Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question about the tire pressure monitors. I searched the archives and am still unclear. I took the car to the dealership to inquire about getting my money back for the sunroof drain hose issue. On my way there I had the usual intermittent RPM needle shake which caused the check engine light to flash about 3x, things normalized and I was on my way again until the next time the car decides to do a shake, rattle and roll. So, asked when I was there about this and they hooked it up to the machine, the code came back as some random fail, he said can be due to bad gas or whatever. There were other codes that covered the tire pressure sensors. I asked how much to replace those and he said $100 each normally. So…..that leads me to ask, where else can I have this done? I put new tires on 2 years ago – from what I was reading in the archives it sounded like these sensors are done when you do new tires – maybe I’m unclear so wanted to see what you have to suggest. Can a place like NTB do these? I doubt it’s something easy to do, I’m guessing tires have to be removed to access the sensors?

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
I have found that some tire store also sell sensors. Certainly the time to replace the sensors is when you replace the tires.

·
Registered
SRX
6 Posts
I was charged $10 each at America's Tire when I replaced the tires on my pickup truck. It shouldn't be any different for the SRX.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry dumb question but these are the sensors that also tell you when you toggle on the info center regarding tire pressure in each tire right? So next time I go to NTB for a tire rotation, they should hopefully have these sensors and swap them out for me? or should I buy them somewhere else at a better price and just pay for them to install them?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
SRX Big Al said:
I was charged $10 each at America's Tire when I replaced the tires on my pickup truck. It shouldn't be any different for the SRX.
TPMS sensors don't cost $10. $10/$12 each is the cost of a "rebuild kit". That replaces the calve core, sleeve (where applicable), nut, and O rings. Won't solve any issues with the sensor itself.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX, 2010 SRX 2.8T Premium AWD
26 Posts
It is not standard to replace the sensors when he tires are replaced.. old sensors can work with new tires.. it is a relearn thing.. Sensors are run off a battery so they have a lifespan of effectiveness.. I would check your tire receipt to see if they did replace them at that time. normally 5 years is the rule of the sensors to be effective before you should look at replacing them regardless of tire wear..
Depending on where you go most tire shops can get them and install ones that will work. you can find them online in sets and replacing them all at the same time makes the most sense.. did you get the error codes from the dealer that they were seeing it will help determine what the problem is and if getting new sensors are needed or if they are new what this means...? 100 a tire is kind of high.. but they have to take them off the car take off the tire replace it with the new one put tire back on.. and put tire back on truck.. then run it through the tire relearn. so they are counting in labour and time in the Price I am guessing. But I had my sensors done at a tire shop for cheaper on my old SRX so if you shop right you can probably get a better deal.. keep in mind OEM and after market will affect price.. but get the codes and lets ensure it is a minor fault and not something else bigger.. and check that tire receipt to see if you paid for sensors when you got them replaced.. Good luck

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
cadigirlchicago2 said:
Sorry dumb question but these are the sensors that also tell you when you toggle on the info center regarding tire pressure in each tire right? So next time I go to NTB for a tire rotation, they should hopefully have these sensors and swap them out for me? or should I buy them somewhere else at a better price and just pay for them to install them?
If they're using low end sensors, I'd suggest buying them yourself. You could probably save a little money buying them yourself, just make sure they won't have an issue with you doing that, and that it won't affect you're warranty.

·
Registered
SRX
6 Posts
TPMS sensors don't cost $10. $10/$12 each is the cost of a "rebuild kit". That replaces the calve core, sleeve (where applicable), nut, and O rings. Won't solve any issues with the sensor itself.
They cost me $10 each, which is indicated on the receipt. the receipt clearly states they are new TPMS, so not a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX, 2010 SRX 2.8T Premium AWD
26 Posts
They cost me $10 each, which is indicated on the receipt. the receipt clearly states they are new TPMS, so not a rebuild kit.
You got a deal :) probably due to the cost of the tire they gave you a pricecut on the sensor... after all labour is easy when they have the tire off anyways.. but I would love to pay only 10 for a new sensor..

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
264 Posts
I'm surprised that you have had a sensor fail on 2010. The sensors on my 2001 Vette never did fail. I replaced them in 2013 when I put new tires on as a precaution. In fact, I have never had a sensor fail on any car I have ever owned, so what you are experiencing is quite rare in my opinion.

Phil

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD
350 Posts
Not going to argue whether or not you got sensors installed for $10, just that I've never had any of four local tire shops or the dealer estimate less than $60 each installed and most will try to hit you at $100 each. In fact, I've never seen the sensors for sale on line for less than $30 each.

My local Tirerama wants $15 each just to reprogram the sensors when new tires are mounted. That's why I bought the Chicom whizbang programmer for $65.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! Apparently the battery goes low on these after awhile and they triggered the service stabilitrack system I guess. I will look into getting new sensors and see if NTB can install for me cheap next time I'm there for the tire rotation.

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD
350 Posts
Has anyone else had any interaction between the TPMS and a throttle body code?

FWIW, my wife's TPMS display is still behaving randomly. Most times it's fine. Sometimes, all four wheel positions go blank, sometimes only one, sometimes only two. That makes me think it's not the sensors or batteries. It behaves like something in the receiver.

jack vines

1 - 13 of 13 Posts