Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac Fleetwood 4.1 v8
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've done pretty much everything I can to my caddy to get the oil problem fixed, but I think it's time that I seriously consider there being a problem with the cam shaft. I put a new pump and oil sending unit in it hoping that it would fix the problem but I'm still not getting oil to the top of my engine. Any suggestions as to what else to do before I pull it would be great, I really hope that pulling it will fix it because I really like this car....

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
How do you know your not getting oil to the top it doesn't squirt everywhere like a chevy you really have to look for it. Our you using 10-30 or thicker oil?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the driver side valve cover off, I'm seeing no oil come out of the push rods after 2 mins of it running, the clacking from the rockers is very loud too.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Shouldn't cost more to at least go 307 then fix whatever is wrong with the 4.1 especially now that the top has been oil starved.

·
Registered
Cadillac Brougham 1990 RWD
42 Posts
Did u clean oil Channel, Did se somewhere They where bild small and hard to see and hard to clean.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
I'm swapping out the 4100 in my Coupe, with an Olds 307, and it isn't as expensive as I thought it would be. I got a donor car for $700 and found a local garage who will do the swap for $1,200, so after scrapping the donor car I'm probably looking at around $1,500.

$1,500 is exactly cheap, but you can spend more than that on a set of good tires and some brakes, and still have a car that don't run

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the 307 a straight swap or? And I'm doubting all of my electronics will carry over to the new engine, right?

·
Registered
83 FWB d'Elegance, 83 CDV, 83 FWB, 74 Lincoln Mark IV
449 Posts
Repair that 4.1, it's the easiest and cheapest way.
With the 307 you have to modify all connections, exhaust, complete wiring.... no electronics will work and so on. There is no benefit when the 4.1 isn't totally done.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
^ Read this man's project thread and you'll see how to revive the 4.1.

While I wouldn't want a 4.1 in my car, seeing the magic he has performed with his is something to respect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've read a good portion of his posts on his car, he has done a great job of working on his caddy. I'm just not much of a mechanic. I've stumbled my way this far, sooner or later my luck is going to run out and I'll end up destroying the engine beyond repair.

I didn't see any build up anywhere that I could actually see into when I was down under the car, what do you mean by priming the pump? Like putting oil in it before I put it on? I put a little in it but not a lot. I thought oiling up the gears would be a good thing lol.

----------

Oh, and Grauhst, my 83 Cadillac Fleetwood looks identical to yours, even the brownish paint and the chocolate interior. I am lucky that the interior needs almost zero work and that most of the car functions great. Heck, after installing my new distributor the engine starts up like it's a new car, I just don't have any oil lubricating the engine....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so exactly how does oil get to the top? I was under the impression that oil was pumped through the push rods to the top, I was informed that I'm wrong however I wasn't given an explanation.

·
Registered
83 FWB d'Elegance, 83 CDV, 83 FWB, 74 Lincoln Mark IV
449 Posts
@ Shadegt,
that sounds great, could you show some pics of your car?

yes you're right, the oil is pumped through the pushrods.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking there may be a blockage in the line somewhere, what's the easiest way to clear them out short of pulling the block apart?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts