Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2022 ESV Sport 3.0L Diesel | Infrared Tintcoat | Whisper Beige w/ Jet Black
110 Posts
So I never tinted the sunroof before, but I’ve seen a few do it. Do you think it’s worth it or not worth it ?
I was told not to tint sunroof because it will increase the amount of heat retained and will be more prone to shattering. If my sunroof isn’t open, the shade is closed.

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,521 Posts
The exploding sunroof due to applied tint is a myth that has been around for a long time...some tint places adhere to it, other's don't. I had the tint guy put on ceramic tint over 2.5 years ago and have not had any issues. Is it worth it - on hot days the sunroof shade does a LOT better job, so in my books it's not worth it.

· Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
The summers where I am are hellish hot. I don't have an insulated garage, so it gets really hot too - no problem with the tinted sunroof, but as I said, what I've found is that the sunshade is far superior for preventing heat radiating to the interior from the sunroof than the tint is.

Mine's covered in snow from November to March anyhow!
Awww, I feel sorry for you...there's nothing better than a sunroof with no snow on it in the winter...warm sun in the day shining down on you and a sky filled with stars at night...just kiddin you my Ontarian cuz...Ontarians like to think they get snow...but us Manitobites know the truth!

· Registered
2023 Escalade PLux
43 Posts
I'm going in for tint and ceramic coating today. I'll be doing the windshield in clear and the sunroof. Black car in S. Florida..I'll need any heat blocking I can get. I'll post photos when I get her back on Wed.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,142 Posts
I had the tint guy put on ceramic tint over 2.5 years ago and have not had any issues. Is it worth it - on hot days the sunroof shade does a LOT better job, so in my books it's not worth it.
I’ve experienced similar results. I used to wonder if they even installed the same tint that they demonstrated for me which seemed to block nearly all the heat from a hot bulb because it was nothing like that inside the car.

I think tinted windows look good, but as far as reducing heat it’s way overrated.

Mine's covered in snow from November to March anyhow!
It’s probably cheaper to get it done this time of year.

· Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
I’ve experienced similar results. I used to wonder if they even installed the same tint that they demonstrated for me which seemed to block nearly all the heat from a hot bulb because it was nothing like that inside the car.

I think tinted windows look good, but as far as reducing heat it’s way overrated.

It’s probably cheaper to get it done this time of year.
It's worth it on the side and rear windows to block heat, just not on the sunroof for some reason...shade does a better job. My wife really noticed she does not feel the heat from the side window when were out cruising.

· Premium Member
2023 Escalade Prem Lux, 2021 C8 Corvette
473 Posts
It's worth it on the side and rear windows to block heat, just not on the sunroof for some reason...shade does a better job. My wife really noticed she does not feel the heat from the side window when were out cruising.
I don’t know what tint you’re using but mine is tinted here in Atlanta it’s kept it really cool. I haven’t closed the shade yet

· Registered
2023 Escalade PLux
43 Posts
Got the Escalade back after having the driver and passenger windows tinted to match the back, the sunroof tinted in clear ceramic (the tint guy was pushing for a dark tint, but I liked clear) and the windshield in clear. Used Expel. In our experience, the difference in heat blocking is immediately obvious for both front seat passengers. It’s a major improvement for us.
Before tint, even with the sunshade closed, you could feel the sun heating up the other side of the shade. That sensation is gone. I find that I open the sunshade much more now. And the front seat comfort is greatly improved. The hot Florida sun is held back. Also, there is zero glare, rainbows or banding while wearing sunglasses that some have reported. If I didn’t know the windshield had a film, I couldn’t tell. Just far less heat transmission.

Just my experience notes.

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the Escalade back after having the driver and passenger windows tinted to match the back, the sunroof tinted in clear ceramic (the tint guy was pushing for a dark tint, but I liked clear) and the windshield in clear. Used Expel. In our experience, the difference in heat blocking is immediately obvious for both front seat passengers. It’s a major improvement for us.
Before tint, even with the sunshade closed, you could feel the sun heating up the other side of the shade. That sensation is gone. I find that I open the sunshade much more now. And the front seat comfort is greatly improved. The hot Florida sun is held back. Also, there is zero glare, rainbows or banding while wearing sunglasses that some have reported. If I didn’t know the windshield had a film, I couldn’t tell. Just far less heat transmission.

Just my experience notes.
I’m in south Florida. So highly debating attending the whole panoramic roof.I will prob go a tad darker if I do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts