Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Timing? 97 Northstar

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
I had code p0340 pop up so I changed the CMP and both CKP's. Engine still idles rough though when I get it up to speed it seems to go away. Reading the forums I see that it is supposed to have a "relearn" procedure performed. I take it to a Chevy dealer (mistake) he tells me there is no relearn procedure for a 97. Is this true? If no relearn procedure how hard is it to time the N*'s?

#2 ·
Always list code definitions along with codes.

P0340 - CMP sensor circuit

Was the engine running rough before the code was set?
Is the code still current?
Any other codes?

Timing is controlled by the PCM and not adjustable.

There is a relearn for the CKPs, but it's almost never necessary. If there was an issue you'd be getting a related code.

#5 ·
Took to Cadillac dealership they had it for 3 days diagnosing.
1st they thought it was ignition module, put new one on did not work. No charge.
2nd PCM, new one on did not work. No charge.
3rd diagnosed timing issue. Remove engine and fix. $2,200.00
So this is the summary: Chevrolet dealership fixed head gaskets in January 2013 but put it back together wrong. Little lady I bought it from went to a nursing home in March of 2013, the car sent her over the edge!
Dealership in Springfield, MO. took great care of us and I am really impressed by their dedication, would highly recommend them to anyone in need. While they had it out they checked everything over and gave it a clean bill of health. 96,000 on it and the journey begins.
Thanks to all that helped out.

#8 ·
If the cams and/or timing was "reversed" you would have certain mechanical mayhem. Something's not right, though.

The RE sprocket also has the pulse trigger button for the CMP hall effect sensor - timing and rotation TDC reference.

RE, RI, LE, LI - Right/Left Exhaust/Intake sprockets.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.