Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of a 97 deville head gasket redo, and a friend at church posed an interesting scenario to me. He is claiming that he has repaired head gaskets on the northstar in the car by pulling the heads, using some sort of thread tool to rethread the block holes (not timeserting or any other kind of insert, just a rethread tool, I am prsuming some sort of tap kit) and buying oversized head bolts to fit the new threads. I do not have all of the technical info as to the size of the bolts etc. But does this even sound like it would work? He is ASE certified and claims he has done it before. Anyone ever tried it?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
I'd stick with the factory recommended repair (Timesert).

D

·
0 Posts
I am in the process of a 97 deville head gasket redo, and a friend at church posed an interesting scenario to me. He is claiming that he has repaired head gaskets on the northstar in the car by pulling the heads, using some sort of thread tool to rethread the block holes (not timeserting or any other kind of insert, just a rethread tool, I am prsuming some sort of tap kit) and buying oversized head bolts to fit the new threads. I do not have all of the technical info as to the size of the bolts etc. But does this even sound like it would work? He is ASE certified and claims he has done it before. Anyone ever tried it?
Well being a church friend and all, perhaps he knows how to make small holes into big ones by sticking a bigger bolt in them. Maybe.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
It could be done as the timesert goes into a bigger thread that you cut with the kit. I'm not sure if the holes through the head are big enough but they could easily be drilled a little bigger.

You'd have to get a similar thread to get a similar clamping force.

Sure it can be done, because the timesert kit is available it hasn't been done (at least not talked about) but it is feasible. :stirpot:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The bolts, the head gasket, and the Timeserts are all a very tightly integrated system. The clamping force, the compression of the head gasket, and the esasticity of the bolts all come into play. Oversized bolts in this case are what we call a Joe McGee repair. All brute force and awkwardness. It'll work for a while but it's not to be depended on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts