Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1994 fleetwood, 1979 deville, 1992 eldorado
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm a little up in the air on which tire size would work best on my 94 FWB. I can get the 235/75/15 or the 225/75/15. My concern is appearance and if the larger tire could scrub anything in the wheel well. I'd appreciate any impute. Thanks

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
237 Posts
I have the exact same tire size on my car and the tires fit perfectly on the OEM rims and actually looks better, Haven't had any issues with them rubbing on anything :)
I always thought the 225's were too small for the vehicle

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd go 225. 235 may be a bit big looking.

Well, Tyler likes his. I don't have that year so his input may be more personal.

Yep its kinda more of a personal opinion I never really liked the other tires especially on the front of the car, because it had a big gap between the tire and wheel well. The 235's have enough clearance and look like they were meant for the car, that's just my personal opinion lol :D

·
Registered
1994 fleetwood, 1979 deville, 1992 eldorado
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the original tires were 235/70/15 so I wouldn't think there's much size difference than the 235/75/15 These fleetwoods are one big car and I'm thinking the bigger tire would look better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think the bigger tire looks better too, I would never go back to the original size because of the big gap between the wheel well. The picture below shows the slight difference between the two, Obviously the 235/75/15 is bigger, which is the exact size that's on my car

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
632 Posts
I have a 96 Fleetwood and two wagons, the 94 Buick Roadmaster and the 94 Caprice. The Fleetwood has the correct size 235 70 R!5...looks good. Both wagons should have 225 75 R15's. The Caprice has 225 70 R15, that size and looks good. The Roadmaster has 235 75 R15's. I always thought the RMW looked good, that is until someone, probably over on the wagon forum, who had the same setup, said they look like truck tires. Now everytime I look at them, that's what I see, truck tires. Soon I have to replace those tires and I'm not sure what size I will be getting.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
I had 75s on my 96, they were on the edge of being too large. I put 70s on it, I think they look better. JMHO

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
75s are designed for SUVs like Grand Cherokee back in mid 90's .So, they are 4x4 tires in a sense and it is perfectly normal they might look a tad bigger than OEM tires .

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts

75s

70s

Difference is subtle, but I prefer the factory sized tires.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood & 1993 Chevy C-1500
18 Posts
I think the bigger tire looks better too, I would never go back to the original size because of the big gap between the wheel well. The picture below shows the slight difference between the two, Obviously the 235/75/15 is bigger, which is the exact size that's on my car

The ride is a bit smoother as well. Ever ride in a little car with big wheels? My niece bought a used Toyota Corolla some years back and it had 20s and little rubber bands for tires. She took me for a ride and it was not comfortable. If you were to take it on a good romp on some twisty roads it might handle but it isn't a smooth ride in the least bit.
The sidewall is a lot of your suspension and a 15X8 inch rim has a good sized sidewall. It's part of the classic Cadillac floating ride.
I have 235/70/15 on my 93 FWB but want to go 235/75/15.

----------

75s

70s

Dude,
Except for the wheels, that is my 93. :) I don't keep it showroom shiny at all times but she shines up easily and looks great.

----------

75s

70s

Dude,
With the OEM wheels, that is my 93. :) I don't keep it showroom shiny at all times but she shines up easily and looks great.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
The differences are pretty subtle. I always ran 235/75's on my big cars in the 70's and 80's and thought they looked normal. When I got my Seville, 235/75's wouldn't fit. I tried 225's and they looked too skinny to me. I ended up in 235/70 land. I have 225's on my 77 Fleetwood at the moment and they are hidden in the wheelwells more than the Seville so I don't notice how skinny they look. 235/70r15 whitewalls are the hardest tire to find but I prefer that size over the others now. Keep buying 235/70's so the tire companies will keep making them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The ride is a bit smoother as well. Ever ride in a little car with big wheels? My niece bought a used Toyota Corolla some years back and it had 20s and little rubber bands for tires. She took me for a ride and it was not comfortable. If you were to take it on a good romp on some twisty roads it might handle but it isn't a smooth ride in the least bit.
The sidewall is a lot of your suspension and a 15X8 inch rim has a good sized sidewall. It's part of the classic Cadillac floating ride.
I have 235/70/15 on my 93 FWB but want to go 235/75/15
I find the original size tires were a little rough when driving on bumpy roads... with the new 235/75/15's I feel a difference in the ride more smooth and of course floaty, They are not white walls unfortunately but I prefer the regular tires because white walls are such a pain in the ass to keep clean lol!

----------

Compare for yourself. If you compare factory size 235 70 R15 with 225 75 R15, although they're not identical, they are awful close. There is very little difference in the speedometer also.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-70r15-225-75r15

Tom

When I first had these tires put on the caddy I was a little concerned about the speedometer thing, I would be doing the speed limit and have had so many people drive past me, but after looking at that website with the speedometer difference I realized that those people are just in a hurry and are asking for a ticket,

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,622 Posts
75s are designed for SUVs like Grand Cherokee back in mid 90's .So, they are 4x4 tires in a sense and it is perfectly normal they might look a tad bigger than OEM tires .
Wrong answer.

235-75R-15 is the metric equivalent of the old L or LR78-15, which was the size that the 1976 and earlier Fleetwoods and DeVilles took. Since 1973 they were the OEM size on the full size RWD Fleetwoods & DeVilles. The problem is that no modern car takes this size. The 225-75R-15 was the tire size used by the 1977 and later RWDs up through 1992 Broughams. In 1993 the size was changed to 235-70-R15, which was almost identical to the overall diameter on the 225-75-15, but was 10mm wider and the 70 series profile gave it a wider tread width than both the 225-75R-15, And the 235-75R-15.

Hankook still makes 235-75R-15 in Whitewall, called Optimo and I think there is a Cooper model in WSW too. These are NOT truck / Suv tires. I have the Hankooks on my 1968. Hankook USED to make a 235-70R-15 for the 1993-96 Fleetwoods and Roadies in WSW, but it's no longer made in whitewall. I have those on my 1994 Fleetwod. Bots sets are nice.

When the Fleetwood's tires eventually wear out, I'll probably have to switch to 235-75-15. They are the SAME width as the 235-70-15 (the 235 is the cross section width of the tire) and should not rub against anything.

There is supposed to be a brand called GT radial that still makes a whitewall in 235-70-15, but i can't verify this.

SUV:
Suburban

Uhttack

Vehicle :stirpot:

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I bought some GT Radials but haven't mounted them yet. I googled them a couple weeks ago and saw a few places selling them. I hope they keep making them.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,622 Posts
I bought some GT Radials but haven't mounted them yet. I googled them a couple weeks ago and saw a few places selling them. I hope they keep making them.
How do they look?, smooth sides? whitewall width? What is the speed rating? Do you remember the site you ordered them from??

If we keep buying them, they'll keep making them.

I find the original size tires were a little rough when driving on bumpy roads... with the new 235/75/15's I feel a difference in the ride more smooth and of course floaty, They are not white walls unfortunately but I prefer the regular tires because white walls are such a pain in the ass to keep clean lol!
Blasphemy! Sacre Bleu!!

The whitewhalls are no harder to clean than those Fleetwood or Brougham wheels. Actually they are easier to clean being one smooth stripe instead of 50 or so small criscrossed little cutouts on the wheels.

Get some whitewalls ont that car!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Well, since white walls are so hard to come by, I am happy to find any white wall but I would prefer the wider white. The GT is just the narrow white wall. They are not a smooth sidewall either. They have some funky texture on the sidewalls. I haven't seen it before and I don't know if I will like it. I assume they are S speed rated but I can't find it on the tire. The plan was to mount my new tires on the Seville and start driving it in August. Maybe I'll find a place to host pics for free by then.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts