Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased new tires for my V and had them mounted and balanced at the local Discount Tire shop which was the only place in town that could remove our stock EMT tires. Anyway, they mounted and balanced the new tires, but now I can't help but notice that around 75-80mph (normal highway cruising speed for me) there is an ever so slight vibration being transmitted through the steering column (it's not the road as it seems to go away below 50mph). You can even see the steering wheel going back and forth ever so slightly if you look down at the wheel. I don't remember if this vibration or the visual movement of the wheel was the same with the "factory" balance job, but I'm pretty sure it's worse or I probably would have noticed it before with the old tires.

So I guess my question is this: What's the best way to get ones tires/wheels balanced so that these higher speed vibrations can be elimated? This is the second time that I've received a less than adequate balance job at this shop. Are there places that are better equipped to balance ones wheels/tires so that at the high speeds we normally travel the tires/wheels won't vibrate as much?

Thanks,
ualdriver

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I should take it to the shop and ask for a road force balance. I'll give them one more shot and mention that to them. I'm pretty sure they only did a spin balance as that's what it says on the receipt...

skepticman, I checked out that site and lo and behold, that same tire place has that machine. I'm going to have them use it when I take it back in.

Just out of curiosity, if there is a defect in the wheel or tire that is causing the problem, how is that diagnosed? Basically trial and error eliminating other causes or can a tire/wheel shop examine the wheel and/or tire and determine a defect with either?

Thanks guys for the info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.