Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to Cadillac and have purchased a very nice 2001 STS with TPM ( 17inch factory alloys). I have recently also purchased a very nice set of rims from an older car ( an STS , I believe) that should bolt on. These are for winter tires that are a must up here in Maine. The older rims are 16's. I understand ( I think) that the TPM system works thru transmitters located in the wheel that communicate with the computer located in the trunk. Sounds like the computer is remote of the PCM. If I remove the original alloys for winter and use these alternate rims with snows, will I constantly get a warning from the computer regarding tire pressure? Can the computer be "turned off" for winter ? I can't imagine that this isn't a common issue given the use of snow tires and the constant upgrading of rims these days. I really appreciate any help that is out there . Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Yes it can be turned off... But this is a dealer only project...

Unless you just happen to have a Tech II in your bag of tools...

Most dealers (mine anyway) will activate and deactivate this for you, if you ask, for no additional charge...

If you pay them to mount and de-mount your winters... Or if you do it with some other service, like say an oil change...

Of course expect them to try and sell up with the ol' 40 point safety inspection, winterization... bla bla bla...

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
formula292 said:
Hello, I am new to Cadillac and have purchased a very nice 2001 STS with TPM ( 17inch factory alloys). I have recently also purchased a very nice set of rims from an older car ( an STS , I believe) that should bolt on. These are for winter tires that are a must up here in Maine. The older rims are 16's. I understand ( I think) that the TPM system works thru transmitters located in the wheel that communicate with the computer located in the trunk. Sounds like the computer is remote of the PCM. If I remove the original alloys for winter and use these alternate rims with snows, will I constantly get a warning from the computer regarding tire pressure? Can the computer be "turned off" for winter ? I can't imagine that this isn't a common issue given the use of snow tires and the constant upgrading of rims these days. I really appreciate any help that is out there . Thanks, Steve
I tend to agree with Ur7x pertaining to the computer TPM, however changing wheel size must accompany profile size as well, or else your suspension level will be off too. Just keep that in mind.

FYI...profile is the overall height dimension. You can change wheel size all day long, but the tire must keep the OEM profile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts