wear extremely quickly...I want to get a good all season tire with a sportly look that won't wear so quickly, and I'd also like to move up a size width wise(235's) how much will moving up a size affect my speedo? Any recomendations for tires?

Thanks
Zack
 

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
Joined
·
86,785 Posts
235 is the tire width (235 milimeters). It won't affect your speedometer at all.
 

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
Joined
·
712 Posts
Ranger is exactly right, width will make no difference on your speedometer... and they should fit. I have seen that done.

Check your driver's side door sticker for the tire....it is probably an "H" rated tire.

Which means you do not need to pay extra for a "Z" rated tire....

Find a decent "H" rated tire and go with that, would be my humble opinion....Opinions really vary on tire brands, wear, softness, etc... How you drive, where you drive has a lot to do with it.

I personally have GoodYear now, and while I like the tire & the way it handles, it is wearing fast for me. BF Goodrich lasted longer, for my driving, in an ETC, 1997. Also on my truck, a 99 Tahoe LT, the Goodrich is lasting forever. 70,000 and counting.... but that's a very different tire, and a different driving style, probably not fair to compare.

Just my humble opinion....you will doubtlessly find other opinions out there. My opinion, and $5, will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.... take it for what it's worth.
 

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
I have 235/60R16 Michelins (H rated). I am very pleased with those. I have had Goodyears on another vehicle and they didn't seem to last long. Bad enough that I have sworn them off. I don't think I will buy Goodyears again.
 

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
I have Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (H-rated) on my 2003 STS. These are the standard tires that GM puts on these cars. I have 44k on them and I'm surprised of the amount of tread left - they still have a lot of life yet. It will make the winter just fine.

Quiet, but squeals a little bit around corners easily, but I don't mind.

Walmart sells them for $167 each.
Tirerack sells them for $148 each.

You can get Goodyear RS-A (H-rated) for $138 at Walmart.
For $11 each more, you can get the W-rated RS-A for $149 each.
 

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Just bought the same tire as Thu mentioned, last month for $144 each at Discount Tire. The same tires were on my car when I bought it, 30K miles ago. When I bought the car, the tires were in excellent shape, but not new.
 

·
Registered
2010 Black Cherry CTS AWD
Joined
·
263 Posts
A good idea is, go to www.tirerack.com to look up the tire size that was for your car. Then pick and choose through the types of tires and categories. I just bought a set of 4 Kumho ECSTA ASX's for my 99 SLS. They'll be here on Tuesday. A good thing about tirerack is that you can have it billed to you and shipped to one of their recommended installers near you. Check them out, I'm sure it'll help alot. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Ranger said:
235 is the tire width (235 milimeters). It won't affect your speedometer at all.
Sure it will. A 235/60/16 tire is definitely taller than a 225/60/16 tire in the same brand. Probably not enough to throw the speedo off by enough to worry about, but that's what plus sizing ia all about. The wider you go, the lower profile you need to look at to maintain the same tire height.

As far as tires go, a good bang for the buck is the Falken 512. They can be had mail order at Discount Tire for a great price or you can go to the local Dicount Tire/America Tire and they will usually match the price. At $66.00 including shipping these tires are a real bargain.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?sw=false&cs=235&pc=28872&rd=16&ar=60

:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
maxtorque02 said:
Sure it will. A 235/60/16 tire is definitely taller than a 225/60/16 tire in the same brand. Probably not enough to throw the speedo off by enough to worry about, but that's what plus sizing ia all about. The wider you go, the lower profile you need to look at to maintain the same tire height.

As far as tires go, a good bang for the buck is the Falken 512. They can be had mail order at Discount Tire for a great price or you can go to the local Dicount Tire/America Tire and they will usually match the price. At $66.00 including shipping these tires are a real bargain.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?sw=false&cs=235&pc=28872&rd=16&ar=60

:thumbsup:
I double the motion for Falken Ziex Ze-512. Sharp looking, all-weather performance tire. Consumer Reports' best buy.
 

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
Joined
·
86,785 Posts
maxtorque02 said:
Sure it will. A 235/60/16 tire is definitely taller than a 225/60/16 tire in the same brand. Probably not enough to throw the speedo off by enough to worry about, but that's what plus sizing ia all about. The wider you go, the lower profile you need to look at to maintain the same tire height.
The only difference between a 235/60/16 and a 225/60/16 is 10mm width. Tire width will not affect the speedometer. Both have a wall that is 60% the width and both are 16" wheel diameter.

235 = width of the tire in mm
60 = height of the tire (from tread to rim in percent of width)
16 = wheel diameter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I'm pretty new here, but if the "60" in 235/60/16 is a percentage, of the "235" then doesn't changing the width change the hieght, even if it's not changing the percentage? I need new tires too!

60% of 235mm = 141mm
60% of 225mm = 135mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Ranger said:
The only difference between a 235/60/16 and a 225/60/16 is 10mm width. Tire width will not affect the speedometer. Both have a wall that is 60% the width and both are 16" wheel diameter.

235 = width of the tire in mm
60 = height of the tire (from tread to rim in percent of width)
16 = wheel diameter
This should help you better understand the difference between tire sizes. It's a great tool that compares different size tires and the effect it has on the speedometer. A 235 is deffinitely taller than a 225.

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html
 

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
Joined
·
86,785 Posts
daimo42 said:
I'm pretty new here, but if the "60" in 235/60/16 is a percentage, of the "235" then doesn't changing the width change the hieght, even if it's not changing the percentage? I need new tires too!

60% of 235mm = 141mm
60% of 225mm = 135mm
Hmm, very good point. I think I stand corrected. :eek:
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
It would be about 9% off. As in speedo at 65 when you're actually doing almost 71...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all who responded, you've been a big help. According to Miata.net if I increase my size to 235/60 my speedo will be 2% out, not enough to really make a difference so I am gunna go for it.

Thanks
Zack
 

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Shouldn't you be able to calibrate your speedo? I suspect the dealer can do this....
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top