Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 srx cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started have some noise coming from my engine and took it in to be looked at I have 49000 on my 2006 srx cadillac and they are telling me it could be by timing chain is there a recall on these a timing chain should be good for at least two hundred thousand, is the happening to other cadillace owners?

12,882 Posts
dianna4452, I can check your vehicle for recalls if you would like. Just direct message me your VIN and I will take care of it from there. Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
I started have some noise coming from my engine and took it in to be looked at I have 49000 on my 2006 srx cadillac and they are telling me it could be by timing chain is there a recall on these a timing chain should be good for at least two hundred thousand, is the happening to other cadillace owners?
I just posted yesterday about my timing chain being stretched and its going to cost me over $2200 to repair. I am trying to weigh my options as I hate to sink this into my 05 which has 72000 miles. My fear is that once they do this other problems will start to happen. Always seems to be my luck that putting a new part in something old causes all the other old parts to decide to go.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
11 Posts
Autozone offers an aftermarket timing chain set that can save you some money if you find someone to do the labor for you.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Autozone offers an aftermarket timing chain set that can save you some money if you find someone to do the labor for you.
Yes, The few mechanics I know want nothing to do with it. Apparently its like a 14-18 hour project. I do lots of work on my own cars but this seems above my skill level.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
11 Posts
It's definitely a chore - but the timing chain cost is cheap. $220 - so if you have the time and ability then you could save yourself a lot of money.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
I believe this is the first mention on this forum of available after market timing chains for the SRX V6. No? Based on GM's timing chain issues that have continued through the 2004-2008 model years, this alternative might be worth a shot, a viable alternative.

PJ

12,882 Posts
Thank you for telling me RippyParts. dianna4452, if you feel comfortable doing so you could simple post your VIN here and I can check it through my system for recalls. That goes for anyone who wants to know or needs to know if their vehicle is involved in any recalls. I hope this helps.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
Re: SRX V6 Timing Chain issue:
My friends have a 2008 SRX V6, no problems that we are aware of @ ~ 45k miles, but they received a "notice from Cadillac" last week that caught their attention regarding timing chains.
The "recall" said (in my words) that the V6 engine is being discussed for timing chain problems "due to extensive oil change intervals": therefore they should bring their car in for an oil change and that the dealer will reprogam their engine module (at no cost, if brought in before Feb 2012) to show a more reasonable oil change interval in order that they do not have the problem.
Has anyone else received such a notice or are they victims of an "April fool joke"???
Thanks for any responses

·
Registered
2008 SRX AWD V-6
177 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I bought my '08 used, from a Chevy dealer with only 21,000 miles on the OD.
I plan to get with a local Caddy service department to make sure I get notice anytime there's programing changes.
With my '07 Trailblazer SS, I never went more than 4000 miles between oil changes since most of us felt the 6 liter motor
had oil pump starvation problems, (particularly with AWD) with hard launches at the track.
NO WAY will I ever go more than 5000 miles between changes on ANY vehicle I own.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I bought my '08 used, from a Chevy dealer with only 21,000 miles on the OD.
I plan to get with a local Caddy service department to make sure I get notice anytime there's programing changes.
With my '07 Trailblazer SS, I never went more than 4000 miles between oil changes since most of us felt the 6 liter motor
had oil pump starvation problems
, (particularly with AWD) with hard launches at the track.
NO WAY will I ever go more than 5000 miles between changes on ANY vehicle I own.
Stillrollin...........please DO NOT take offense at my post as it is not intended to offend anyone. Please DO read the link I have provided, all of it, as it pertains to the failing timing chains on the SRX' 3.6L V6. Swapping out perfectly good motor oil with perfectly good motor oil prevents or mitigates nothing.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...2004/223122-letter-cadillac-isnt-special.html

Rippy provided info. previously posted on the forum from the "forum guru" that explains useful (and safe) motor oil life. Good stuff! SmithB hit the nail on the head when he posted in that thread:

".......Well, we know that the problems isn't solved because people have changed their oil more frequently and still get the error code. I've studied this many times in my engineering classes, then MBA, and then in several quality methods (Six Sigma, TQM, etc.), and this is a classic fallacy in root cause analysis. We usually call it the band-aid approach where people slap a "99% solution" on something that really isn't a 99% solution and, either way, it only serves to cover the defect but doesn't solve the problem. The classic example is if you go out in the morning to start your car and the battery is dead. You replace the battery and the car works fine, so you decide it was the battery. The next day you go out and the battery is dead again. So do you keep replacing batteries? Using this logic, GM would re-write the battery change interval to once a day, when in reality the alternator is bad."

You may have hit on something I have been thinking all along when you noted folks like you with the Trailblazer SS were having issues with the 6.0L engine: oil starvation.

Since the SRX timing chains (stretching) have been problematic for some, even those who changed their motor oil at half the recommended change interval, and GM changed timing chains to mitigate the problem, some still had failures at mileage under 30,000. If my memory serves me correctly, we may have had one or two posters who had the timing chain failure more than once. That means they are on their third set of timing chains!

In my mind, oil starvation or a design flaw that contributes to poor oil circulation, inadequate lubrication, and increased heat on the timing chains is a more likely cause of early timing chain failure. But that still does not explain why some have the issue and some do not.

GM's cutting in half the recommended oil change interval on the V6 to 7,500 miles may actually get more folks to check their motor oil more often and avoid a dangerously low oil level (mysterious oil consumption issue), but what will changing it before the end of its safe, useful life accomplish? The guru said under normal driving conditions the useful and safe motor oil life was OVER 15,000 miles and I belive said it might approach 20,000 miles.

In my mind GM's new recommended oil change interval of 7,500 miles for the 3.6L V6 still does not address the root cause of the timing chain failure.

Swapping out perfectly good motor oil with perfectly good motor oil prevents or mitigates nothing.

PJ

·
Registered
2008 SRX AWD V-6
177 Posts
PJ1520, I agree that it's likely that the functional oil life of Mobil1 is probably far greater than the 5000 miles that I have used for the cut off date for changing. However, if one doesn't take a look under their vehicle more often than onec a year, things may well have gotten into poor condition beyond simple replacement repairs.
The 6.0 liter engine on the AWD TBSS's were designed to allow the right side drive axel to pass through it and that in and of itself was known to starve the oil pump during hard launches. This could easily be verified by using a Dashhawk or some other sensing device to record the oil pressure readings which could be downloaded into a computer program. Most of us familiar with the problem elected to add an extra 1/2 quart of oil to help alleviate this issue. Some even went with a full quart.
At the same time, I have a hard time reconciling the situation that a "world acclaimed quality" engine would have issues with the timing chains when it was designed to replace the 3.8 liter motor that MANY people have gotten over 15000 miles of service from without having ANY issues with the timing chains.
I never heard a word in regards to this issue until I became a member of this board, although I'm not doubting the reports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts