Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Coupe V6 DI Performance Collection
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a tire gets trashed, must all 4 tires be replaced on a CTS AWD? Is there a wear tolerance allowed between the old and new? Example 2/32nds. Recently heard on the "Car Guys-Click and Clack the tappet brothers" a caller was told that all four had to be replaced?:hmm:

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
If a tire gets trashed, must all 4 tires be replaced on a CTS AWD? Is there a wear tolerance allowed between the old and new? Example 2/32nds. Recently heard on the "Car Guys-Click and Clack the tappet brothers" a caller was told that all four had to be replaced?:hmm:
If the wear is slight and you're replacing with the exact same tire, you can get away with replacing two - and perhaps even just one (only if the wear is very slight). At least, that's the conventional wisdom based on the additional strain on AWD differentials. I think that 2/32nds of wear would be enough to require a replacement of two - if not all four. You could get away with replacing two if you were able to always keep these two on the same axle (preferably rear) - usually this is not practical.

An alternative is to buy just one and have 2/32nds of rubber shaved off it. A good performance shop should have the equipment to do this and it usually costs no more than $25 or so.

http://www.tireshaving.com/tire_shaving/tire_shaving_info.htm

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I have an AWD CTS and had a blow out on one tire at around 8,000 miles. The dealer just replaced the single tire.

That being said, I would have preferred if it didn't happen. If the tires were over 50% used I would have been inclined to replace all four. In terms of what is OK, who knows.....

Under normal conditions all 4 tires should be replaced at once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts