Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so whats the deal with this timing chain recall GM put out for the 07 CTS's? I just picked up a sweet 07 CTS Sport and I'm trying to find out if it will or would be covered or not. Has anyone here actually had their chains done under the recall or warranty? what kind of crap could I expect to hear from he dealer if I bring this car in for the work to be done?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
No recall - Just extended coverage - 10 years/120k.

I've heard of plenty who have taken advantage.

IIRC the 1st gen 3.6's that got the coverage are 05-07's, could just be 06-07's, I don't remember.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
No recall - Just extended coverage - 10 years/120k.

I've heard of plenty who have taken advantage.

IIRC the 1st gen 3.6's that got the coverage are 05-07's, could just be 06-07's, I don't remember.
Only the 2007 received the extended warranty. GM issued a recall, it basically reprogrammed the DIC for earlier intervals of oil changes. Then 2 or 3 months after that announcement, they made another stating the extended warranty... Just for the 2007. I was severely bummed as I missed that by one year. *knock on wood, at 148,000 miles my engine is still going strong. Just keeping an eye on the oil level. Still changing at about 10,000 miles and still have a heavy foot.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there's no actual recall for these chains? if mine need to be done it'll be up to me to pay for everything?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
So there's no actual recall for these chains? if mine need to be done it'll be up to me to pay for everything?
Correct, no recall, just extended special coverage. Recalls are rarely put out for mechanical issues, usually emissions or safety related.

If you're over 120k you're SOL now, and once 2017 hits all 07's are regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it has 58k on it now, I wonder if I bring it in and have an oil consumption test done that could get the ball rolling on something.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
Well it has 58k on it now, I wonder if I bring it in and have an oil consumption test done that could get the ball rolling on something.
I doubt GM would replace your chains unless they can clearly determine there's slack or they break.

Do you hear any rattle on cold starts? That's what my old 3.6 starting doing before I traded it in, it would rattle for a good 10-15s in the morning, dead give away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK so whats the deal with this timing chain recall GM put out for the 07 CTS's? I just picked up a sweet 07 CTS Sport and I'm trying to find out if it will or would be covered or not. Has anyone here actually had their chains done under the recall or warranty? what kind of crap could I expect to hear from he dealer if I bring this car in for the work to be done?
I have an 06 sts,and curious myself about a recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for letting me know,really wasn't sure.First Caddy I've owned,so still learning and a little bummed at the same time.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >130k miles
566 Posts
These are great cars but require maintenance (like any other). Just check the oil level frequently and it should last a long time. The 3.6 is known to use a fair amount of oil, and low oil level is thought to contribute to the demise of timing chains/tensioners. I noticed that mine uses the most oil (about 1 qt per 1k miles) when I drive freeways or other high RPM conditions. Around town it uses very little. YMMV

And enjoy the car!

Here is a page with a little more info/advice:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts