Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on owning a CTS in the near future, and was wondering questions I should ask/things I should look for in my search? I'm looking at
one right now with around 80k miles from a private owner. What should I look for in the VIN car history? I know that generally Cadillacs have a problem with the engine oil consumption, so I'll be checking out whether the exhaust pipes pour out blue smoke, checking how many quarts of oil the car consumed between oil changes, how many miles would consume 1 quart, etc. Thanks!

----------

I'm not sure why I can't edit my original post so I apologize in advance for the double post. Even if it's something basic please do share as I might have overlooked it. Anything would help.

·
Registered
2011 CTS AWD
49 Posts
An Independent Mechanic should look at the car, best Money you can spend.
Check to see if the car has been maintained at a Cadillac Dealership, The Records from the Dealership may help with your decision.
You will be able to see what recalls have been taken care of, maintenance etc.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
640 Posts
I also just bought a 2009 CTS AWD 3.6 DI with 67k miles in Jan. I was actually hoping to find a '10-'11 with less than 50k but considering I had a pretty specific option list (Crystal Red / Ebony, Performance and Premium packages, AWD) I figured I better snag that one when I found it. Got it from a dealer where most of the maintenance was performed and recorded in CarFax. Might be beneficial to get a report on it, find out the service history and see what recall work has been done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am new to the forum. A year ago this month I bought a 2009 CTS, 3.6 DI, AWD with performance and luxury package and 25K mileage from my local Cadillac dealer. Best of all was it was the color I was looking for, crystal red with black interior. So far no problems. I was told to keep the oil level up to avoid timing chain issues. Also advised that there is a 10 year / 100K warranty from Cadillac on the chain. Hope I don't need to use it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also just bought a 2009 CTS AWD 3.6 DI with 67k miles in Jan. I was actually hoping to find a '10-'11 with less than 50k but considering I had a pretty specific option list (Crystal Red / Ebony, Performance and Premium packages, AWD) I figured I better snag that one when I found it. Got it from a dealer where most of the maintenance was performed and recorded in CarFax. Might be beneficial to get a report on it, find out the service history and see what recall work has been done.
I'm having the same problem too looking for a 08+ black on black CTS with minimal miles, but apparently they're being hoarded. Settled for this 80k mile, and plan on checking it out.

What are the main issues with this model? I've heard CTS around the 09 era had problems with the 3.6 engine like some of them have problems eating up more gas than it should. Also heard something about the timing belt, but not too sure?

----------

And how about the long term reliability. I've heard good things regarding reliability and CTS, but I've also heard the opposite.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
640 Posts
There's another thread on the timing chain, you can register here https://my.cadillac.com/na-cadillac/myvehicle and input the VIN, it will tell you if special coverage 11340 for the timing chain applies, it's 10 years or 120k miles. In a nutshell it seems Cadillac initially had oil change intervals programmed to go 9k or 10k miles before the oil life would indicate time for a change. If you run it that long however the oil level could drop by several quarts, and without proper lubrication the chain tensioners fail and boom, you've got timing chain problems. More frequent oil changes and checking for proper level seem to be key in avoiding chain problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts