Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read all the threads with people getting shafted by the air bubbles over the dot matrix when they tried to tint the back window. It held me back from doing the tint for a little while but I figured I would just take the plunge. So sure enough when I took it in this morning, I got the dots. (Pics below). I didn't tell my tint guy to do the vinyl thing over the matrix, maybe I should have. So now what I'm wondering is, for those who have encountered this problem, does the condition of the bubbles get any better after the two to three weeks it takes for the tint to fully cure? It's just one of those little things that's kind of bugging me, it doesn't look so bad from some angles but at others, it reflects a lot of light and looks really tacky. I got it on my rear quarter windows as well, have any of you gotten it in that same area? Just take a look at the pictures. I'm planning on waiting a little bit to see how it cures, there's not a lot of sun right now so it's probably going to be longer. I plan on doing something about it but overall, dropping tint on our CTS' looks amazingly good...especially on one of the darker shadow colors. I got 30 front and 20 rear. Here are the pictures, please excuse my really dirty car...been getting a lot of rain so I'm not trying to wash it right now. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Krank said:
So now what I'm wondering is, for those who have encountered this problem, does the condition of the bubbles get any better after the two to three weeks it takes for the tint to fully cure? It's just one of those little things that's kind of bugging me, it doesn't look so bad from some angles but at others, it reflects a lot of light and looks really tacky. I got it on my rear quarter windows as well, have any of you gotten it in that same area? Just take a look at the pictures.
The condition on mine DID get better....but that was also because of my tint guy being aware of the problem BEFORE he put on the tint and told me to come back in 2 weeks for him to do some touch up work after the initial tint job. He very carefully tried to push the tint up against the matrix by sections and I also recalled him using a tool that looks like a blow dryer while applying the tint (and low heat) since he said that the main cause was the tint not being able to stick to the dot matrix, thus leaving small pockets around each dot which prevents the tint from drying. If you run your finger across the dot matrix from the inside of your car, you can see small pockets of gray/white liquid moving around...If you press really hard against it, some of the gray will disappear and it all turns to black, except for the small areas around each dot.....Bottom line (well at least in my case), I was not able to get rid of it all...I guess in 2 years of ownership I have gotten used to it and can overlook it...But it does clear up a bit, not a whole lot though...As far as the rear quarter, I think mine is the same...I will have to take a look when I get home.....I kinda remember seeing something really small like yours near the edge of the window, but since it was so small in width (less than .5cm) it wasn't an issue for me....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Quite honestly, a good window tinter will not have these issues. Yes, the "dots" pose a problem, but they should not show up at up--zero. Usually, this area is done by two people: one to hold the tint dryer while the other works each difficult area with a tint squeegee to remove the air. Take it back and have them do it right. The really good tinter even knows how to remove fixed rear side windows, tint them, and reinstall them.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
SoCadillac said:
Quite honestly, a good window tinter will not have these issues. Yes, the "dots" pose a problem, but they should not show up at up--zero. Usually, this area is done by two people: one to hold the tint dryer while the other works each difficult area with a tint squeegee to remove the air. Take it back and have them do it right. The really good tinter even knows how to remove fixed rear side windows, tint them, and reinstall them.
Interesting...Even the tint shop that does the tint work for my dealer has the same problem....Can you recommend a shop? You are in Southern Cali right?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
pjohnesq said:
Interesting...Even the tint shop that does the tint work for my dealer has the same problem....Can you recommend a shop? You are in Southern Cali right?
Quality Glass Tinting
Wk: (714) 624-8468
Fx: (714) 491-2425

Ask for Carlos who owns the shop; I hope the numbers are current. He knows all the tricks like a darker rear window tint to help offset the side windows as when you look through the side windows to the other side it is always darker. Another way of finding a good tinter is to look at their vehicles. The good ones typically tint their front windshield, and the only hint is that it looks a bit darker. They do it to prevent UV rays from destroying the dash. Take a look and see whether you can see any tinting edges. It is illegal to tint the front windshield, so they will only do it for themselves and friends.

I live fairly close to Wheel Warehouse, and I always get my wheels and tires from them, along with any alignment. They guys have the exotics and high-end cars being decked-out with wheels, and they also always know the best painters, detailers, tinters, body shops, paintless dent removers.

http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
SoCadillac said:
Quality Glass Tinting
Wk: (714) 624-8468
Fx: (714) 491-2425

Ask for Carlos who owns the shop; I hope the numbers are current.
Thanks for the info..the numbers are correct....I spoke to Carlos and in order to get rid of the bubbles, he sprays the matrix with paint and brings the tint up to the edge of the matrix.....cool stuff...my tint guy was recommending vinyl across the matrix....Now I just have to decide if I want to redo my rear window....Thanks again!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The condition on mine DID get better....but that was also because of my tint guy being aware of the problem BEFORE he put on the tint and told me to come back in 2 weeks for him to do some touch up work after the initial tint job.

The tint guy said the same thing to me as well. Its been 9 days, and I have the same bubbles like you, so hopefully next week the tint guy would be able to get rid of most of them I hope.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
I dont know why you guys are having so many problems with tint. I have my matrix tinted, and it blends in very well. I dont know what my guy did differntly, but I do know he is good. I took these pics a few minutes ago, let me remind you its dark and I did use flash, so the part where the window is painted black (towards the top and the border) will reflect a slightly differnt color than the tint when I use flash, but it gives you an idea of how seamlessly it blends together. In normal daylight the entire window is the same color. Triple Ought has seen my car and can also attest to that. I mean with a dot matrix you will never get it perfect, but this is as close as Ive ever seen it. Here are some picture, dont mind the dirty car, but I did clean my back window for the pics.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yup yup, i agree...i was going to say, when i saw your car nothing struck me as goofy or out of place with the tint. i'm glad i'll be going to him for the tint next week, i'm sure he'll do the same job. thanks for the pics...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Caddy Man said:
so the part where the window is painted black (towards the top and the border)
Detroit Caddy Man - that's the difference "the part where the window is painted black"....I don't think Krank's matrix was painted. I know my matrix wasn't painted so that's why we get those bubbles - tint will not stick properly to the matrix....I guess your only option is to either paint the matrix or put vinyl over it, and then blend in with the tint....

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
pjohnesq said:
Detroit Caddy Man - that's the difference "the part where the window is painted black"....I don't think Krank's matrix was painted. I know my matrix wasn't painted so that's why we get those bubbles - tint will not stick properly to the matrix....I guess your only option is to either paint the matrix or put vinyl over it, and then blend in with the tint....
sorry pjohn, i think you misunderstood what I was saying. My matrix was not painted, I was refering to the part of my pictures where the tint is a dark black and the outside part is gray, thats all completly stock. I just wanted to address that because I didnt want someone saying ''oh how come the border of your window is gray and the rest is black. I was just saying that the grayish part isnt gray, its just the way the light reflected BECAUSE i had to use a flash. All the gray part you see, its the factory stock window. I did nothing but tint my car, never really thought about the whole dot matrix thing until I saw various pictures other members were putting up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. I guess what can be done right now is just to wait a week or two for the film to cure and see what it looks like after it sets, and hope it gets a bit better during that time. The rest of the windows are clean and look well done; it looks real good aside from those three areas that I took pictures of, so I can accept waiting a while before I take it back or go to another shop to get an opinion. I agree that the bubbles on the rear quarter windows shouldn't have happened if it was done well, so I'm a bit annoyed at that but I can understand the rear since it's really heavy on the dots. Although, I did forget to mention to the tint guy that I was serious about the matrix on the rear and how big of an issue it was, so partly my fault there. I'll update again in maybe a week and a half when I bring it in after the tint cures. Other than that, I really like how it looks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I took a pic of my back window, and at night you can't really see the matrix bubbles, but in broad daylight, it is very noticable, while looking at it close up, but at a distance, you can't really notice it. And at night it isn't noticable, at all.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts