Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2005 CTS w/2.8 liter V6 started throwing check engine lights that would flash for a few seconds, then go off or stay on for a couple of days and go off. OBD codes read "intermittent misfire on cylinders 2, 4, 6". I took the thing to my local Caddy dealer who has diagnosed the thing as needing three new timig chains, along with guides, tensioners, etc, to the tune of $1,350 p & l. They say this was caused by low oil levels although the oil has been changed faithfully with Mobil 1 only and the oil level light never came on. The thing has 73,000 miles on it, which makes it the only GM product I have owned since 1974 that has needed major service before 150,000 miles. Intermittent flashing lights don't spell mechanical problems to me, they say electronics. Anybody ever heard of a problem like this?

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
You wrote: "the oil has been changed faithfully with Mobil 1 only and the oil level light never came on."

Does that mean you seldom or never pulled out the dipstick yourself to check the level?

Historically, the oil light on car dash's only come on when its nearly too late to save your engine, so relying on that is a BAD idea.

How many miles between your "faithful" oil changes and has your oil changer ever told you that you were low on oil before the change?

Some of these engines will burn a quart of oil in 1200 miles and some won't burn hardly any. Someone here wrote "GM says 1000+ miles to a quart is normal for this engine".

So, if your oil was low for any length of time then ya, you could need timing chain, etc.

Good Luck with this...

·
Registered
2005 cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, this is my wife's vehicle and I admittedly don't check the fluid levels as often as I should. However, on a car with all the computerized displays this thing has, not to mention idiot lights (oil can light for low oil level according to owner's manual), I would expect some notice prior to the oil getting low enough to damage the engine. The thing does not smoke on startup, no oil spots on the garage floor, last oil change about 4k miles. Where the heck did all that oil go? BTW, there is nothing in the manual about the thing using a quart every 1200 miles, even if it is a DOHC quasi-racecar engine. I guess I've just been spoiled into relying on dashboard displays too much in these days of oil life monitors and computer readouts. (I know, the OLM doesn't have anything to do with levels, but I have never owned a car that would let the oil level get below the dipstick without giving some notice.) My guess is that the level sensor in the oil sump is bad, but the dealership says they have no way to tell without dropping the pan and pulling the sensor.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2004 3.6L
68 Posts
Intermittent flashing lights don't spell mechanical problems to me, they say electronics. Anybody ever heard of a problem like this?
On those engine, a lot of time you got code for the camshaft actuator corolation and its because of the timing chain that begin to be loose. I'm not surprise i think at our dealer, we have done all the cts and srx with 2.8l and 3.6l engine...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts