Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i decided to monitor my tire pressure over a week period and i got some disturbing results :suspect:
Petro Canada has these nice new digital air pumps in my area so that you can pump your tires to the nearest 1psi so last saturday i got them all on a bubble at 36psi..... so 3 days later i checked the pressure at the same gas station and both of my rears went up by 1 to 37 and front by 2 to 38 then checked again today and my rears are up at 38 and front at 39
am i :cookoo:
i know tires loose about 1psi a month but to gain 2-3psi a week???
i do lots of highway milage during the week but i dont think this would effect the tire pressure, the only thing im thinking is the changes weather:banghead:
can someone clarify me on this matter

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Filling the tires at a gas station isn't a very effective method, since your tires will already be heated to a certain degree. The next time you check, they may be hotter or colder depending on how fast you took turns, the weather, how many lights you got stuck at, etc....

The only surefire way to monitor it is to adjust and measure first thing in the morning before moving the car.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2007 cts
107 Posts
He's right with big swings in air tempitures air pressure will rise and fall espically with winter coming get your own airpressue gauge

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's right with big swings in air tempitures air pressure will rise and fall espically with winter coming get your own airpressue gauge
i do have a digital pressure gauge, but it was made in china so its not to be trusted... i bet it was made of lead and toxic waste materials:yup:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
516 Posts
36...thats not too much?
I run 36psi, also. The max pressure on my tires is 44psi. (225/50/17), so I figure 36 is safe. I do have problems though with down readings on my front tires. I've been as low as 22psi with no visible signs of screw or nail punctures. I figured it's a Cadillac thing:annoyed:

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an oblique reference to the ads you see for the filling of tires with a magic gas that doesn't seem to leak out or follow the laws of physics.
ohhhh... now that i think about it i saw an ad featuring some gas they put in your tires, but dont recall wat was the point of doing that

Set the tire pressures to the value on the door sticker. The number on the tires is the max pressure.
i just checked the door sticker and it calles for 30psi i dont know wat i was thinking witih 36:banghead:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
For those of you that don't follow NASCAR racing; tire pressures build as you drive and tire temp goes up. If you start high to begin with things are going to get pretty harsh. Check tire pressures before you start your drive while tires are cold.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those of you that don't follow NASCAR racing; tire pressures build as you drive and tire temp goes up. If you start high to begin with things are going to get pretty harsh. Check tire pressures before you start your drive while tires are cold.
NASCAR is for Americans...:hide:
i love my Formula 1 racing:p

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
NASCAR is for Americans...:hide:
i love my Formula 1 racing:p
I seem to have seen some Formula 1 past champions defecting to NASCAR. For Formula 1 to regain their past dominace of the world racing scene they're going to have to relearn the process of passing each other on the track rather than in the pits. Formula 1 is a single file promenade.

·
Registered
Cadillac
184 Posts
On the door it states something along the lines of adding an additional 4 psi if the tires are hot. Therefore I would assume you can expect a 4 psi swing on the tires depending on how hot/cold. Having said that my factory tires are quite brutal at losing air and they always have been. Do gases other than oxygen help this? I'm not sure, but on the Jay Leno garage web site he indicated that they are better at preventing wheel corrosion inside the tire..

·
Premium Member
28,974 Posts
On the door it states something along the lines of adding an additional 4 psi if the tires are hot. Therefore I would assume you can expect a 4 psi swing on the tires depending on how hot/cold. Having said that my factory tires are quite brutal at losing air and they always have been. Do gases other than oxygen help this? I'm not sure, but on the Jay Leno garage web site he indicated that they are better at preventing wheel corrosion inside the tire..
Any difference between using dry atmospheric air and just about any other gas is purely imaginary.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Traditionally, the smaller the sidewall the higher the suggested psi. Anything over 33 cold is excessive.

I run that in the 18's on my V, which keeps the tires from rolling over under hard cornering and sharpens initial steering response. They get up to about 36-37 hot, and there are a few downsides such as following the crown of the road more and a slight "wander" over rough surfaces, but it beats the hell out of shaving the outside edge of my tires every 10,000 miles due to rollover.

·
Registered
'03 Cadillac CTS
16 Posts
The only benefit of Nitrogen in your tires is its less likely to leak out as its a larger gass then oxygen, and it weighs less. For your average car its useless as its only really advantage is to people looking to shed a few pounds of dead weight (racing cars) and for semi-rigs.

I have nitrogen in my tires cause my dad works for a tire shop and they've made no difference as far as I can tell and like Nikon said you will still see a PSI change, cause its all based of the atmpospheric pressure outside the tire as well and temp.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts