Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another problem with my 2008 SRX. This time I was driving in the rain on a street I am very familiar with when I found the only puddle on the road. It was not exactly a deep puddle. The tire pressure monitor light started flashing and shortly stayed on. Anyone ever have this problem? Will it reset or is it something serious?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
226 Posts
I have another problem with my 2008 SRX. This time I was driving in the rain on a street I am very familiar with when I found the only puddle on the road. It was not exactly a deep puddle. The tire pressure monitor light started flashing and shortly stayed on. Anyone ever have this problem? Will it reset or is it something serious?
What tire pressures are showing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The tire pressure sensors are located on the stems but inside the tire. They're powered by tiny batteries that go dead after a few years. The whole sensor has to be replaced because the batteries are part of the unit. They're not really expensive but they are a pain because the tire has to be removed from the rim to replace them. Only one or two of mine work and I have learned to accept the tire warning light being permanently on. I regularly check my tires with an accurate gauge anyway. (y)

Tire shops sometimes will break perfectly good sensors when changing tires (intentionally or not) and try to make you buy "their" replacements at a much higher cost. Sometimes the replacements they sell don't even send the tire pressure value, only shut the warning light off. I'm not sure if it's policy or not but I have had both Sam's club and Costco refuse to install sensors I bought elsewhere, even if they were genuine GM parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tire pressure sensors are located on the stems but inside the tire. They're powered by tiny batteries that go dead after a few years. The whole sensor has to be replaced because the batteries are part of the unit. They're not really expensive but they are a pain because the tire has to be removed from the rim to replace them. Only one or two of mine work and I have learned to accept the tire warning light being permanently on. I regularly check my tires with an accurate gauge anyway. (y)

Tire shops sometimes will break perfectly good sensors when changing tires (intentionally or not) and try to make you buy "their" replacements at a much higher cost. Sometimes the replacements they sell don't even send the tire pressure value, only shut the warning light off. I'm not sure if it's policy or not but I have had both Sam's club and Costco refuse to install sensors I bought elsewhere, even if they were genuine GM parts.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
1,037 Posts
The batteries that power the sensors last about 10 yrs. I had mine replaced by Discount Tire last time I bought new tires. Probably cheaper options but I was away from home at the time of tire replacement. Been a couple years and no issues.

·
2009 SRX Northstar
Cadillac
65 Posts
Your experience was better than mine. I was driving down the freeway in Southern California when my tire pressure dash light illuminated. Then my remote locking fob’s immediately stopped working! But, thanks to the forum I located & installed a new receiver…still had the TPMS on the dash but remotes & remote start worked again. A visit to PepBoys ended in a $500 estimate to replace 4 sensors. No thanks…the TPMS light is on right now, I simply ignore it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The batteries that power the sensors last about 10 yrs. I had mine replaced by Discount Tire last time I bought new tires. Probably cheaper options but I was away from home at the time of tire replacement. Been a couple years and no issues.
It was odd that the 2 front sensors quit working after I ran through a puddle but the back 2 are still working.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
1,037 Posts
It was odd that the 2 front sensors quit working after I ran through a puddle but the back 2 are still working.
Agree odd to have two stop at the same time. You might try resetting them. There's procedure in the owner's manual on my 07 but I could never get it to completely work so I just stopped at Discount Tire and they would reset. I think any tire stop should have the tool to do it. What year is your vehicle and have they ever been changed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree odd to have two stop at the same time. You might try resetting them. There's procedure in the owner's manual on my 07 but I could never get it to completely work so I just stopped at Discount Tire and they would reset. I think any tire stop should have the tool to do it. What year is your vehicle and have they ever been changed?
Year-2008. Don't know if they had been changed. Bought it used 3 years ago with fairly new tires in good shape. I'll check the manual and try to make sense of it. If that doesn't work I'll check with a tire shop. Unfortunately the one I have used in the past was sold and I don't know the new people. Wonder if my regular mechanic would be able to do it. He sells tires too, just not the kind I would be buying for a Cadillac. I'll check with him too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts