Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Eldorado 1995 ETC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 ETC unfortunately developed a leak in the radiator (from other posts I sense this to be a very common problem). I appears the hard plastic on the side cracked. I bought a new radiator on e-Bay a while back, not sure of which brand. I plan to replace it in the weekend. I did buy anti-freeze (the green stuff), pellets and distilled water. I also browsed the service manual and it does not say much. Is this a straight-forward DIY job? Do I need any special tools? The hoses all look ok. Should I replace them anyway (being in Denmark with few dealers and no GMPartsDirect, or RockAuto, and the like that will probably cost me quite a lot at the local dealer). I think the water pump works fine, should I replace it now I am working on the cooling system? I have a new spare pump, the removal tool and gaskets. Anything else I should think about? Depending on the extent of the operation how long time should it take me? Thanks for any advice or pointers.

Best regards Henrik

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
It's a pretty straight forward job. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery cable because you're going to need to move an airbag sensor. Other than that, I found a metal yardstick comes in handy when you're trying to take the hooks from the condenser core out of the loops on the radiator. Everything you remove will be either 13mm or 10mm.

·
Registered
Eldorado 1995 ETC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for a quick reply from Hawaii, I appreciate it. I will report back either when done or in case of problems. Thanks again.

Best regards Henrik

·
Registered
Eldorado 1995 ETC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I won't replace the water pump but rather save it for later. It should be a quick fix anyway, I think. Thanks for the reply Ranger.

·
Registered
Eldorado 1995 ETC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Operation radiator replacement has started. I have now removed the air cleaner assembly, upper and lower radiator hoses (very little coolant came out at this stage, and it was topped off?). I then removed the triangular metal supports (L/R) in both sides, the plastic headlamp covers, and the big black radiator core plastic cover just below that. I also moved the engine support torque struts out of the way (L/R). I then removed the 4 bolts securing the cooling fans. I removed the two bolts and washers securing the black box protruding toward the engine above the radiator (not sure what that is). I also removed the front outside temperature sensor out of the way. So far so good.

I have a couple of questions that one of you may know the answer to:

Q1) How do you remove the cooling fan electrical connectors? Not much room to work, and I don't want to brake anything. I assume that once the connectors are loose and the bolts gone I can simply lift the cooling fans out of the way?
Q2) The black box (again not sure of function) mentioned above appears to be pretty stuck (I removed the 4 bolts). Do I need to remove it and how?
Q3) How do I get the rest of the coolant out?

As always thanks for any help?

Best regards Henrik

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
There is a drain under the driver side to drain the coolant. The other option is to drain it after you pull it. Can't help on the other questions as I've never had one need replacing yet.

·
Registered
Eldorado 1995 ETC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ranger, I now managed to get the radiator replaced, before putting everything back together. You need to be a very trained mechanic or have very small hands to not hurt yourself doing this. I think the black box I was talking about in my previous post has something to do with the airbag. The side tanks in the radiator have connections from both the transmission and the engine (passenger side). It appears I have fixed the coolant leak but now it is leaking oil from the lower line from the engine. Never a dull day! I think I will wait til tomorrow before dismantling again, the connection is not very accesible, I wonder if there is an o-ring missing or misplaced. Anybody with experience in this area, please chime in? The service manual is of limited use, and do not go into such detail. I took a picture of the old radiator to show the long crack that had developed in the plactic. If I can figure out how to upload it Í can show you how bad it was. I need a beer now, even though I don't really deserve one!

:shiner:

Best regards Henrik

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
The black box you described was the airbag sensor. The passenger side fan is easy to unplug and it just lifts straight up. The drivers side fan however is a pain in the butt. You have to have a very skinny screwdriver to stick in the end and lift the tab. Then to remove that fan you have to have the radiator hoses disconnected as well as the upper transmission cooler line, and the fan pulls out from the drivers side area.

Is the lower oil cooler line leaking from the fitting where it hooks up to the radiator or is it leaking from the end going into the oil filter adapter? The fitting going to the radiator has a plastic "quick connect" thing on it. Sometimes it gets brittle and when you mess with it, the line will leak there. The quick connect should be pretty cheap at the dealership, I think anyway.

When you get to it, the waterpump requires a special tool to replace. Also it screws only about 1/4 turn clockwise to take it out.

·
Registered
Eldorado 1995 ETC
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tightening a few nuts brought my ETC back in business. Not sure, but maybe the first radiator lasted since new, so hopefully I won't have to replace this one before 2023.

:lies:

The N* cooling system is pretty amazing, I counted at least 5 different cooling circuits (one for coolant - radiator, engine oil - radiator passenger side tank, transmission oil - radiator driver side tank, external cooling unit - engine oil?, external cooling unit - power steering).

While I had the hood open, I decided to change oil, filter and recharge the A/C. So hopefully I won't have to pop the hood again this summer.

:lies:

Best regards Henrik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts