Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XT4
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18,000 miles and 18 months into my 2013 2.0T RWD 36 month lease and it's already time to replace my rear tires.
I have the staggered size front and rear tires, so it's not shocking that the rears wore faster than the fronts.

I've seen a lot of discussion about replacing the run flats with non-run flat tires. If I decide to go that route, I'll get a set of Michelin PSS.

I just started shopping locally to get prices and 2 places suggested replacing the OE Bridgestone Potenza run flats with a newer Bridgestone run flat tire, the DriveGuard. Per tire price difference is over $100. The DriveGuard is not a performance tire though, which concerns me. Has anyone had any experience with these tires? I'm wondering if I should consider them or cross them off my list.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,047 Posts
Re: Bridgestone DriveGuard as replacement for OE Potenza runflats

If the other tire you'd be considering is the PSS then I'm guessing you'll find the Driveguards to be rather uninspiring.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Performance
18 Posts

I work for Bridgestone. The DriveGuard is a fantastic tire for some. It is a touring tire meaning, smooth ride, longer life but will sacrifice wet and dry grip when compared to a Potenza which is a performance tire. If you are to replace only the rears PLEASE only use POTENZA. If you bought your ATS luxury transportation and prefer a smooth quiet ride to canyon carving DriveGuard is the best choice in the industry.

As for removing Runflat tires I highly recommend against. You do not have a spare. You will be stuck at the side of the road waiting.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,405 Posts

As for removing Runflat tires I highly recommend against. You do not have a spare. You MAY be stuck at the side of the road waiting.
Everything in life is a trade off, deal with the irritation of the runflats daily or deal with the possible irritation of a flat somewhere down the road. If the RFT performance was equal and a similar price the choice wouldn't be as difficult.

Also changed your quote above to make it more realistic.:)

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
383 Posts

Another issue is; are the RFs more likely to blow out the sidewall and be unrepairable as opposed to a standard tire not flatting, or flatting but being repairable? I hit debris with less than 30,000 km on my car/tires, instant failure. The RF was toast, sidewall split. Bought 4 new performance tires, non RF. I have a lot of access along my normal routes to CAA towing (up to 320 km per) let alone other roadside assistance plans including Cadillac's. I also do not travel with a large family, car seats, etc., so fitting into a tow truck cab is not an issue for me. I figured I might as well get the tires I want to drive rather than worry about the unlikely, but possible, event of hassle on the roadside. In more than 4 decades of driving, I have had 2 roadside flats (1 re above, and 1re a wheel that flew off a pickup truck in front of me and I ran over it and needed several thousand in repairs anyway), 2 parking lot flats.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts

I have AWD so it's all or nothing. Only dislike with my ATS is the harsh ride.....definitely want tires that are smoother yet safe in rain and snow. Any other opnions out there what my next set of tires should be.....rf or non rf not a concern with me....

·
Registered
16 ATS-V Sedan 15 535 10 Forester
330 Posts

At lease turn in does it have to have run flats?

C

·
0 Posts

I switched out my run flats for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's last October, I like them a lot.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts

Rusty same here. I'm leaning toward going the same route as CTSCHICK with the Michelins she went to. I also want to look into the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS more. In the mean time I deflated my RFT from cold front 35 to 32 and my rear from 40 to 37. Made a noticeable difference in ride but MPG drops, at hwy speeds they warm up to 35/40 respectively so you do suffer too much.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts

I switched out my run flats for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's last October, I like them a lot.
Rusty same here. I'm leaning toward going the same route as CTSCHICK with the Michelins she went to. I also want to look into the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS more. In the mean time I deflated my RFT from cold front 35 to 32 and my rear from 40 to 37. Made a noticeable difference in ride but MPG drops, at hwy speeds they warm up to 35/40 respectively so you do suffer too much.
Great advice! I really miss the comfort (tire wise) of my old STS. Will definitely check out the Michelin Pilot SportA/S 3's. Seems to have great reviews.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replacing Run Flats On '14 ATS

Hello, I have 225x40ZR18 run flat tires on my wife's '14 ATS. She hates them with a vocal passion. Since 2 of them have bubbles and need to be replace, what can they be replaced with that will improve the ride in Michigan roads? Any thoughts of what to do with about spare issue if i go non RF?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Re: Replacing Run Flats On '14 ATS

Hello, I have 225x40ZR18 run flat tires on my wife's '14 ATS. She hates them with a vocal passion. Since 2 of them have bubbles and need to be replace, what can they be replaced with that will improve the ride in Michigan roads? Any thoughts of what to do with about spare issue if i go non RF?
Thanks
Any non runflat the same size can be used and will have a better ride, almost all are significantly cheaper also. If ride comfort is the main goal I would probably go lower than one of the top performance tires. Check Tirerack.com for choices available. You could also consider a 235/40/18 for a little more sidewall (.16") and width (.39"). Neither of these will be large enough to cause a problem but doing all four (if all four tires came the same size on your car) is probably recommended.

I just replaced mine with 225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DW but think they are higher performance, lower life than a lower performance tire would be. Just a choice I made, depends on what is most important to you.

I went with an inflation/slime kit, AAA, and no spare but this of course comes with risks as some failures will leave me stranded. I wasn't willing to travel all of the time with a spare tire/wheel, jack, wrench in the back.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts

Any non runflat the same size can be used and will have a better ride, almost all are significantly cheaper also. If ride comfort is the main goal I would probably go lower than one of the top performance tires. Check Tirerack.com for choices available. You could also consider a 235/40/18 for a little more sidewall (.16") and width (.39"). Neither of these will be large enough to cause a problem but doing all four (if all four tires came the same size on your car) is probably recommended.

I just replaced mine with 225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DW but think they are higher performance, lower life than a lower performance tire would be. Just a choice I made, depends on what is most important to you.

I went with an inflation/slime kit, AAA, and no spare but this of course comes with risks as some failures will leave me stranded. I wasn't willing to travel all of the time with a spare tire/wheel, jack, wrench in the back.
Wonder if its possible to create a spare tire kit mixing and matching a jack/spare tire/other parts from other GM vehicles?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
115 Posts

There's been a great deal of discussion on this topic. Interestingly, I don't think they're that bad. In fact for a sporty type vehicle, I think it rides pretty darn good. I don't really get all the hullabaloo about this.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,668 Posts

My 2014 3.6 RWD premium has stock 225/40R18 front with 255/35R18 summer performance run flat tires. For winter I picked up a set of base wheels/tires which are 225/45R17 non-run flat and they are a higher profile tire (more sidewall). I put the summer set back on last month and I notice very little ride difference between the two sets. Maybe it is more noticeable on cars without MRC (magnetic ride control). The ATS was designed to be a light car with good maneuverability and road defects are certainly more noticeable than they were in my previous 2008 CTS but I much prefer the handling of the ATS.

A 45 series or higher profile running the minimum air pressure necessary would be the best way to get a significant difference from changing tires. I originally planned to get a set of run flat all season tires for winter usage but I found this take off set of base wheels (dealer take-off from new car) with tires and TPMS for less than a set of cheap wheels from Tire Rack so it was an easy decision to make. I picked up an inflation/sealant/repair kit from Amazon for winter use.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Wonder if its possible to create a spare tire kit mixing and matching a jack/spare tire/other parts from other GM vehicles?
I am sure you could, some other Cadillacs have the same bolt hole pattern for the wheels. Probably buy a complete kit for one of these cars. For me the trunk is small enough and in my 30 years of driving I have had two flats that required replacing the tire (plenty with screws/nails that I drove to the tire dealer) and now I have TPMS to tell me it is going flat and the compressor/slime to possibly help get me going.

·
Registered
2011SRX,2015ATS RWD base 2.0
519 Posts

I see that the slime inflators are not recomended for the TMS yet Cadillac still provides an inflator kit for the Standard 2.5 sedan with stock 17" rims and standard tires[not runflats] this is the only model with this arrangement. What separates the CADILLAC inflator kit from the aftermarket inflator kits? Anyone know the price of these kits from Cadillac dealer?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,668 Posts

I see that the slime inflators are not recomended for the TMS yet Cadillac still provides an inflator kit for the Standard 2.5 sedan with stock 17" rims and standard tires[not runflats] this is the only model with this arrangement. What separates the CADILLAC inflator kit from the aftermarket inflator kits? Anyone know the price of these kits from Cadillac dealer?
I bought the 70004 kit from Amazon for my winter use tires and the Slime sealant included states it is "TPMS Friendly". My understanding is that in some cases the TPMS may become temporarily nonoperational after anything coats it which would prevent its normal function but the current formulations of Slime (and I expect similar products) won't damage it. If you do a temporary repair with Slime or similar the tire should be properly repaired later and at that point the TPMS can be wiped clean.

The kit I bought has plug seals also and if conditions permit I would use one of those rather than Slime. Of course the best case would be not needing either :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts