Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those waiting for R-S4 sizes to show up Tirerack is now showing some 18 inch sizes. I expect a full card soon.

·
Registered
'17 ATS-V Phantom Grey Sedan 8AT
136 Posts
For those waiting for R-S4 sizes to show up Tirerack is now showing some 18 inch sizes. I expect a full card soon.
Last year, they had a discount promotion a few weeks after they released their stock for the year....but that might have been pandemic related as their goal is to sell the year's production by the end of summer.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
Great news. I'll hold off on ordering the Toyo Proxes R888R and wait for the 265, 285 Hankook sizes to show up. Thanks.

In response to jim1890, I run the Michelin 4s on the street on my stock rims, but I have an extra set of rims for my track day tires and I have found that the Hankooks perform very well and hold up better than the Michelins to track day abuse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why would you buy these tires over the Michelin 4s?
RKTROY is waaaay more experienced on track than I am, and I have few other benchmarks to compare this tire to on this platform, but I agree. These are very durable and predictable, both hot and cold performance. I've run these on track wet also with pretty decent grip. These would NOT be good tires for places with inclement weather and lots of commuting, that is where the 4S are preferred. I use these on my OEM wheels for summer only, and I drive 5-6k/summer mostly on city surface streets (Chicago), so I don't need the all-weather, highway commuting performance needs, but I do want a versatile street/track tire. The durability of these are impressive versus the price. At the end of their life, they start to howl... but otherwise they are impressively quiet for highway trips.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, several of us run these sizes. Unlike those running even wider on the rear with stock wheels, these are within the specified wheel width range to maintain tread contact without extra measures.

As noted above, these are great for various track and competition uses. I run them from mid-April till late October or so on the street (avoiding temps below 40). Extreme performance tires aren't meant for the folks who just stay on the street. There's generally a big difference between what's considered high performance street driving vs. going for the last .001 second. The R-S4s aren't the absolute fastest tire out there but lacking a few percentage points while not having to buy 2 or 3 sets is well worth it to me. My driving is the limiting point, not the tires...

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V 6M Sedan
155 Posts
They look directional but symmetrical. Can they be flipped on the wheel so they can be rotated?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't done so since my alignment evens out the wear pretty well but, yes, they're flippable.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both front sizes (255/35 and 265/35-18) are now on the Tirerack website. Hopefully rears soon.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
They look directional but symmetrical. Can they be flipped on the wheel so they can be rotated?
I did both on my current set (flip on rim and rotate left right without flipping). This was to maximize life since some tracks I run definitely wear one side more than the other, so Saturday I'll run normal and flip left right on Sunday. This means the pattern is backwards but since I was on a dry track I didn't notice a difference in grip. Then half way through the tire life I took them to the tire shop to have them flipped on the rims. I get more wear on the outside than the inside so flipping on the rims gets me a few extra days of life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been wanting to get some new rs4s and had a look at tire rack, but they’re not available for Denver area (285s, anyway). Went to the hankook website directly, and was able to purchase them at a better price, with 2 day shipping.

btw I drive on these all year, but only on clear roads. I did many of my remote tune data logs at 20°f, with much more grip than I’d expect. I’ve even accidentally driven in 2” fresh snow with no slippage whatsoever. Way better in the cold than others would have you believe.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
Went to the hankook website directly, and was able to purchase them at a better price, with 2 day shipping.
Would you please share the URL you used for Hankook. The one I found, hankooktire.com/us has no option for purchasing online, and when I selected web order, I needed a password.
Thanks.
Blessings.
Roy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tirerack now has the 285/35-18s showing. As for pricing, be sure to factor in shipping (Tirerack is "free").

·
Registered
136 Posts
Would you please share the URL you used for Hankook. The one I found, hankooktire.com/us has no option for purchasing online, and when I selected web order, I needed a password.
Thanks.
Blessings.
Roy.
Go get 'em! ...and smoke 'em if ya already got 'em!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Already ordered from Tirerack. A $40 difference is worth the customer service (and loyalty). Good to know about this website, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks.
Blessings.
Roy.
Hey Roy, sorry for the delay. Hankook RS4 Tires

They came with a new weird Hankook graphic, which is a little annoying, but super fast shipping good price. Tirerack didn't have the 285s avail for me, glad I could buy directly.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V 6sp MT sedan
275 Posts
Hey Roy, sorry for the delay. Hankook RS4 Tires

They came with a new weird Hankook graphic, which is a little annoying, but super fast shipping good price. Tirerack didn't have the 285s avail for me, glad I could buy directly.
Thanks. It's good to have a second source.
After checking prices and including shipping, Tire Rack turned out to be $44 cheaper than Hankook (the 265's appear to be on sale), plus they now have the 285's available. So I just ordered a set for $1191.20 after CA tax and CA tire fee. Interestingly the last time I bought these from Tire Rack on 5/10/19 I paid $74 less.
Thanks everyone.
Blessings.
Roy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. It's good to have a second source.
After checking prices and including shipping, Tire Rack turned out to be $44 cheaper than Hankook (the 265's appear to be on sale), plus they now have the 285's available. So I just ordered a set for $1191.20 after CA tax and CA tire fee. Interestingly the last time I bought these from Tire Rack on 5/10/19 I paid $74 less.
Thanks everyone.
Blessings.
Roy.
Glad you got what you needed. Interesting info on the price. I looked and saw I paid $1112.xx with shipping to CO. No taxes paid. Hell of a tire at either price. Stoked to see some more footage of you in track! Be well, go fast :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts