Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got me a set of 4.7k ohm resistors recently and thought that I now would finally kill that service suspension notification that constantly shows on the display at every start up.

Just curios of a neat way how to install them.
I have so far only looked at the rear wheels where there is a cable from the shock to a joint further in under the car, and I was thinking on removing that cable and then put the resistor (after bending the ends) in the connection joint and finally encapsulate it with electric tape.

But I’m all ears for other ways to do this

I’m not replacing any shocks, not at this point, just want to get rid of the service suspension alarm on the dash, so first base will be to see if there anything that could be fixed as broken wire, corroded connectors etc, and second to install the resistors.

My current RSS fault codes below, not all of them trigger the service suspension alarm I suppose

RSS C1710 current LF Damper Actuator Short CKT to battery

RSS C1763 current RR Position Sensor input fault

RSS C1780 current Loss of steering position signal

RSS C1784 current ICCS2 DL Right output short CKT to battery

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
Got me a set of 4.7k ohm resistors recently and thought that I now would finally kill that service suspension notification that constantly shows on the display at every start up.

Just curios of a neat way how to install them.
I have so far only looked at the rear wheels where there is a cable from the shock to a joint further in under the car, and I was thinking on removing that cable and then put the resistor (after bending the ends) in the connection joint and finally encapsulate it with electric tape.

But I’m all ears for other ways to do this

I’m not replacing any shocks, not at this point, just want to get rid of the service suspension alarm on the dash, so first base will be to see if there anything that could be fixed as broken wire, corroded connectors etc, and second to install the resistors.

My current RSS fault codes below, not all of them trigger the service suspension alarm I suppose

RSS C1710 current LF Damper Actuator Short CKT to battery

RSS C1763 current RR Position Sensor input fault

RSS C1780 current Loss of steering position signal

RSS C1784 current ICCS2 DL Right output short CKT to battery
=======================
you obviously have more issues than simply installing the resistors -

the resistor trick is used to satisfy the computer when non-electronic shocks and struts are installed -
you simply stick the 2 wires of the resistor into the plug that the shocks/struts plugged into -
and YES wrap them up with electrical tape or heat-shrink tubing - to waterproof them -

HOWEVER - you have BIGGER issues -

C1780 current Loss of steering position signal
THIS points to a failed STEERING POSITION SENSOR -
and this is the cause of the SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM warning message -

there is no "trick" or 'work-around" for this one -
the ONLY solution is to replace the sensor - located at the bottom of the steering column -
YES - the steering column must be removed to replace this sensor -

here is the part number - GM-26058287 - unfortunately - it's a DISCONTINUED part -

the OTHER issue you have is C1763 current RR Position Sensor input fault -
this can be ignored because the electronic shocks and struts don't work -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
.........yep - you have bigger issues other than strut and shock failure problems.

The C 1710 points to wiring or connector problems - resistor won't cure that, and the C 1784 is also circuit-oriented.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, just the input I needed.

Ok, so to kill the service suspension alarm on the dash, all RSS codes needs to go and there is now way to trick away the C1780.

Replacing the steering position sensor seems like a lot of work for nothing accept a vague possibility to get the stability system working again, it might even create more problems than it solves, and has been pointed out they are out of stock anyway.

So I think I’ll try and fix the possible grounding or connector issues with C1710 and C1784 and then continue to live with the service suspension alarm.

Just a thought regarding the RSS C1780; shouldn’t that trigger the Service Stability System alarm as well?
I only get up the Service Suspension System alarm, as I recall anyway, the car is put away over the winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts