Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been throughly enjoying my 2004 CTS-V (Plat) here in Atlanta, GA. with 20k total miles. Went thru the stock runflats pretty quick (after 5K miles). Next set of tires were the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and now ready to go shopping for some new treads.

Should I stay with the same F1's or is there another brand you'all recommend? I have seen some posts speaking well of the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Are these runflats and how do they compare?

TIA,

Scott

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V (previously '05 CTS-V), '11 SRX
331 Posts
1000 miles in on the R50 Potenza's...smooth ride and appear to be wearing well (hard to say after only 1K mi). They are run flats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
either...or

Looking for the smoothest and quietest ride, good Summer traction (no need for winter tires in GA), and longevity.

SH

·
Registered
'04 Plat CTS-V
1,774 Posts
Good luck! It seems they are all good and bad! Flip a coin!

I'm sure the V's handling and weight will eat up any tire pretty fast depending on your driving. So far, the GSD3's seem like the best...if you can get round ones!

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
I originally replaced my F1' s with Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions (which are discontinued and I think replaced by the 050A's) and after wearing those out I put on Falken RT-615's. I liked the Bridgestones, good grip, better in rain than the F1's and lasted longer than the F1's. However, when they started getting low on tread they got very VERY loud. So loud in fact that I couldn't dial using OnStar because the drone from the tires was so loud in the cabin.

I love the Falken's and for the price I can't imagine putting anything else on my car.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
124 Posts
I just replaced my tires yesturday on my 2004 CTS-V. The runflats are garbage. It only last me 10000 miles only.Its a waste of money. I got the Riken Raptor 245 45 18. Its made by Michelin. These tires are bad ass. They are highperformance and one of the only ones thats rated AA with a 300 treadwear. My new tires eliminated most of my wheel hop. The car drive much smoother. What a night and day differance.

·
Registered
09' V
404 Posts
My personal opinion is get rid or run flats and buy a spare tire set up. I have falken azenis rt615 and they are awsome. for the price they are, you cant beat it. I will continue to replace with falkens regardless of how long they last. i can tell you they are holding up better then the f1's and handling is incredible. If money isn't an issue, u might want to look into the Michelin ps2. i'v heard nothing but good about them except the price.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
If you do any wet driving you will love the Michelin PS2. :thumbsup:
They have great dry performance and are very comfortable and quiet.
Also, they are amazing in the wet.
They stand up well to track use also.

Falken RT-615 offers the best dry performance you will find in a street tire. :worship:
Only downside is they are loud and rough riding and not the strongest in the wet (deep water).
Probably similar noise and roughness to F1, but with higher dry performance.

There is not much else I would consider besides those tires. :rant2:

I prefer Asymetrical tread designs because they have tougher outside shoulders and allow left to right rotation.

Interestingly F1, PS2 & RT-615 are all Asymetrical and have class leading dry performance.
(F1 bieng the best Run-Flat)

·
Registered
08 Silver CTS AWD
246 Posts
I am on RSA runflats with no complaints. Quiet, decent all weather traction and holding up good so far with about 6000 mi

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
If you do any wet driving you will love the Michelin PS2. :thumbsup:
They have great dry performance and are very comfortable and quiet.
Also, they are amazing in the wet.
They stand up well to track use also.

Falken RT-615 offers the best dry performance you will find in a street tire. :worship:
Only downside is they are loud and rough riding and not the strongest in the wet (deep water).
Probably similar noise and roughness to F1, but with higher dry performance.

There is not much else I would consider besides those tires. :rant2:

I prefer Asymetrical tread designs because they have tougher outside shoulders and allow left to right rotation.

Interestingly F1, PS2 & RT-615 are all Asymetrical and have class leading dry performance.
(F1 bieng the best Run-Flat)

The Michelin PS2 is the best dry or wet street radial on the road today, IMO. It's have aqua-tread and half drag radial as far as I'm concerned. It's also just about the most expensive tire that you can buy ;)

Summary: Michelin PS2 is the benchmark for performance tires. It all comes down to whether or not $450/tire is reasonable for some people.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
The Michelin PS2 is the best dry or wet street radial on the road today, IMO. It's have aqua-tread and half drag radial as far as I'm concerned. It's also just about the most expensive tire that you can buy ;)

Summary: Michelin PS2 is the benchmark for performance tires. It all comes down to whether or not $450/tire is reasonable for some people.
Not to start a pissing match, but the Falken 615s are the most popular tire used for the SCCA SoloII Nationals for "StreetTire" class. It is not just bacause they are cheaper (would you spend a week in Kansas and thousands of dollars to run a lower-performing tire to chance losing a National title???)but offer the BEST dry grip available without going to a street tire. Currently, the '06 Nationals are being run in Topeka (this week) and it's a Falken fest to say the least.

The PS2s are a great dry/rain tire but for all out dry-grip, and pretty good wear I'll add, the Falken Azenis 615s can't be beat. I've run 6K miles on a 475rwhp Maggied C5Z06 with several autoxes and 7x20min sessions at Pocono raceway...hitting 160mph going into South's banked turn...and the tires are not even 50% worn. They allowed me to run with R-compound guys with no problem.

There is no better "non-RCompound" tire available for lateral-gs.

Be good,
ace

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for your recommendations....

I'm leaning towards the Michelin PS2

1) Can anyone provide a link for a place they have purchased from at a good price.

2) Does anybody remember the link to the page here in the CTS-V forum about fitting out spare tire in the trunk. I remember reading that thread over a year ago but can't find it...

TIA,

Scott

·
Registered
09' V
404 Posts
My Falkens are not loud nor are they rough! I'v driven Ps2's so i can say that with confidence. Not worth the price difference in my strong opinion. And they are fine in the rain as long as you arnt trying to do 100mph. Best dry traction, cornering, and wear very well, also look good!

·
Registered
(did) CTS-V
723 Posts
I'm a fan of the BFG KDW's, I had them on a couple of older cars and they worked really well in both rain and when it was dry. Check out some tire sites and you can see that they rate favorably. They arent good for snow, but the tread pattern leaves a lot of room for water to escape. My tires are 25% now, so I'll be getting a set soon. Cant wait to see how they are on the V.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts