Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a fully loaded Crystal Red CTS a couple of weeks ago but I am having a hard time waiting for delivery which my dealer says should be the last week of September. Any tips on how to pass the time and keep my mind on something else until it arrives?

Ideas so far:

Count Caddie's that drive by my house.
Read lots of cadillacforums posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Where did you order from?

I suggest reading a few of the reviews on site.

Of course it'll make the wait that much harder but at least you'll be enjoying the read.

JB

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered through my local dealer. I live in a very small town and they don't carry a lot of inventory out here. So they let me configure one from there allotment the way I wanted before they submitted the order.

But I just ordered every option possible. (i think)

MSRP......................................Invoice
Base $34,545.00 ..........................$32,299.58
Dest Chg $745.00..............................$745.00
Total Opt $13,945.00 ..........................$11,574.35
Total $49,235.00............................$45,496.41

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
Hey in my country it won't be available for a couple of months or more, and I'm already finding myself going to these forums at least a couple times a day to keep the belief "it's almost here"! I'm impatient to see and drive this car...

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, like JB said... Reading the forum "will make the wait that much harder, but at least you will be enjoying the read."

The more I read about the car the harder it is to wait. I am even to the point of taking the long way home from work to drive by the dealer on the chance that the car magically arrived 3 weeks early :bonkers:

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
I passed the time by finding as many online reviews of the CTS as I could (found 12 so far). Also looked for as many pictures of the car configured just like mine to make a screen saver out of. Have replaced it with actual pictures of my car (Crystal Red/Titanium).

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! I have the car as my screen saver too!!

How do you like the Crystal Red/Titanium?

I ordered Crystal Red/Cashmere and then struggled with whether to call the dealer back and switch to Titanium.

I have never been a Beige guy, but the Cashmere looked so good with the red in the catalog. Kinda rich, ya know? But now I am thinking I should have stuck with what I KNOW I like which is Titanium...

X

·
0 Posts
The car will be stunning I'm sure. Am I missing something? Is everyone paying in the mid $40,000 range for a 6cyl Caddy? $45,000+ for a non V car? Am I wrong in thinking this is highway robbery? It is way more car than my '05 but Jesus $15,000 more? Uh no. I'd probably trip out on the new one too if I ever saw one in person but $45,000+ WTF?

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
The car will be stunning I'm sure. Am I missing something? Is everyone paying in the mid $40,000 range for a 6cyl Caddy? $45,000+ for a non V car? Am I wrong in thinking this is highway robbery? It is way more car than my '05 but Jesus $15,000 more? Uh no. I'd probably trip out on the new one too if I ever saw one in person but $45,000+ WTF?
People have been paying a lot more than that for 6cyl BMW's and Benz's for years. And for a lot less standard equipment.:yup:

X

·
0 Posts
6cyl BMW's and Benz's which have the factory backing the thing for performance. Can the stock CTS run with the comporable Germans? I don't know the answer, I'm asking. I know the Germans build thier cars to perform on the track. IMO GM has put all efforts into the V's and left the "stock" versions to shrivel on the vine performance wise. Maybe they did something other than DI to the cars? I don't actually know. I must ask. Can the new CTS handle and HP with the comparable cars in it's class? I'm only interested in the performance aspects. Looks and other's aside. because I KNOW the old CTS's are pathetically behind the curve. GM should be ashamed of themselves for thier lacking in this area.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could order the base model and have a great car for the low $30's

I got it fully loaded basically for an extra $15k.

MSRP on mine was $49,235.00

...If you subtract:

$1740 - Y42 - All-season perf tire pack
$8165 - PDQ - Premium Luxury Collection
$995 - 89U - Crystal Red Tricoat paint
$750 - P63 - 18" high polish wheels
$1900 - MX7 - AWD transmission

You have a really nice 2008 CTS still well equiped for an MSRP of $35,685.00

..Haggle a little bit and you will probably pay $34k

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6cyl BMW's and Benz's which have the factory backing the thing for performance. Can the stock CTS run with the comporable Germans? I don't know the answer, I'm asking. I know the Germans build thier cars to perform on the track. IMO GM has put all efforts into the V's and left the "stock" versions to shrivel on the vine performance wise. Maybe they did something other than DI to the cars? I don't actually know. I must ask. Can the new CTS handle and HP with the comparable cars in it's class? I'm only interested in the performance aspects. Looks and other's aside. because I KNOW the old CTS's are pathetically behind the curve. GM should be ashamed of themselves for thier lacking in this area.
I haven't driven the car yet, but according to the review done in this months issue of Motor Trend (Crystal Red Pic on Cover :D)... Yes! Performance wise, the 2008 CTS can run with the comparable Germans... So when the V comes out next year it should SMOKE them...

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
People keep writing about $45,000 for a 6 cylinder luxury car. I went to the BMWUSA website today to see what a 535i goes for and it's performance, since it's the same size as the CTS. Base price, with the 300HP engine, leatherette interior and no options is $49,400 plus $775 shipping.

MSRP $49,400
Options and accessories $0
Destination charge $775
Total price as built* $50,175

That's the same price as a fully loaded CTS with four wheel drive.

A base Mercedes E350 is $51,675. (mbusa.com)

A base Lexus GS350 is $44,150. (Lexus.com)

So a base CTS is $10,000 to $15,000 less than the competion. I think it a great deal!

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
All this talking about MSRP is making me thirsty! Grey Goose Martini, down and dirty anyone!! :alchi:

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
I KNOW the old CTS's are pathetically behind the curve
What didn't you like about the outgoing CTS? I haven't driven the car but most reviews suggested it was quite good handling-wise. Compared against some mid-size cars including 530, S-Type, A6, E320 and some others, it was once called "the true sports car out of the pack" by R&T. Most other reviews highlight its handling too. So my understanding was that it was a great handler but just lacked overall refinement and solid credentials to command mid-size luxury pricing. My test driving of the new car will be quite limited due to poor test drive culture in my country, but the handling factor is very important to me, so I'm trying to get as many critical opinions as possible. Could you share your experience that calls for naming it "pathetic"?

X

·
0 Posts
The power was really my only bother. I absolutely love the look of the car. Makes me weak in the knees. I LOVE driving it. The interior?...yes it needed help. Handling? Pretty good. I didn't get the sport pack. I bought recklessly and didn't investigate the car. I certainly would like to have had at least the sport package.

I would never buy a German car. I wish GM would've gone after the potential of the 3.6 vvt's abilities. I think a High perf option would've been nice to see...iether turboed or blown...

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
Ok, I see. Well, the new one gets 300 HP stock, which is not that bad at all. Not pathetic definitely. And they have revised the platform with the V in mind; the track is now wider. Though my concern still is how good it handles given its huge weight.

I don't think there are significant chances that GM will turbo the 3.6 because it will make creep into the V8 territory (in fact the DI already did that), and if GM decides to make a more powerful CTS when it is ready to market it against the 5-er and E-klasse, they would most likely prefer a V8 path rather than a turbo 3.6 path, because those cars have V8's and there are still a lot of V8 afficionados who don't buy into turbos, although in many cases a lag free low pressure turbine makes a much more nimble car than larger displacement, due to lots of torque coming on early, and less weight.

X

·
0 Posts
I see the potential in the technology of the 3.6vvt far under used IMO. 300hp is certainly a move in the right direction. I like my angular lines to the new one. I like my car for different reasons than most though. I have to ask myself. If I trade her in, what would I get? A low mile V for high 30's? or $45,000 for a new one with 300 hp? I'm a racer. My choice is simple. Now with that said. Would I like the "new" v? Hmmm. Don't know. We're talking High 50's low 60's now. $30,000 difference. New lines/interior and a blower? or or a used V which is stupid fast already and spend my $30,000 I saved on 2 harleys or a boat? Any guesses which way I'm leaning?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts