478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Title: "Did I buy the wrong wheels?? :("

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I last posted.

As you may remember, I won those awesome wheels on ebay:

STS WHEELS POLISHED W/CTR CAPS 5X115 FIT +42 OFFSET
2 WHEELS ARE 17X7 ~ 2 WHEELS ARE 17X8

I LOVE the look of those wheels. Too bad I have to wait until Spring to use them! :(

Anyways, I'd like to slap on some tires now.

Do I need the same tire sizes for the front and the backs?

I'm not exactly sure how that works.

I think that this size is good: 225/50-17

Does anyone have any other recommendations for alternate sizes?

It's always nice to evaluate my options and to better understand what works and what doesn't...

Thanks for your help!

Mike

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Mike,

You say STS rims? Tomm found out they won't fit. I think the offset is wrong and results in rubbing.
STS 17's fit just fine since they come with smaller rims for the front. Only the STS 18's have a problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh-Oh... Might have to ebay these wheels! :(
Are you guys serious?

This is interesting:

There was another auction a few months ago for the same set with the following info:

"You will recieve 2 17x7.5 wheels for the front and 2 17 x 8 wheels for the rear. "
"These are the Slightly Used for 2005 optional 17" rims for the all-new Cadillac STS. This same wheel has also been running for 2004 and 2005 on the Luxury Sport Package CTS."

I see the CTS brochure mentions 17x7.5 wheels.

In my other thread, when I asked about these wheels before I bidded on them, answers I received were:

Haute heir: "they will fit just fine. the cts bolt pattern is 5x115 and the width sizes also fit as far as i know"

and

Tomm: "At 42mm offset these rims were taken off of a CTS so they will be a perfect fit."

and

05CTS: "They'll work. Put the 17 x 7's up front."

So.... What's the scoop?

Hellllllp!

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
They will fit just fine.. The STS 17's are on many forum members CTS's. The only issues are with the 18's that have a 51mm offset. If the 18's came with a 42mm offset like these 17's then they would also fit fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Tomm,

Thanks for writing back.

Are you sure that the wheels will be okay?
They are definitely the 17".
It's just those larger widths in the back that are now making me wonder...

If you are positive, please give me a sign! :)

Otherwise, I won't even take them out of the box..!

And for other members that use these STS 17"ers, please pipe in!

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Michael 514 said:
Hey Tomm,

Thanks for writing back.

Are you sure that the wheels will be okay?
They are definitely the 17".
It's just those larger widths in the back that are now making me wonder...

If you are positive, please give me a sign! :)

Otherwise, I won't even take them out of the box..!

And for other members that use these STS 17"ers, please pipe in!

Thanks!

Mike
They will work. I purchased an exact set of the 17's and I was going to put them on my car but then I went with a different style. I sold them to MoonstoneMike on this board and he installed them with no problems.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46096

·
Registered
448 Posts
I bought a set also ( Detroit tire & Wheel) They were for the STS 17" with 8" for the rear. They fit right on. I just had to get a standard set of nuts. I had the 16" stock wheels with the covered flange nuts these would not let the rear trim cover fit. No problems with any rubbing and they really look good.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i don't mean to hijack this thread at all but something occurred to me yesterday while wheel shopping...

is it advisable for us (cts owners) to use a larger wheel in back and smaller in front? for instance, what would be the pros/cons of using an 18x8.5 or so in the rear and an 18x8 in the front? or like an 18x9 in the rear and 18x8 or 8.5 in the front.

please help me out here...i love cars with larger lips so i was thinking about getting the max width in back...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: New Title: "Did I buy the wrong wheels?? :("

Michael 514 said:
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I last posted.

As you may remember, I won those awesome wheels on ebay:

STS WHEELS POLISHED W/CTR CAPS 5X115 FIT +42 OFFSET
2 WHEELS ARE 17X7 ~ 2 WHEELS ARE 17X8

I LOVE the look of those wheels. Too bad I have to wait until Spring to use them! :(

Anyways, I'd like to slap on some tires now.

Do I need the same tire sizes for the front and the backs?

I'm not exactly sure how that works.

I think that this size is good: 225/50-17

Does anyone have any other recommendations for alternate sizes?

It's always nice to evaluate my options and to better understand what works and what doesn't...

Thanks for your help!

Mike
I thought they were 17x7.5 up front and 17x8 in the rear? I have the same wheels, and I opted for the new Kumho Ecsta SPTs. I put 235/45/17 front, and 245/45/17 in the back. let me just say, the car corners much better now, and the tires are Excellent and sticky :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phew! Thanks for the reassurance, guys.

I'm glad these puppies will work.

What a relief!

Now, back to my original question, is everyone in agreement with:

Front: 235/45/17
Rear: 245/45/17

Any alternative ideas?

Thanks!

MG

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
TripleOught said:
i don't mean to hijack this thread at all but something occurred to me yesterday while wheel shopping...

is it advisable for us (cts owners) to use a larger wheel in back and smaller in front? for instance, what would be the pros/cons of using an 18x8.5 or so in the rear and an 18x8 in the front? or like an 18x9 in the rear and 18x8 or 8.5 in the front.

please help me out here...i love cars with larger lips so i was thinking about getting the max width in back...
Only two reasons to have two sizes..Looks and Traction. Traction is not a problem with the 3.6auto as the tire hardly spin. A little spin is desireable. So I guess that leaves for "Looks". Like the CTS is not like a Corvette.:D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Darn, did my thread get hijacked! LOL...

So, before I start pricing on Tirerack.com, are these the ones everyone recommends?

Front: 235/45/17
Rear: 245/45/17

Any other ideas or options?

Thanks!!

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
Michael 514