Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this sounds a little obvious, but it's interesting due to how different the results are compared to the tests that give microcars like the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit excellent ratings. A lot of people don't know this, but the "excellent" and "good" ratings assigned to those vehicles are based on collisions with similar sized vehicles (other microcars).

According to a new test which involved crashing microcars into larger vehicles (like a Mercedes C class), the microcar's dummies all suffered significant injury. Since most accidents in the "real world" involve a "regular sized" car (not another microcar), this puts an interesting spin on the supposedly high safety ratings of cars like the Yaris and Smart ForTwo.

Micro-cars can give motorists top-notch fuel efficiency at a competitive price, but the insurance industry says they don't fare too well in collisions with larger vehicles.

In crash tests released Tuesday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that drivers of 2009 versions of the Smart "fortwo," Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris could face significant leg and head injuries in severe front-end crashes with larger, mid-size vehicles.

"There are good reasons people buy mini-cars. They're more affordable, and they use less gas. But the safety trade-offs are clear from our new tests," said Adrian Lund, the institute's president.

He told CBS News, "We know people are trying to save money in this economy; it's just not healthy decision to do that by buying the smallest cars. ... Small cars are at a disadvantage in almost all crashes."
The test was conducted at 40mph, which is considered an "extreme" accident, but the difference in the performance of the micorocars from previous IIHS tests was startling.

In the fortwo collision, the Institute said the Smart (which weighs 1,808 lbs.) went airborne and turned around 450 degrees after striking the C Class, which weighs nearly twice as much.

There was extensive damage to the fortwo's interior, and the Smart driver could have faced extensive injuries to the head and legs. There was little damage to the front seat area of the C Class.
Toyota spokesman John Hansen was dismissive of the tests, accusing the IIHS of "having an agenda".

"It's fairly obvious that they have an agenda here with regard to how smaller cars are going to be entering the North American market in larger numbers," Hanson said.

Full story

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Haha, I've always said those cars such shit. I recently saw one get stuck in the snow all I could hear was a little ****ing electric motor. The funny part was that I had got through that snow with ease 5 minutes earlier.

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Physics is a bitch.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
Agree with MauiV.....simple jr high physics tells you that the smaller car is going to lose......however it was fun to watch the crash test videos and see the little cars fly 30 feet from the impact site!

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Haha. I argue with people constantly about how unsafe the Smart cars are and they always say "It got good ratings." Now I have something to contradict them with. I always wondered what one would look like after getting close and personal with a Semi.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Um...duh?

And that was against an Accord and a C-Class --- not the largest of vehicles.

Where is the Yaris v. 'Lade test??

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
I lol'ed at the end of the Merc vs Smart when the Mercedes logo just flew away :lol:

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I want to see Smart vs Dodge crew cab dually. The smart would look like a bug that got splattered in the truck's grill

·
Registered
'98 ETC Black 90k miles
1,061 Posts
To hell with that, let me see my ETC up against one of those Smart cars or the Fit. The Yaris fared a little better, but it's also heavier and bigger. A 1998 ETC replacing the Merc in that first test . . . . jeez. The Smart's engine would be in the driver's lap, and the driver's teeth would end up as hood ornaments on the Eldo. Same with the second test.

I watched that first video twice, and in the slo-mo there's a point where you can just tell that if that dummy was a human, he would be dead. The dummy in the Merc is still fumbling with his radio, trying to get the bass just right, while the dummy in the ForTwo is skidding across God's breakfast table.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
I actually thought the Yaris was the worst. It crumpled like a cheap tin can, which is exactly what it is.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
And hello -- FTL FAIL -- the Camry only got an "Acceptable"....against a crackerbox.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts