Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
There was a recall on some years of the Catera for several components behind the timing cover.
A GM dealer would need to check your VIN for eligability. It's possible that it would be a covered repair.
General Motors has decided that certain 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001 Cadillac Catera model vehicles equipped with 3.0L (RPO L81 - VIN Code R) V6 engines may exhibit a condition in which the cam drive timing belt idler pulleys and tensioner pulley and water pump may fail. This may result in engine failure and a "walk home" condition.
If the timing belt fails on a Catera for ANY reason, it causes internal engine damage. Sometimes you can get by just rebuilding the heads, sometimes the pistons break apart. The only way to definitely know the extent of the damage is to disassemble the engine.

HTH

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,038 Posts
All true as far as I know.
There is a "reworked" version in the CTS but Cadi is phasing it out in favor of their new VVT 3.6 Liter V6. Which so far has proven to be pretty reliable!
(at least as far as I know)
I have only seen 2 getting any real mechanical work done to them so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.