Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any tips on washing your car? my car is that pearl gray? I think that's what is called, it's gray with some shinny into it.
I've washed it 3 times already since I got it, and it's always the same, I try to wash it differently since I didn't like the results of the first ones but the result it's the same, I still see some dirt slash into the paint, I have waxed it 1 time. I've had the car only 1 month by the way. I use the turtle wax and I like to use normal towels, but the really soft normal towels( the one you use after showers) but I really don't think the towels have to do with anything, because I still see dirt. You could also say the car it's mostly like a black paint. Any tips? Any product you guys recommend towels?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,022 Posts
What are you using to wash it? What soap, what sort of sponge or wash mitt or whatever? If it doesn't seem like it's coming clean then maybe you're not using the right stuff.

After washing and before you wax you can try doing a clay bar treatment. Mother's and Meguiars (and others) sell kits with the clay bar itself, plus some sort of lubricating quick detailer spray. The clay bar process is very easy to do, and you can definitely feel a before-and-after difference when you gently run your fingertips across the area you've done and compare it to an area you haven't done yet.

You can pick up packs of small, microfiber rags/towels at all of the auto parts chain stores or Walmart. 100% cotton "diapers" are also good to use. I would think using a normal bath towel would be somewhat cumbersome due to the size.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
I use either a micro fiber wash mitt or soft brush. With all meguiars professional soap. I mix all 3. I would wash your car. Clay bar it. Wash it. Then wax it.

And this for wax

And I use compressed air / leaf blower to dry it. Never use towels. If I do its to dry windows / apply rain ex. Or wash my rims with them (micro fiber ) ( regular cotton if need be to dry ( bath towel ) )

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,392 Posts
Get into www.autogeek.net - the car care toy store in West Palm Beach.

I like their Pinnacle line of products. Spend the few bucks and get their wash/wax/detail DVD. The DVD goes well with a scotch & water.

This is just after working with their car wash liquid, clay bar, fine swirl remover, Souveran carnauba wax last fall. Chamois-dried, air compressor for the cracks ands crevices, foam pads and PorterCable for the swirl work, microfiber and sweat for the wax.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use either a micro fiber wash mitt or soft brush. With all meguiars professional soap. I mix all 3. I would wash your car. Clay bar it. Wash it. Then wax it.

And this for wax

And I use compressed air / leaf blower to dry it. Never use towels. If I do its to dry windows / apply rain ex. Or wash my rims with them (micro fiber ) ( regular cotton if need be to dry ( bath towel ) )
Alright guys, thanks for all of your tips!! Next time I wash my car I'll buy some new things you guys recommended and I'll let you all know how it went!! I might stick to a towel, I saw one on walmart with around 50 reviews and all of them 4*+ so I want to try that out! By the way, I did use a leaf blower this time I used it!! The coin washer I went to had the leaf blower so you can dry your car!! But that didn't work!! Might be the soap I'm using, I'll try to find another soap! Thanks guys

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Autogeek is good. They sell the meguiars stuff there. Every once and a while they do 20% off and free shipping. They also price match with competitors

·
Registered
2005 CTS- V
48 Posts
You might also want to consider using the "2 Bucket Method" when washing. That is one bucket with soap mix and the other bucket 1/3 full with clean water. Apply soap from bucket one, and then rinse sponge/towel in bucket two before going back into soapy water. It prevents you from spreading dirt into your soapy water and then re-applying it to the car. You will be surprised how much crap will be in the bottom of bucket two when you're done!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded 2015 SRX-traded 2006 STS
110 Posts
You can look at autogeek or/and find some of it locally. Ponch is very correct with the multiple bucket system and mitts.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Normally I don't use the mitt or brush to go down so far (rocker panels) or use them for rims

Although I do use this bucket that is a grit guard and the contaminates / dirt falls to the bottom

·
Registered
04 CTS Base, 3.6, 07 CTS Base
28 Posts
I always wash the tires, wheels and wheel wells, and rocker panels first, than change to micro fiber towel with clean bucket of soap and water, tried Meguiars deep crystal car wash soap, ad it does a great job. Than I use a old bath towel to dry, the good 100 % cotton, and my wife washes the towels by their self and uses no softners, it makes the towels not pick up the water, and streaks. A black or dark car is a lot harder to wash, and make look good. I always use the leaf blower to dry my Harleys, but never use it on the cars and trucks...

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Cotton towels will still cause fine swirls. Chamois or microfiber is the way to go for drying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts