Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8000 miles, my rear tires were corded. :histeric: And thats with me rotating them twice within that time...So, new tires were in order. I did a search here and on tirerack.com and some other websites and started reading about the new Falkens. I called up my buddy who owns a tire shop and I picked them up for $180 a piece installed and balanced. They are a little bigger size too...255/40's.

I've put some miles on them and I usually run high pressures in my tires. 40psi up front and 38psi in the rear. So far I'm VERY pleased with these tires. They are quieter than my worn F1's were, provide more grip it feels, and with the pressures I run, the turn in is almost as sharp. These are non-runflats remember. Straight line grip is fantastic too once warm...which means there is still wheel hop on launches, but the tires don't break away in first as they did with the F1's when you step on it from a roll. As for wet traction...its Southern Cali...who cares??? :cool2:

Either way, for the money, these tires are definitely worth it. They look great on the car too with big, chunky tread blocks and are about 6-7 tenths of an inch wider when they were laying on the ground next to the stock F1's. No rubbing issues with this size at all. I actually liked the F1's...I just didn't like their price. :) I'm glad I gave these a shot. For the money they can't be beat, and I'd be hard pressed to spend another $100-$150 a tire to provide an additional .01-.02g's of grip with, say, a Pilot Sport, if they even give more grip. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with these.

Ladis

·
Registered
490 Posts
Excellent review! I've had the same experience with my 615's. From what I can tell, the dry grip is unmatched on these tires. The only thing I'm concerned about it treadwear. So far I have 800 miles on them and I can still see the "Azenis" letters stamped in the middle of the tread, so I take that as a good sign.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Please keep in mind, fellas, that the tire you are running is "THE TIRE" for street class SCCA SoloII competition. I don't believe that even ONE person ran the Pilots at Nationals....that's saying quite a bit, as all competitors are extremely serious and will run ANYTHING that is PROVEN to be faster...regardless of cost.
So there you have it, or I should say "them"...the stickiest legal street-class tire in the USA. I'm glad you enjoy them, I plan on running them this summer at the SoloII autox.
-ace

·
Registered
523 Posts
does anybody have any input between these and the gsd3
i'm ordering tires next week and would like a combination of best wear traction and price.
DOESN"T EVERY one want this.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V | 2012 CTS-V
970 Posts
Better grip means they don't last as long. These are better dry grip, but the GSD3's will last longer and are probably the best all around tire.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also, a good autox tire isnt necessarily a good daily driver tire. From my experience, in general, Falkens tend to wear un-evenly and develop high roadforce #'s and vibrate after time.

I've had good luck running Toyo T1R's on daily drivers I've put on here @ the dealership who prefer a sportier stickier tire.

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
So Toyo T1R's are sportier and stickier over the Falken RT-615? Isn't the Falken tire a better suited, sportier, stickier tire than the T1R's? Specs on the Falken make it seem stickier than the T1R's.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
The Falkens are the STICKIEST street tire you can use, and they're more compliant than the stock F1s. You'll no doubt get better mileage than the F1s, and they're cheaper. Not every product is for everyone, but if you're looking for a better wearing, stickier, more complieant, cheaper alternative to the F1s then this is a great choice. I don't sell Falkens, I'm a banker, I just have been very impressed with previous experience...and SCCA SoloII National Championship results don't lie.
-ace

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
206 Posts
Could you please post a pic of the tires on your car. I want to get these tires as well but I am concerned about the 40s instead of 45s. I wanted to see how much more wheel gap there is.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
With the wider tread of 255, they'll probably look better than the 45's. Plus, these tires are beefier automatically over any regular performance tires. The reason for that is because they are designed for track and have thick sidewalls.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I really doubt if they are stickier you will get better mileage. I further doubt that they are of the same quality construction. I just can't remember any serious high performance vehicle ever coming out of the factory with Falkens. I have seen many high performance cars with Goodyears.

And definitely no to Toyos

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Big business is sometimes about who is blowing who...GM & Goodyear is a great example.

Thank Heavens Falkens don't come factory, or every other dumbass who didn't know better would be buying my Spring autox supply.
-ace

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like all serious performance tires, under normal driving conditions, they really aren't *that* much stickier going down the higher. But, once you start beating on them (say, autox) and they start to get warm, gummy, sticky, lovely...sorry...I got carried away in the emotion. :yup: Anyway, thats when they start to really shine. And if you can make repeated laps without them turning to mush, you've got a great tire. I would not say your gas mileage is going to be worse or better than an F1.

In terms of wear, well, the way I look at it is even if these tires wear twice as quick as the f1's (which they won't) but cost nearly half as much for a wider tire, I'm ok with that...especially if they perform better!

The 255/40's are the same hieght. So the wheel gap is the same. I went to Falkens website and to tirerack.com to compare the hieght of the stock 245/45 F1's to the 255/40 Falkens. Like I said, the Falkens are just about 6-7 tenths wider and LOOK much beefier though...those tread blocks!! I'll see what I can do about a pic.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was just talking to a guy the other day that autocrosses and I asked him what kind of tires people use. He said that a lot of people run Hoosiers or other slicks. I then asked him what the most popular street tire that the autocrossers run and he confirmed exactly what Ace has been saying for months. The RT-615s are the street tire of choice and it is easy to see why.

Besides, can anyone name one other tire that is stickier than the stock F1?

·
Registered
330 Posts
How do you know it is stickier than F1s?

I have not seen the F1 beat in any comparison test. The Falkens have rather low ratings on 1010Tires and they are not even sold on Tire Rack.

High performance manufacturers use F1s - do you see any using Falkens?

·
Registered
490 Posts
How do you know it is stickier than F1s?
Because I owned the F1's and currently own the 615's. Our g-meter also allows us to make somewhat objective conclusions when it comes to handling.

I have not seen the F1 beat in any comparison test.
Autocrossing sounds like a good comparison test to me. The results appear to be unanimous.

High performance manufacturers use F1s - do you see any using Falkens?
I don't see how this argument is valid. Manufacturers last concern is usually with dry grip. Manufacturers are much more concerned with noise, harshness, treadwear, wet traction, etc.

If it makes you happy, continue spending $350 for an inferior tire that lasts about as long at it took me to write this reply.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
MC,
I really do like the F1 as a stock tire, it truly is the best stock-mounted tire I've ever run..very sticky, good turn-in, and can take a beating on the autox course. But for the money, or even on a same-dollar comparison, the only thing the F1 has is EMT ability. Nobody is saying cut the F1s off the rims and throw them out, they are good...but when a replacement tire is needed, and if pure-grip and competition-proven performance is at the top of the list, the 615 fit the bill. The smoother ride and cheaper cost are just added benefits.
Be good,
ace

1 - 20 of 39 Posts