Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS 4 3.6L AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just took CTS out of storage for winter took her for a week of rides and blew a front left tire. So that said tires were rather new and both front tires appear to have wear on inside tread. Blow out appears to be from well worn inside tread. So 2 questions. 1 What would cause both tires to wear on inside. and 2 dealer suggested I replace all 4 tires as its all wheel drive. I figure both fronts to ensure tread depth is similar, but as i checked the other front tire I see its got wear on inside so I will replace both but dealer saws do all. Rears are like new.

Thoughts? just because all wheel if one tire goes I should replace all 4?

Rags

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Unusual tire wear is mainly caused by wrong wheel alignment. If your tires are not older than 3 years I wouldn't replace all of them, but only two with same brand and type as you have today.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
The car being an AWD I agree with your dealer ( I don't usually do that ) and replace all 4.

·
Registered
2008 CTS DI F3 Sport Suspension
200 Posts
If your going to replace your tires get A/S 3 pilot sport tires. Memorial Day weekend is coming up Discount tires usually have a special , "Buy 3 get the 4th one free".

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,037 Posts
Does Cadillac put any cautions in the Owner's Manual regarding tire changes/replacements for the AWD cars? One of my other cars is a Subaru, and Subaru is very specific in the manual about how much of a difference is permissible if one is not replacing the full set of tires.

What is the actual tread depth on your "like new" rear tires? If your rear tires truly are "like new" (when tread depth is measured with a tread gauge), then you should be fine replacing just the fronts with the same size/brand/model. If the same size/brand/model is no longer available, or if the measured tread depth turns out to be a couple/few 32nds of an inch off the new tread depth, then you should replace all four.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI
269 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought alignments were a waste of time on our vehicles?

Also: I blew out my front right tire after about 2 years. I only replaced the one tire and have had no issues. If the other tires are like new then you have nothing to worry about. Only when the tread is very off it may effect handling etc

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
Alignments are definitely NOT a waste of time. Regular tire rotation is also a good idea. Both help your tires wear more evenly and last longer. He also said the inside edge of his remaining front was severely worn. If they have been rotated, the rears may also be worn on the inside edge, if the haven't they likely at least 1/3 worn. Since the rears tend to wear a bit faster on these cars.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,339 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought alignments were a waste of time on our vehicles?

Also: I blew out my front right tire after about 2 years. I only replaced the one tire and have had no issues. If the other tires are like new then you have nothing to worry about. Only when the tread is very off it may effect handling etc
Please take this as a formal correction to your point about the need for alignment. GET YOUR CAR ALIGNED!!!!

·
Registered
Sold my 2009 CTS4 and my 2004 CTS
121 Posts
The traditional alignment was an adjustment of the toe, camber, caster. Nowadays, the only thing adjustable on most cars is the toe.
So, now what happens, you get an alignment check, and they try to figure out what is bent and needs to be replaced.
(A few years ago, I hit a curb with my Bonneville, and they ended up replacing the engine cradle to fix the alignment.)

The generally accepted rule is to replace all 4 tires, especially on AWD. Unequal diameter tires or a tire with different frictional characteristics, tread, rubber compound will have an affect on handling and differential/axle wear. But, I'm pretty sure it was the tire guys that wrote that rule.

Personal opinion; 99% of us wouldn't notice the effect on handling, and your differential isn't going to wear enough to notice.
I've done a lot of one tire replacements (even AWD), and have survived.
I only get an "alignment" after an accident. For slight tire wear... rotate the tires, ruin them all, replace them all.
I will NOT replace a single tire on a 4WD... like my 1999 F150. AWD and 4WD are different.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
While alignments may not be as easy to do as they used to be and cars may not be as adjustable, alignments are still the only way to make sure the tires are oriented properly. If you live somewhere with good roads and no potholes, you might get away with never aligning a car. If not, or if you hit a curb or road debris, or if you notice the tires wearing unevenly or the car pull to one side YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts