Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XTS, 2003 Escalade
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my wife's car from a Cadillac dealership this morning (was in for another water leak...), anyway I inquired about service for my 2005 STS (1sf) and noticed that the service included a tire rotation. I questioned this and they told me they do a side to side rotation...I've always heard you can't change the rotational direction of tires once they are mounted.

Any thoughts/comments on this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see no one responded to your tire rotation question - so here goes. I have a 2006 STS. As you probably know the front and back tires are a different size, thus they cannot be rotated the old way. I have been corresponding with a cadillac salesman via e-mail and he seems to be real knowledgeable about almost everything about the STS. He says the new tires don't need rotating - even side to side. Just keep the proper pressure and don't rotate at all. His recommendation is to run these tires about 2-3 lbs. above the stated pressure (30 PSI cold). These low profile tires can vary as much as 5 lbs. from cold to hot. So at 32 psi cold you could be running as much as 37 hot. He says there is no potential problems unless these tires are at 40 psi or above hot. In addition, running a couple lbs more is better for the mileage. Of course, if you are getting patterned tire ware, there could be an alignment issue.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Luxury
163 Posts
Yeah, my salesman told me about the different tire sizes as he was delivering my new 2006 STS AWD. When I got home, I checked and discovered that all 4 of my tire sizes are identical. They must have changed their minds from 05 to 06 on the AWD models.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG
411 Posts
I just bought a used 2005 AWD. Oblivious to the tire sizes, the previous owner rotated them front to back. I now have 255's on front and 235's on rear! How's that for odd?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If the tires have been rotated, I would obviously recommend to rotate them back (meaning front to back)
Rotating the tires from side to side is an excuse for the tech to get paid on something he shouldn't have done. The service manual recommends that the tires not be rotated. While it's not harmful to rotate the tires from side to side as long as they are NOT directional tires, it's still a waste of energy and money.

Tire Rotation
Important: Tire rotation is not recommended if your vehicle is equipped with different size tires front to rear. Refer to the tire placard on the vehicle to determine OE tire sizes.

If the vehicle is equipped with the same size tire front to rear, rotate the tires and wheels at frequent intervals to equalize wear. Refer to tire rotation in Maintenance and Lubrication. In addition to scheduled rotation, rotate the tire and wheel whenever uneven tire wear is noticed.

Due to dissimilar front and rear tire sizes, the tire and wheel assemblies cannot be rotated.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,104 Posts
I read in the manual that if the tires are different sizes, tire rotation is not needed. I have the upgraded 18" wheel package and the ones on my car are different sizes so I guess no rotation. It also says that I cannot use chains but some other traction device if that manufacturer recommends it. I live in California so I opted for no AWD but I occasionally do go to the snow. Should I then use cables?

Max

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
538 Posts
Blake said:
I picked up my wife's car from a Cadillac dealership this morning (was in for another water leak...), anyway I inquired about service for my 2005 STS (1sf) and noticed that the service included a tire rotation. I questioned this and they told me they do a side to side rotation...I've always heard you can't change the rotational direction of tires once they are mounted.

It was true many, many years ago that you should not do a cross rotation with radials. However, for at least the past 30 years cross rotating has ben good.

George

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
538 Posts
I was shopping yesterday and noticed that an 05 V-8 that came with 235's on all corners.

I wonder why it is that some come with different size tires and some come with all the same. All being the same seems to be in the minority.

G

·
Registered
2008 STS 1-SG, traded in 2005 STS4 1-SG
85 Posts
I have an 05 V8 1-SG with all wheel drive. It came with P235/50R18 front and P255/45R18 rear Michelin HX MXM4 W rated. These are non-directional M&S (all weather). The fronts are just about done at 27k miles. Does any one know of a problem fitting the 255/45s to the front as replacements? With the same sized tires I'll be able to rotate, which I can't do now. The two sizes must have the same rolling circumference since I have 4WD. My concern is the 4WD. Is there a ratio in the transfer case or front differential that mandates different sizes F&R? The performance tire option is 255/45R18s all around and the STS-v has 255/45R18s on the front so they must fit, unless the wider tire is a clearance problem with the tight turning radius of 4WD. I've never driven a RWD STS so I don't know if it turns in such a tight radius. Any answers?
Also, is anyone else finding the brakes have a short life? I just had to change front pads AND rotors at 26,000 miles and now the rears just hit the wear indicator at 27,000 miles. My '97 STS NEVER needed brakes in 107,000 miles and my '02 STS was traded with original brakes at 50,000 miles.

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
Should all 2005 STS have larger rear tires? The tires on my 05 STS are all the same. Do I have the correct tires on the car? I am going in for my first service Thursday and if it's wrong I want to know and will ask that they put the correct tires on the car.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
The only STSs that came from the factory with staggered tire sizes are the 1SC, 1SF and 1SG packages.

All others will have 235s all the way around.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I worked in a tire and rim shop for 4 years. From my expeirence there, rotating side to side does nothing to improve the life of the tire. If you have different size tires on the front and rear you cannot rotate. Without being able to rotate the tires will become choppy orfeathered on the edges causing a vibration and then you may want to replace the tires. This is a problem many C5 corvette owners had.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Luxury
163 Posts
malcolm said:
Should all 2005 STS have larger rear tires? The tires on my 05 STS are all the same. Do I have the correct tires on the car? I am going in for my first service Thursday and if it's wrong I want to know and will ask that they put the correct tires on the car.
Malcolm, if you want to know if you have the correct tires mounted on your car, look at the placard pasted in the driver's side door frame. It will tell you which tire sizes are required and installed plus what the cold inflation pressure should be. Mine are 235's all the way around.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
05STSWOW, if you go to the Michelen web site, they will list the wheel sizes that the tires can accomodate. While I have 17s and not 18s, my wheels are different widths. My guess is you will end up going to the smaller size. However, can you put the wider wheels on the front of the car? I think that Ewill is suggesting you should not.

And back to Ewills comment that the tires do not need to be rotated. In the 2006 manual page 5-70 contains a diagram and states that tire rotation is recommended unless you have mismatched tires. I am intrigued that the differential in size of tires eliminates the uneven wear patterns that occur from not rotating?

While this mismatch may be an advantage to more aggressive drivers, I fail to see the advantage. I bought this car to commute to work and take the occassional customer to lunch. This tire thing is a great dissappointment which I think will result in a high level of customer dissatisfaction.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If the placard indicates the tire sizes are the same and they actually are, then I would recommend rotation. If they are directional, be sure to keep them on the correct side.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts

Blake, I have had exactly the same question. Following is a response I recieved from Michelin about the the tires on my car.

"Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

The Pilot MXM4 tires can be rotated side to side. Changing the direction of rotation will not hurt the tire.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call me at 1-800-847-3435 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday."

The part of the question Michelin did not answer was the impact on expected tread life from not being able to rotate in the recommended pattern.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V
270 Posts
I have the 1SF option so my tires are different size front to rear. If the vehicle is aligned correctly, the rear tires should last a long time without ever being rotated. Most of the wear will be on the front so I figure I will replace the front tires more often, but not replace the rear tires until they reach the end of their normal life. Part of the reason for rotation is to spread the wear out evenly over all four tires and correct for uneven wear patterns. Since I will not have to replace the rear tires as often as the front I will not be spending that much more than if I had to buy a complete set of tires every time with normal rotation. I only have 7,000 miles on my original tires so far and everything looks fine. Of course driving habits will greatly affect the wear on the front tires. Time will tell if this is a correct assumption however.

·
Registered
2008 STS AWD
8 Posts
I just had all 4 brakes replaced at 19,900 miles on my 06 STS4 roters only needed to be machined. The dealer also noticed that my tires were previously rotated and were on my car incorrectly 255 on front 235 on rear.

Since the correction my gas mileage has improved from 16 mpg to 19mpg.

The dealer also warned me about short tire life and estiamed no more than 30,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts