Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2007 cadillac cts rain out od gas one day and called someone to rescue me. Once I put gas in my car I tried turning it on and it acted as if it turned but would not start. It gave it a long turn but no start at all. I added more gas, and still nothing. My personal mechanic mentioned to me that it might be the timing chain. Anyone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
395 Posts
Probably burned out the fuel pump. On a modern fuel injection car the pump in the tank is cooled by the fuel. If left high and dry it can burn out or could send particles into the fuel system and clog the filter and possibly the fuel injectors themselves.

Steve

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
Turn the key to the start position but without starting and see if you can hear the fuel pump turn on. Do that three or four times and then try and start the car. You may have to have someone listen underneath the car to hear the pump turning on.

Roy

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,246 Posts
Concur with Steve and Roy above. It's highly unlikely that your timing chains suddenly developed a problem that prevents the car from starting at the exact same time you ran out of gas. It's much more likely that this is a fuel pump issue.

I wouldn't expect the fuel pump to die just because you ran out of gas. It's possible, but I don't think it's that likely. As Roy said, see if you can hear the pump running, and prime the system a few times to ensure the fuel rails at the engine have sufficient pressure to get the engine running.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
878 Posts
I agree that it probably was NOT the timing chain. More likely you may not have totally run out of gas. The fuel pump may have just quit, or maybe the lack of gasoline flow may have facilitated the failure of the pump. Did you have the mechanic actually diagnose or just guess?

·
Registered
2004 CTS - 245K
261 Posts
If the fuel pump checks out be sure to check the crankshaft position sensor. That part cost me a lot of time and effort to track stuff down just to replace the little guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I self diagnosed it, just like I do me lol.. I'm going to try that method hopefully that's the issue. If only we can download a video to show y'all what it's doing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fuel pumps often go out after running out of fuel or shortly thereafter. GM's are far worse than fords on this but only older ones. The newer fords are not as good as old ones. You could run those until they die every fill-up and the pump would outlast the car up until around 1998 models esp the panther chassis.

We used to joke that if you ran a GM out of gas once you might get by...but do it twice and you'd be putting a new pump in it in a under 2 weeks.
Seen this a good number of times.

There is also a fuel pump fuse and relay. I think an 07 has removable relay. You can open fuel cap and listen as someone turn key to on but not cranking to see if you hear it spin up for 1.5 seconds.

I have even gotten under them and banged on the bottom of tank as someone turns key on and off and gotten them to come on and get me home.

When this happens...MMO (Marvel's Mystery Oil) additive is the key to lubing them and trying to keep them working.
Did this to a 1988 Regal in early 2000s after gettting stranded and it worked great for 2 years afterwards.

You can if fuel rail under hood has a pressure fitting on it. If so you can depress it to see if fuel shoots out when key it turned on.
Then you can take a spray bottle and put a little gas in it and pop off the rubber intake snorkel and spray some gas into engine as see if it runs that way.
If all else is ok, but pump is bad, you can stand there and run it all day as long as you keep spraying fuel in. Lol
Hard to drive that way though but I've done that too.

Man!!! If we had phones for pics and videos back then!!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Fuel pumps and almost anything else can fail after a car is over 10 years old or has 100K miles on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fuel pumps and almost anything else can fail after a car is over 10 years old or has 100K miles on it.
They certainly can but GMs don't have the track record the full size fords do.
Have owned dozens of Town Cars and a few SUVs that all were 15-20 years old and some over 250K with original pumps. Fords had an AWESOME pump up until 1997. In 98 they started getting a little less durable.

I just put a pump in my friends Yukon 2-3 years ago. It's a 2000-2002 with approx150K so not too bad.

·
Registered
878 Posts
For my first 20 years of car ownership, I never had to replace a transmission on a car. And I keep my cars for 120K to 200K miles. About 10 years ago a transmission guy told me that all cars including GM, Ford, Honda and Toyotas , you would be lucky to get 80K miles out of it if you drive it everyday in city and suburban traffic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For my first 20 years of car ownership, I never had to replace a transmission on a car. And I keep my cars for 120K to 200K miles. About 10 years ago a transmission guy told me that all cars including GM, Ford, Honda and Toyotas , you would be lucky to get 80K miles out of it if you drive it everyday in city and suburban traffic.
He was certainly wrong. Transmissions got better over time. Up until about early to mid 90s many/most cars (except Honda and Toyota lol) typically would need a transmission rebuild by 120-150 sometimes sooner.
A lot of them got better and up until at least 2008 or so, many were going 250k or more on original trans.
I have feared for a while that these 6 and 10 speed ones will fail in more ways and more often.
GM has had plenty of issues though with their 4l60 and others that should be bulletproof by now but not even close.
Saddens me to see what im-perfection they get by with making.
But I'm a pessimistic complainer...but a realist.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I would certainly like to believe that transmissions in general have been getting better. All my more recent cars have had transmission failures between 80K and 150K miles. My research into one car, found that GM, in its attempt to lighten up and make the components lighter, provided a lighter gage wave plate which literally disintegrates with heavy use. I was told that the part alone cost under $2.00. I cannot personally disprove that. Of course, the designs are generally by another automotive engineer who sells the designs to the manufacturers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts