Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Discount Tire yesterday getting a tire replaced on our Mustang GT/CS convertible. It had a nail near the shoulder of the tire that I plugged, but it developed a slow leak and upon inspection they found there was a crack that developed near the hole. Since it was near the shoulder they wouldn't patch it and you can't (or shouldn't) put a plug next to another plug.

Anyway, since I was there I got a quote on replacements for my V-Coupe that has 19,500 on the stock PS2 set.

The price difference is significant between the two with the PS2s being more expensive, which I found interesting since most folks (especially on this forum) seem to feel that the PSS is a much better tire.

The guy at Discount Tire said that the PS2s are more expensive because they are a better "three season" tire (my words), especially in the rain, whereas the PSS is a better dry weather and track tire.

He mentioned the Continentals (can't remember the model) and said those were an excellent tire too, the difference being is that they don't have a mileage warranty like Michelin does.

I prefer to stay with Michelins since I've had them on many of my previous cars and I really like their tires.

For those that have the PSS, any issues with them in the rain?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Re: Tire Question: Stock Michelin PS2 vs Michelin PSS

Once my stock PS2 tires are done, I was planning on going to the Super Sports as I keep hearing how much better they are over the PS2s in terms of handling and a better tire to launch the V with. The fact that they are much cheaper makes it a no brainer. We don't get much rain here in L.A. and I am not worried about handling in wet conditions. I don't hit the track in the rain.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

They're fine in the rain. 7,000 miles on mine and still 70% tread left. Pretty darned good for a max performance tire.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009
55 Posts
According to Michelin they are better in rain and last a lot longer than ps2. The ps2 are probably more expensive because they are making less of them, or stopped making them all together.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

According to Michelin they are better in rain and last a lot longer than ps2. The ps2 are probably more expensive because they are making less of them, or stopped making them all together.
i also read on a GM site that the PS2 was specifically designed for the CTS-V. To your point, exclusivity probably has a lot to do with the pricing.

·
Registered
12 Wagon Hennessey 700, SB wheels, Corsa
160 Posts

Whoever gets 19,000 miles out of a set of PS rears is doing really good. I replaced my rears with PS A/S Plus which are run flats after taking a road hazard on the PS's. A nice feature if you have a flat that is beyond the gimpy fix-a-flat aerosol and 12v air pump hidden where a spare tire would be. Oh, they were less than the PS as well.

They seem to perform pretty well, but don't hook up quite as well under launch.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts

The PSS looks better -- more square-shouldered. I got a set put on a week before it started raining here in the Bay Area. Of course fresh tread is better than worn tread to fend off hydroplaning, and it wasn't that cold, and when it's wet I actually slow down and drive gently, so if the PS2 is better in the rain I would never know.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts

I was at Discount Tire yesterday getting a tire replaced on our Mustang GT/CS convertible. It had a nail near the shoulder of the tire that I plugged, but it developed a slow leak and upon inspection they found there was a crack that developed near the hole. Since it was near the shoulder they wouldn't patch it and you can't (or shouldn't) put a plug next to another plug.

Anyway, since I was there I got a quote on replacements for my V-Coupe that has 19,500 on the stock PS2 set.

The price difference is significant between the two with the PS2s being more expensive, which I found interesting since most folks (especially on this forum) seem to feel that the PSS is a much better tire.

The guy at Discount Tire said that the PS2s are more expensive because they are a better "three season" tire (my words), especially in the rain, whereas the PSS is a better dry weather and track tire.

He mentioned the Continentals (can't remember the model) and said those were an excellent tire too, the difference being is that they don't have a mileage warranty like Michelin does.

I prefer to stay with Michelins since I've had them on many of my previous cars and I really like their tires.

For those that have the PSS, any issues with them in the rain?
Here is my experience with them in the rain...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2014-cadillac-cts-v-general/477497-continental-bridgestone-2.html#post12136474

Other things than dry grip to consider:
- resistance to aquaplaning. The PSS tires saved my bacon driving home on the highway at 65 mph one night after a rainstorm when I hit a small lake on the highway that I didn't see coming. The car plowed through the water in a straight line, no fuss, no muss, but just sharp deceleration and a lot of noise.
- track performance. You can drive these things at high speeds on a track for 30 min. without them getting greasy (and losing grip) the way a lot of less capable tires do.
From what I can see, the tread will last longer than on the PS2s.

One area I'm hoping to see an improvement over the PS2 is the ability of the tire to maintain its grip on the road as the tread wears down. I could tell the original PS2s were losing their grip even with what looked to be a fair amount of tread left. FWIW, one tire in my experience that kept it's excellent grip almost right down to the end of its tread was the old Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP.

When I originally put the PSS tires on the V, they took about 1500 km. to "break-in". Right after hitting 1500 km. the grip increased noticeably - a lot! So be patient with them for a little while and you'll be amazed!
Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts

I can confirm that the PSS is pretty good in the rain. That they are cheaper makes them a "no brainer" replacement for the PS2s. Just do it. Do it today.

·
Registered
2012 CTSV coupe
1,585 Posts
I did have one problem with the PSS. My last set developed a high speed wobble once they were getting towrds the end of their life. Had to get rid of them early. About 3-5 tenths left

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V wagon 6MN
47 Posts

Another vote for the PSS. Although I slightly prefer the steering feel of the PS2s, the PSS are stickier overall, better in the rain, and amazingly MUCH better when it is cold. The PS2s are like rocks when below 45, forcing me to swap to winter tires from temperature alone. The PSS are totally drivable when it is in the 20s. Snow would be something else entirely, but the compound on the PSS is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts

^^^^
You mean we can't joke about how driving on PSS=death below 38 degrees like we could the PS2s? :)

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts

At well over 100 MPH at Road America in downpours, NO problems what so ever.

·
Registered
NONE
779 Posts

Kind of a side question. On AVG when should one switch out the tires. My 2012 Wagon only has 14k miles on it and i've never switched tires out. I haven't hit the wearbars on the center but the sides look pretty toasty.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts

Kind of a side question. On AVG when should one switch out the tires. My 2012 Wagon only has 14k miles on it and i've never switched tires out. I haven't hit the wearbars on the center but the sides look pretty toasty.
Usually, the first sign that tells me it's time for new tires is when I notice them starting to lose their grip in the wet. That's when it becomes much easier to spin the rears on takeoff and the fronts don't have that sharp, immediate turn-in response that is the usual norm, or they start to skid on harder braking where they previously didn't.
I try very hard not to compromise wet weather performance, as the V is my daily driver.

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts

yeah I swap tires when my current tires start getting greasy. So far I've always had plenty of tread left when they start to give up the ghost, and it's real easy to tell because one day you notice that when you leave from a stop you just spin up to the redline even at half throttle, and then spin to the redline in 2nd gear. So far this has only happened once my tires have gone well past the 15k mark, usually around 20k miles. It also affects braking, it just feels like you're driving around on butter all the time. When it gets like that, I swap 'em out.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V Stellar Black Sedan & 2016 ZO6 Corvette
119 Posts

I replaced the last set of Michelin PS2 with their PS3/All Weather tires. Much better ride....and wear. I don't track the car but it does get some spirited street driving on occasion. Wear so far on the PS3s has been quite good and the price is definitely better than the others.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts