Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past week or so, with all the new members we have every week (twice as many as the week before) I noticed that the site is becoming very slow. Maybe we should start finding sponsors for member discounts, and charge for full membership to help the site out. I'd pay $40 a year for it. And then this money can go back into the site to expand it and make it better.
 

·
...Reloaded
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
In the past week or so, with all the new members we have every week (twice as many as the week before) I noticed that the site is becoming very slow. Maybe we should start finding sponsors for member discounts, and charge for full membership to help the site out. I'd pay $40 a year for it. And then this money can go back into the site to expand it and make it better.
With Sal gone out of town to pick up his new Caddy, I'll try to answer this. There are several factors which contribute to the site slowing down. The growth of the Board has been phenomenal - well over two thousand members in nine months. And the rate of growth is accelerating, due to Search Engine exposure as well as word of mouth, links, etc.. Sal did not expect the expansion to be so rapid - we have already maxed out our current hosting service. Lots of active members means we need a better server and more bandwidth which costs money. The ads on the site now will help some, but they also use up more resources so until we upgrade hosts, they slow us down a bit. So does the recent change in the cookie timout from 15 to 30 minutes. This was requested for member convenience, and also makes our "online" numbers higher. The downside is, a greater number of member "sessions" are kept open on the server, which takes up resources.

So, the bottom line is we need to help Sal to get this site to generate more money to offset the cost of upgrading to a better hosting service with a better server and more bandwidth. This requires money up front as well as an ongoing monthly charge. Members can help by signing up for a "Supporting Membership" (click the link in my signature below), by purchasing the CadillacForums Plate Frames, by supporting the "Supporting Vendors", or simply by clicking on the ads on the Site. We are open to suggestions regarding other ways to raise operating funds if anyone has some ideas. AKPsiMC03, what exactly do you mean by "member discounts" and "full membership" in your post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a former member of the Thunderbird and Cougar Club of America (www.tccoa.com). For $40 a year you could purchase a full membership. This membership would get you a a kit which included window stickers for your car, business cards, and flyers to hand out to people.

But the most important thing was, you had access to the members only section of the site and there were about a dozzen companies who offered discounts on products and services for the members cars. Some of the companies were shox.com, ADDCO suspensions, Zex nitrous, and Five Star Ford for facotry parts, as well as many other companies.

I feel that if you can find vendors like this you may be able to get many people to pay for a membership to get these discounts. If you want more information on how to do it, go over to www.tccoa.com and look around. If you need to talk to someone about it, you can email the president of the club, Sir William, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to lead you in the right direction. He's a very nice guy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
As far as the supporting member thing goes... I clicked on a "clicky" and signed up for something. I still don't show as a supporting member though. :confused:

And I did it to get rid of the ads, as another thread had mentioned... Well that didn't work... :rolleyes:
 

·
...Reloaded
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
As far as the supporting member thing goes... I clicked on a "clicky" and signed up for something. I still don't show as a supporting member though. :confused:
Hmm - you don't show up as a "Supporting Member". What did you sign up for?? Several other peeps have signed up and it worked fine. Anyhow, when Sal gets back I'm sure he can make it right.
And I did it to get rid of the ads, as another thread had mentioned... Well that didn't work... :rolleyes
Well, the ads will go away for "Supporting Members" as soon as Sal gets the proper coding for that feature...he's working on it. As of now, "Supporting Members" still see the ads. Many of the code modifications which worked on vBulletin 2.X.X do not work on vBulletin 3...yet.
 

·
...Reloaded
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
I'm a former member of the Thunderbird and Cougar Club of America (www.tccoa.com). For $40 a year you could purchase a full membership. This membership would get you a a kit which included window stickers for your car, business cards, and flyers to hand out to people.

But the most important thing was, you had access to the members only section of the site and there were about a dozzen companies who offered discounts on products and services for the members cars. Some of the companies were shox.com, ADDCO suspensions, Zex nitrous, and Five Star Ford for facotry parts, as well as many other companies.

I feel that if you can find vendors like this you may be able to get many people to pay for a membership to get these discounts. If you want more information on how to do it, go over to www.tccoa.com and look around. If you need to talk to someone about it, you can email the president of the club, Sir William, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to lead you in the right direction. He's a very nice guy.
When Sal gets back we can talk about something like this. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
It's a website! And...it seems to me that all you guys do here is beat each other up over B.S. I've seen a lot of childish stuff like the extrodinarily stupid FWD/RWD debate that is beyond idiocy. If you start charging for it and the overall quality doesn't improve I'll be gone and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of others would too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
True, it's a website. While I'm not saying I agree with charging for it, there does need to be some way to offset costs for Sal.
PP, you just joined recently, but you speak as though you have been here longer than your membership date suggests. It's just odd for a new guy to crab about things that happened a while ago.
 

·
...Reloaded
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
P.P. said:
It's a website!
Uh huh...?
And...it seems to me that all you guys do here is beat each other up over B.S. I've seen a lot of childish stuff like the extrodinarily stupid FWD/RWD debate that is beyond idiocy.
Really - that's all we do here?
If you start charging for it and the overall quality doesn't improve I'll be gone and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of others would too.
There is no contemplation of a fee to use this site. We are talking about ways to raise money to offset the ongoing cost of maintaining and improving the CadillacForums without resorting to "charging for it". As far as the quality goes, we are what our members make us. You have to remember the difference in demographics between the majority of Cadillac owners and the majority of people using Bulletin Boards on the Internet. They're very different, and it means we have, and will continue to have, a great diversity of knowledge, experience, maturity, and commitment. One thing we should try to do is confine the B.S. as you put it to the General areas like the Lounge and keep the Vehicle areas semi-serious and the Technical sections very serious. That's the job of the Administrator and Moderators but we do appreciate your interest in keeping us honest.

BTW - interesting avatar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
True, it's a website. While I'm not saying I agree with charging for it, there does need to be some way to offset costs for Sal.
PP, you just joined recently, but you speak as though you have been here longer than your membership date suggests. It's just odd for a new guy to crab about things that happened a while ago.


I have been coming to the site since June.One of the predominant problems that I see is The near constant arguing over more or less dumb points. I've spent quite a bit of time reading the earlier posts and looking for tech content. There are some good posts and some kind of not so good posts but the overall feeling that I get is a kind of elitism that overpowers the good content. It makes the site a little tedious at times because in order to get at good info you have to weed through a lot of worthless haggling. I'm not trying to be hostile here but it is probably a point worth taking a look at. Otherwise I think the site has a lot of potential. The moderators here should stop the bickering a little faster than they do and should absolutley not participate in it in any way. To participate in it is to condone it and that's a bad policy that will lead to the further downward slide of the quality of the site in my opinion. On the bright side though there has been an improvement in recent months from what I've read so maybe theres some light at the end of the tunnel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
I tend to agree the site has gone downwards recently..........too much repetition, too little involvement in many of the forums. Very few people doing new mods to their cars....mostly become a troubleshooting forum and that exists elsewhere. The arguments have also gotten silly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Sandman... I signed up for Netflix.

As far as the silly arguments, I think they have pretty much dissappeared. Thank goodness. And I just think the whole, foss-doss-soss thing is pretty funny. And I think that's all it's intended to be... :rolleyes:
 

·
...Reloaded
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Sandman... I signed up for Netflix.
To get rid of the ads (when this is implemeted which should be soon), you need to click the Supporting Member Link (there's one in my signature). When you do it right your screen name will turn red. What you did is different - you bought something from one of our advertisers - what did you get?
As far as the silly arguments, I think they have pretty much dissappeared. Thank goodness. And I just think the whole, foss-doss-soss thing is pretty funny. And I think that's all it's intended to be... :rolleyes:
Yeah, I agree 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Netflix is cool. Been a member for a yr now. Just be careful......the postman knows that there be movies too.
 

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
Joined
·
9,575 Posts
Hey guys.. Unfortunately, with any large family there will be bickering - and lots of it! Even the closest of families have fights over ridiculous things.. Families have DIVIDED over the Mets and Yankees.

Look at what's going on in Northern Ireland or the Middle East, for example.. Human beings will kill each other over beliefs and opinions... Enough said?

Otherwise.. I think the idea about having "full memberships" with access to member discounts and specials deals - is really good. But, need to have more advertisers.. This should definitely happen in time..

For now, supporting vendors and members will help pay for hosting - and as more and more people support the site, hosting will be less of an issue. Plate frames will help spread the word - which can also bring in more supporting vendors and members - and advertisers.

This site IS growing incredibly quickly. I had no idea it would be like this. I wish I started this site years ago. By now everything would be okay. Everything will fall into place in time.

Thank you for the suggestions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
And you were worried. :rolleyes:
I knew in time, the word would get out that we had the ultimate Cadillac site.
I still think we should do more to embrace the CLASSIC Cadillac crowd. That's why I still think it's important to have some sort of ties to the Cadillac/Lasalle Club. Talk about about your respected, legitimate Cadillac groups......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are the people buying the license plate frames supporters too? Or does the site make no money on that?

I'm just asking cus i bought the first one? (well one of the first)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Do you think a cadillac forums plate would look stupid on an infiniti.......
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
10 Participants
elwesso
Top