Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a 2017 V Sport premium luxury with 39k miles. The tires don’t have much life left. Looking for your recommendations for replacements. I’m not a big fan of the run flats and I don’t run the car down the track. It gets driven only once or twice a week. Your thoughts/input?
Thank you in advance. P.S. Absolutely love this vehicle!!!

·
Registered
2003 CTS Base and 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport Premium
572 Posts
Welcome to the gang! I’d recommend Michelin Pilot Sport4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
217 Posts
I've become a big fan of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. They are all season which might suit you better depending upon where you live.

·
Registered
Magoo—2012 Cadillac CTS Luxury, Opulent Blue, plus many more, see signature.
400 Posts
You don't really say what you're expecting from your tires, and that matters a whole lot in making a recommendation.

The run flat tires (about all of them) tend to be somewhat harsh riding, and although they should be "crisp" and precise in the handling part of the equation, they aren't always what you would expect. IMO, there are too many compromises to construct something that might work (for a short distance, at reduced performance) with no air pressure in it.

Different tires have different strengths and weaknesses. Although for your car, in the stock sizes, there aren't many choices, and most of the tires available be focused on performance and handling.

If you're looking for precise handling, with decent treadwear, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S may be a good choice.

The Continental DWS would be a good choice, but it's not available in both stock sizes. I'm not sure what alternatives are available for your car. The Continental ExtremeContactForce is a 200 treadwear rating, with a very aggressive dry tread pattern, which usually indicates it's more of a "race/autocross" focused tire. Some categories of racing and autocross require a 200 treadwear rating, and that number often signals a tire that's designed more for extreme driving, with compromises in ride quality and especially road noise.

The General GMAX RS may be an better choice if you're looking for a smoother ride, but still with good grip. General is owned by Continental, and any Continental tire labeled "Made In USA" is made in the General Tire plant in Indiana. My recent experience with the General G-MAX AS-05 on our 2013 CTS Luxury is that they have a very "Continental like" feel to them. Grip is excellent, both wet and dry. The place where they aren't quite up to the same level as Continental is in the road noise area. My past experience with Continentals is they are quiet. Like so quiet you're not aware of them at all quiet. The Generals we have aren't obnoxiously loud by any measure, but you definitely can hear them. Generals are also very competitively priced. Don't let that scare you. In my experience, you can pay a lot more and get worse tires (cough, some of the Pirellis, cough).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't really say what you're expecting from your tires, and that matters a whole lot in making a recommendation.

The run flat tires (about all of them) tend to be somewhat harsh riding, and although they should be "crisp" and precise in the handling part of the equation, they aren't always what you would expect. IMO, there are too many compromises to construct something that might work (for a short distance, at reduced performance) with no air pressure in it.

Different tires have different strengths and weaknesses. Although for your car, in the stock sizes, there aren't many choices, and most of the tires available be focused on performance and handling.

If you're looking for precise handling, with decent treadwear, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S may be a good choice.

The Continental DWS would be a good choice, but it's not available in both stock sizes. I'm not sure what alternatives are available for your car. The Continental ExtremeContactForce is a 200 treadwear rating, with a very aggressive dry tread pattern, which usually indicates it's more of a "race/autocross" focused tire. Some categories of racing and autocross require a 200 treadwear rating, and that number often signals a tire that's designed more for extreme driving, with compromises in ride quality and especially road noise.

The General GMAX RS may be an better choice if you're looking for a smoother ride, but still with good grip. General is owned by Continental, and any Continental tire labeled "Made In USA" is made in the General Tire plant in Indiana. My recent experience with the General G-MAX AS-05 on our 2013 CTS Luxury is that they have a very "Continental like" feel to them. Grip is excellent, both wet and dry. The place where they aren't quite up to the same level as Continental is in the road noise area. My past experience with Continentals is they are quiet. Like so quiet you're not aware of them at all quiet. The Generals we have aren't obnoxiously loud by any measure, but you definitely can hear them. Generals are also very competitively priced. Don't let that scare you. In my experience, you can pay a lot more and get worse tires (cough, some of the Pirellis, cough).
Appreciate the input. I had General’s on my Suburban and was pleasantly surprised by them.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury 2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
2,873 Posts
I found the Continental DWS-06s on my SS sedan a touch soft handling wise but are a very much loved tire for All Seasons and have a nice ride...I like most everything about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ on my 2014 CTS sport Wagon...both of those tires have been improved by their manufacturers...(DWS-06 plus and Pilot Sport All Season 4)

these OEM run flat Pirelli's not so much for me...harder ride and noisy...I also don't have much seat time on them but they seem to follow road imperfections too.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts