Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Any good service documentation for timing chain replacement. Detailed instructions and procedures would be nice. I've done one on a 3.6 LY7 for an 08 SRX. Wondering if its similar.

My 2012 CTS has 93,000 miles on it and its about time for a new chain to keep this bad boy running for a long time.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
The 3.0 timing chain cases reported here on these pages are near nil.

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
There's always a good manual or alldatadiy to help.

Reactions: atorres307

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Can't imagine the 3.0 is much different than the 3.6 setup, but what I was attempting to convey is that the 3.0 seems to be unaffected by the timing chain affliction.

Are you experiencing any loss in performance or showing any CEL codes or is this purely a preventative measure?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Can't imagine the 3.0 is much different than the 3.6 setup, but what I was attempting to convey is that the 3.0 seems to be unaffected by the timing chain affliction.

Are you experiencing any loss in performance or showing any CEL codes or is this purely a preventative measure?
This is true. Glad I got the 3.0 but I'm experiencing the vehicle kind of sluggish on cold starts early in the AM. It runs fine at operating temperature and its got no CEL or DTCs.

Would love to get the chains replaced both as a preventative measure and to address the issue. Also, the revs fluctuate on idle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Use good oil, check the level frequently, change it according to the OLM, don't bother with the chains unless you get a code.
Thanks! I'm always using 5w-30 with ACDelco filters. And as the OLM goes, I usually go by mileage every 3k miles

Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
At 93,000 miles, have you replaced the spark plugs yet?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
At 93,000 miles, have you replaced the spark plugs yet?
Not yet as I was planning to do that at 97k mark like the owners manual stated. But I might nock it out earlier knowing that it is an easier task and cheaper than a timing chain kit right now

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
Blackstone Labs kept telling me to go further than the 11,000 miles I usually went with my Mobil1.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, change the plugs.

You're pouring money down the drain. You can go much longer on your oil change intervals.
True. Honestly I might start bumping it up 5 to 7k now. & yes, I'm excited to do these plugs. Seems like enough space to work under the hood to be a quite easy job

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Blackstone Labs kept telling me to go further than the 11,000 miles I usually went with my Mobil1.
Thats good to know coming straight from the lab. The 3.0 engines seem pretty reliable as they don't really suffer from the 3.6 issues but staying on top of the maintenance is always king. & yes Mobil 1 can never go wrong with them

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
Use good oil, check the level frequently, change it according to the OLM, don't bother with the chains unless you get a code.
There are plenty of examples of seriously degraded performance before the timing chain error light comes on. And we also know GM increased the tolerance to help them avoid warranty repairs. The wear happens slowly and nobody notices, but when you put new chains and actuators in a 100K+ mile engine the improvement is clear.

I don't know about the 3.0L, but the 3.6L does seem to need timing chains replaced once during the life of the engine, as do nearly all DOHC V6 or V8 engines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts