Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had 4 new tires put on Cecil the other day. As soon as the rear tires came of, my mechanic commented, "Yep, typical GM rear brakes". The rotors are rusted, pads are ok, terrible noise 50% of the time when brakes are applied. He, off the top of his head, estimated $350 to replace both sides. He will probably use local parts, ex. NAPA. Looked up parts myself, brakes are easy, going to cost about $300 if I do them. Calipers, rotors, pads.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Is there a question? Rotors can be turned for under 10 a side. If calipers aren't bad leave them as factory are better than aftermarket. Grease the slide pins so they apply pressure evenly. You should be able to get out for under 50 for rear brakes in parts. Consider ceramic pads, i switched couple months ago and am quite satisfied so far.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,108 Posts
Is there a question? Rotors can be turned for under 10 a side. If calipers aren't bad leave them as factory are better than aftermarket. Grease the slide pins so they apply pressure evenly. You should be able to get out for under 50 for rear brakes in parts. Consider ceramic pads, i switched couple months ago and am quite satisfied so far.
----------------------------------------:yeah:
and start using the parking brake - REGULARLY -
you'll never have a rear brake problem again -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,723 Posts
............. and remember that the rear caliper pistons screw back into the caliper - do NOT force them with clamps or hammers. The caliper includes a piston ratchet that keeps proper tension on the parking brake cables - use a brake cube or needlenose to screw the piston in and align the pattern on the face with the new pads.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,723 Posts
"brake cube" - uses a 3/8 socket drive, fits a slew of ratcheting caliper pistons ........... any large parts store, NAPA. $7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts