Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..i just recieved a letter from cadillac telling me the timing chain could wear prematurely and to take it to cadillac to get it replaced. Has anyone else recieved this recall letter ???

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
TonyT805 said:
Hello..i just recieved a letter from cadillac telling me the timing chain could wear prematurely and to take it to cadillac to get it replaced. Has anyone else recieved this recall letter ???
I just got this notice too but it did not state that the timing chain needs to be replaced. It is an ECM tuning of some sort...

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
I just got this notice too but it did not state that the timing chain needs to be replaced. It is an ECM tuning of some sort...
Hey guys, neither of you indicated your location or the model year of your CTS?

If it’s the same as last year’s 2007-09 CTS "Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM/OLM" U.S. recall campaign, then your dealer will reprogram the engine control module to allow more timing chain stretch before triggering the CEL warning, and also reprogram the engine oil life monitor to shorten oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
928S said:
Hey guys, neither of you indicated your location or the model year of your CTS?

If it’s the same as last year’s 2007-09 CTS "Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM/OLM" U.S. recall campaign, then your dealer will reprogram the engine control module to allow more timing chain stretch before triggering the CEL warning, and also reprogram the engine oil life monitor to shorten oil change intervals.
I have an 08 CTS4 AWD...I thought I had it in for this already but apparently not. Yes it is the same as you stated...it references "customer service satisfaction program 10287".

Regarding the shorter oil change intervals...figures, it was too good to be true. The monitor did seem to run down too slow.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
it references "customer service satisfaction program 10287"
Yep, that's the same as last year.

Regarding the shorter oil change intervals...figures, it was too good to be true. The monitor did seem to run down too slow.
I drive mostly city/suburb with average trips of about 5 miles, and my DIC/OLM oil change intervals have dropped from pre-recall ~13Kmi to post-recall ~5Kmi last summer and ~3Kmi this winter.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
928S said:
Yep, that's the same as last year.

I drive mostly city/suburb with average trips of about 5 miles, and my DIC/OLM oil change intervals have dropped from pre-recall ~13Kmi to post-recall ~5Kmi last summer and ~3Kmi this winter.
Okay, so this is the second tuning that the ECM needs...I'd better get it in next week.

So now only 3k between oil changes? Damn.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
8 Posts
My oil life monitor reset increased rather than decreased the oil change interval.
I went in for my state safty inspection at 1 year on my 2011 cts. I did not know of the recall.
They followed a service update bulletin 11083 that may increase the recommended oil change maximum from 5000 miles to 9300.
But I had 4682 miles and the monitor said 8 % life left. After the update, without an oil change, the monitor reported 100% oil life left, so the update was not done correctly or completely.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Delly said:
My oil life monitor reset increased rather than decreased the oil change interval.
I went in for my state safty inspection at 1 year on my 2011 cts. I did not know of the recall.
They followed a service update bulletin 11083 that may increase the recommended oil change maximum from 5000 miles to 9300.
But I had 4682 miles and the monitor said 8 % life left. After the update, without an oil change, the monitor reported 100% oil life left, so the update was not done correctly or completely.
That's what it sounds like...you should try to get a free oil change for that error.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Delly, they did not reset the oil life monitor to your prior percentage, or to start from 100% if the oil was changed. The did the same thing to me when I had the recall performed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this timing chain even really necessary ?? Are all cts models affected ?? I have a 08 cts DI with around 24000 miles and only bought it 3 months ago. I just recieved a letter from cadillac suggesting I bring it in to be replaced, but not sure if I should or not.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
TonyT805 said:
Is this timing chain even really necessary ?? Are all cts models affected ?? I have a 08 cts DI with around 24000 miles and only bought it 3 months ago. I just recieved a letter from cadillac suggesting I bring it in to be replaced, but not sure if I should or not.
The timing chain is extremely important. If you decline this repair, GM will not cover your timing chain due to premature wear. All they're going to do is reprogram the ECM. Ive had to replace a timing chain before under normal wear and they are expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI
269 Posts
exm22psu said:
Delly, they did not reset the oil life monitor to your prior percentage, or to start from 100% if the oil was changed. The did the same thing to me when I had the recall performed.
Same thing for me. The dealer just forgot to set your oil level to the correct number. DON'T think you now have 100% oil life!

12,778 Posts
Delly et al.,

I'm very sorry to hear about the potential oil life reset problems after your repairs. If any of you wish to send me a private message with your VIN, I would be happy to investigate on your behalf. (And if you do not have PM capabilities, please let me know and I can send you an email instead.)

For those of you who received the bulletin, I would definitely encourage you take your Cadillac in to your dealer for the necessary repairs.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
...They followed a service update bulletin 11083...
Delly, Customer Satisfaction Program TSB #10287 (2007-09 CTS) referenced at the beginning of this thread does NOT include your 2011 CTS. So why did your dealer reprogram your oil life system?

Curious, I just searched the forum and found only one other mention of TSB #11083 (Oil Life Monitor, Reprogram ECM) on 2nd gen SRX board in message #14 here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/228895-service-update-oil-life.html

Anyone else had their 2010+ CTS oil life system reprogrammed?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V Long Roof; '10 CTS Long Roof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4
14,001 Posts
Are these 3.6 engines interference engines?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V Long Roof; '10 CTS Long Roof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4
14,001 Posts
It does appear to be non-interference, but doesn't clearly show if the valves were to be fully extended into the chamber (if the timing chain were to break) and the piston was at its fully extended position what would happen. Tentatively I agree, but I am not sold until I dig some more. I will start another thread. Please post your video in there.

·
Registered
None
2 Posts
From the wording of the recall notice it sounds like these cars are sophisticated enough to sense the wear or "stretch" in the timing chain as the car ages and warn the drive thru the Check Engine Light (CEL) when it is due to be changed. The original calibration must be triggering this CEL and code long before the chain has actually stretched so they are re-calibrating the PCM to not set the code prematurely. My guess is they monitor minor changes in timing between the CPS and cam or some other sensor that would be caused by a warn or stretched timing chain. BTW there is very little chance of a timing chain completely breaking and causing the catastrophic damage possible in a timing belt driven engine.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts