Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS 2.8L - Silver - 6 Speed Manual
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the back tires on my CTS (the front ones are fairly new). I've been told to get the same as on the front. Is tire matching just for looks? Is there a functional reason to get exactly the same tires all around?

:confused:

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
Tires should be replaced together, this will ensure proper ride quality, performance, and tire wear. But since the front ones are still good (must doing some burnouts since the back ones went so fast :)) you can just replace the rears. I would suggest getting the same as the front, again to ensure ride quality. Remember to rotate your tires every 6-8,000k, and re-balance every other rotation. This will increase the tire's lifespan greatly.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
you dont HAVE to get the same tires on front and back. but you SHOULD at least have left and right rears matching and left and right front matching.
the point in having 4 identical tires is for the above reasons, but also because different brands of tires act different in different road and weather conditions, such as rain.
your fronts are good you said so i wouldnt replace them, try to get the same tires for the back but if you dont i wouldn't loose sleep over it.
generally under normal use front tires wear out more, unless you are spinning the rears.
its AWD vehicles that have to have all 4 tires replaced at the same time with all identical tread, reason being if they are different you can ruin drive line parts.

wait, didnt you just get this car??? was it from a certified GM dealership ? (or any branded dealership, even if you buy it from a certified acura dealer)
reason being, is it passed your safety inspection and the place you got it from cant give you a unsafe vehicle.
my girls jag the doors wouldnt open from the inside to exit when we went to pick it up, i threatened the dealership with supplying a fake safety and had them do a bunch of extra work it also needed like brakes and other safety related items. they first tried to claim it was a 3rd party safety then i grabbed the paperwork and showed them its clearly issued by their dealership.
also filed a claim against them for the transmission on the car, we told them it was slipping and they said it wasnt, then it blew and we had a papertrail so they paid up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks y'all.

The guy who had the car before me replaced the front tires about a year ago, but the back ones are originals (no burn outs for me!). The front tires are sort of generic looking but I know where he got them, so I can get the same ones for the back.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
For future reference, grab some Cooper CS4 Touring tires for your next set. Awesome tire and they won't totally break the bank. And get the V rated ones, you'll get an extra rain channel that way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Thanks y'all.
The guy who had the car before me replaced the front tires about a year ago, but the back ones are originals (no burn outs for me!). The front tires are sort of generic looking but I know where he got them, so I can get the same ones for the back.
You're lucky you don't need snow tires as well. Extra wheels & tires can be expensive.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
Never paid for a set of snow tires in my life. Just always purchased a solid set of all-season's. Up in Onatario though, I could definitely see the need for them.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black 1SC
493 Posts
For future reference, grab some Cooper CS4 Touring tires for your next set. Awesome tire and they won't totally break the bank. And get the V rated ones, you'll get an extra rain channel that way :thumbsup:
Everyone has an opinion/experience with tires but I would stay away from Cooper all together from my personal experience - besides, the CS4 Touring tires you mention are 131 bucks each, I would rather put a set of Hankook Ventus V4's on for about 85 bucks each over the Cooper tires, especially if looking to save some cash...I think the new Eagle GT's are only a couple bucks over 100 for the 16 inchers that Ms Pinky needs...

As far as the original question - I think the always informative ghettomike himself answered that question completely...But man, walking up to my car and seeing 2 diffrent tires on the front and back would drive me and my OCD to the point of complete madness...Buy all 4 new and sell the 2 bobo tires the previous owner chose on Craigslist to recoup some fo the cash...

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
For Solid All Seasons that won't let you down in any weather (especially in the rain), I'd get Continental DWS tires. I've been on them for over 8k now, and they've honestly been some of the best tires I've run. They do good in the snow, but they are the most solid all season I've driven in the rain with.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I'm not familiar with nexen nor ever used them. Word of advice though, if you plan on buying NEW tires, buy a full set of 4. Otherwise, just find some decent used tires in the meantime. Makes more sense to replace all 4 then to buy 2 new and keep 2 used.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
[
QUOTE=PinkLisa;2508707]The front tires are "Nexen" brand. Any opinions on them?
[/QUOTE]
Nexxen is what Wal-Mart sells up here. Cheap.
I've heard good & bad about them,but never used them.
I have Dunlop SP Sport Signature's on the car now,dealer installed 'em,I had to replace one & it cost me $263.00 CAD. They are nice looking & good in the rain but not much in snow,lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nexxen is what Wal-Mart sells up here. Cheap.
I've heard good & bad about them,but never used them.
I have Dunlop SP Sport Signature's on the car now,dealer installed 'em,I had to replace one & it cost me $263.00 CAD. They are nice looking & good in the rain but not much in snow,lol.[/QUOTE]

Well I know they came from SunTire because I have the receipt and they were $92 each in March 2010. Do they sound like the same as the WalMart tires?

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Lisa,
Yes to me they sound like the same ones. I'm sure they are good tires. They have to pass standards.
Just make sure you get the proper rating for your car. (S,V,W, etc.)
Check the sticker inside the driver's door.Or if you can, find out what came on the car from factory.
You could also go to Tirerack.com,
Hope this helps, not confuses you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lisa,
Yes to me they sound like the same ones. I'm sure they are good tires. They have to pass standards.
Just make sure you get the proper rating for your car. (S,V,W, etc.)
Check the sticker inside the driver's door.Or if you can, find out what came on the car from factory.
You could also go to Tirerack.com,
Hope this helps, not confuses you.
Yep it does help. The current back tires are from the factory. The car only has 33k miles even though its 6 years old. I'm not wild about the idea of buying 4 new ones, so I'll probably just get the Nexens. They are correct for the car according to the guidelines.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
nexan tires are now sold at walmart, but they werent a few years ago, its a popular tire for imports because of the cost in comparison to their quality. i remember reading a thread on a honda forum a couple years ago with everyone freaking out that walmart started selling nexan and at good fair prices.
nexan also has decent winter tires...but you obviously dont need them lol
they get good reviews on their all season tires under normal use, but if you start driving hard they will wear out faster than say a tire that is 3x the price(go figure)
i looked at them but it was hard to find them in the size i needed.

·
Registered
'03 CTS..white diamond
25 Posts
They ride hard...just got rid of mine. Currently on Conti DWS as someone stated above and really love them. Whatever, but match all four, for resale value if anything...if you dare..lol.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
They ride hard...just got rid of mine. Currently on Conti DWS as someone stated above and really love them. Whatever, but match all four, for resale value if anything...if you dare..lol.
Twas I who said that my good man. DWS tires are great.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Resale? Ha! There will be no resale. My children are in heavy competition to see who will be the next owner. In 4 years Mama gets a newer model (for my 50th b'day).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts