Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just discovered that the TPS on my '04 is reading the RF tire as the RR, and vice-versa. Is thts an easy fix done by changing a connection somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
Simultaneously press the lock and unlock buttons on your key fob. The horn will chirp. Now hold a strong magnet by the LF tire valve until you hear another chirp, then do the same at the RF, RR and final the LR. Once completed at the LR you will hear two chirps. They are now in synch. You must do this every time they are rotated.

·
Registered
Cadillac
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ranger! Amazing technology! Tell me, does this "reprogramming" also have to be done if the battery is changed?

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Geez-I can't believe I didn't know this had to be done after every rotation; I've had two rotations since I last reset the sensors.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
:thepan: Ummmmm......... If a sensor is programmed to send "RF wheel", and that wheel is rotated to the LR, what does the sensor still send ??? :sneaky:

·
Administrator
71,006 Posts
There's a good Japanese law firm in Baltimore - easy to find in the book - look for "SOSUMI". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
As it turns out the shop that did my last tire rotation must have also reset the sensors. I reset them last night and the same low pressure lf appears. This only lasts until the tires warm up then it shows the same pressure as the rest, except for about a pound. Sensor must be going.

·
Administrator
71,006 Posts
Those things have a lithium battery installed. Of course, they have a finite lifespan. Anybody ever replace a battery, or do you have to replace the whole sensor ???

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
As it turns out the shop that did my last tire rotation must have also reset the sensors. I reset them last night and the same low pressure lf appears. This only lasts until the tires warm up then it shows the same pressure as the rest, except for about a pound. Sensor must be going.
Don't forget that when the tires warm up you will pick up a couple pounds of pressure from heat expansion.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Those things have a lithium battery installed. Of course, they have a finite lifespan. Anybody ever replace a battery, or do you have to replace the whole sensor ???
The battery is not a service item. It "might be" possible to replace the battery but GM only sells the complete sensor.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I had a sensor replaced a year ago. I believe it was less than $10, to my surprise. When I had my tires rotated, they must have reset the sensors without telling me, because the readings were still accurate. This was all at a service station, not a dealer.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
I had a sensor replaced a year ago. I believe it was less than $10, to my surprise.
You might check the service documents if you can; sensors were more like $40 to $50 last time I checked.
When I had my tires rotated, they must have reset the sensors without telling me, because the readings were still accurate. This was all at a service station, not a dealer.
Do everything you can to be sure this 'service station' operator remains in business! You have found someone who cares about your car and your future service needs. Rare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts