Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed. First shop took a look at it and said the impact damaged the frame, just to be sure, i got it towed to another shop, they said the same thing. I decided to sell it to this guy for $375. Now im looking to buy another one in 2 weeks. I would prefer a 1998 or 1999 STS. Its been a roller coaster of a 2 and a half years, but considering other things wrong with the car and that I wanted a STS, I decided to let it go. Im gonna miss the active suspension blue onyx SLS dearly, but its time for me to get another... I dont want a 2000 or newer model, but if the right one shows up, I ll buy it.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
86,165 Posts
Sorry to hear that Rob, this thing has been a lot of problems for you as I recall.
Unless the '98 or '99 you hind has already been inserted or studded, I'd strongly recommend you hold ot for a 2000 or newer. Take your time and search and you'll find a nice one. Good luck.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts
Long story short, I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed. First shop took a look at it and said the impact damaged the frame, just to be sure, i got it towed to another shop, they said the same thing. I decided to sell it to this guy for $375. Now im looking to buy another one in 2 weeks. I would prefer a 1998 or 1999 STS. Its been a roller coaster of a 2 and a half years, but considering other things wrong with the car and that I wanted a STS, I decided to let it go. Im gonna miss the active suspension blue onyx SLS dearly, but its time for me to get another... I dont want a 2000 or newer model, but if the right one shows up, I ll buy it.

===============================
I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed.
I have only one word of advise for you -
UBER

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
97, 98, 99 are the worst Northstar years for cylinder block head bolt hole troubles. Hold out for a good 2001 or later or, as posted, find one that has been professionally inserted/studded.

For the STS, pre-2000 is calibrated for premium 91/93 octane fuels; all 2000 - 2005 Northstars are calibrated to run (and make the same power/torque) on regular 87 octane fuels. No, the 2000 - 2005 PCM will NOT advance timing a bit to take advantage of possible gains from using premium, and premium is not "better" than regular - but it IS different.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I preferred the pre 2000 for the tuning ability, but i even noticed the 2000 and new models runs smoother. I got my eye on an 2001 Pearl white Deville base now with sunroof and also a 1998 STS, also white with sunroof. Im looking to buy my next Cadillac in 2 weeks max.

·
66,638 Posts
Read this for the Northstar head bolt hole thread failures by year. 1998 is dead center of the worst. https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/poll-610-a.html

Forget the tune aspect - intown Chicago you can bounce off curbs equally hard with/without a tune. Just exactly what would a "tune" do for you? How often? How much? Why?

Find either a Deville or Seville, 2000 or later - without sunroof, thereby deleting a common headache - mechanical and water leak sunroof problems. Remember - the VIN 9 and VIN Y cars are very different critters. Know what you're looking at and why.

A set of F45 struts and shocks (already overdue) for a 1998 STS will set you back over $3,000 - if you can find them.

·
18,827 Posts
I preferred the pre 2000 for the tuning ability, but i even noticed the 2000 and new models runs smoother. I got my eye on an 2001 Pearl white Deville base now with sunroof and also a 1998 STS, also white with sunroof. Im looking to buy my next Cadillac in 2 weeks max.

=========================
you will NOT be happy with a BASE model Deville -

what you really should be looking for is a DTS model Deville -

it has the VIN-9 motor/trans - same as the STS -
and it has the FE3/F45 - stiff - electronic suspension you crave - same as the STS -
along with bucket seats and a center console - same as the STS -

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't mind an soft ride 2000+ Deville at all, the only thing i dislike is the column shifter and the digital gauges, but if the right one showed up i wouldn't let that prevent me from buying it. We all know i preferr Sevilles but I would definitely own an Deville with no issue(but it would definitely have to be a 2000 model as i dont like pre 2000 Devilles).

·
18,827 Posts
I wouldn't mind an soft ride 2000+ Deville at all, the only thing i dislike is the column shifter and the digital gauges, but if the right one showed up i wouldn't let that prevent me from buying it. We all know i preferr Sevilles but I would definitely own an Deville with no issue(but it would definitely have to be a 2000 model as i dont like pre 2000 Devilles).

=========================
the only thing i dislike is the column shifter and the digital gauges
pulling out the middle seat - and installing the center console from a DTS is NOT impossible -
BUT - you need some tools and some skills -
Ranger did his DHS - and a couple other members did it to their BASE models -
there are a couple HowTos in the TechTips forum -

------------------

replacing the digital cluster with an analog cluster is definitely doable - ALMOST plug-n-play -

the trick is to find a cluster with similar miles -
mileage IS stored in the cluster and is damn near impossible to change -
it takes a specialty shop - and a note from God -

the other possible hick-up would be the model/year the cluster comes from -

a DHS model and SLS model do not have active suspension -
a DTS modes and STS model DO have the active suspension -

another point would be the year of the donor -
pre 2002 the Deville and Seville did NOT have the TPM - Tire Pressure Monitor system -

SO - if you put a 2002 and later DTS/STS analog cluster into a 2001 BASE Deville -
you WILL get suspension system error messages and TPM error messages -
EVERY TIME you turn the key on - and your speed will be limited to 90 -

the FIX is very easy - use a TECH2 scanner and change the YEAR of cluster AND from a DTS/STS to a DHS -
it only takes a few minutes -

OR - find a 2000/2001 DHS/SLS cluster -

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im willing to travel maybe around 70ish miles away from the city, and im hoping i can find one for around 2500. Im considering fixer uppers too if the price is right as long is there are no head gasket or transmission issues. So far i see a few ones

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If I were you, I would try to search Florida and get something shipped to you. I've heard of a lot of people getting low mile Sevilles and Devilles down there for a song. Like online classifieds and Craigslist. Older people pass away and their kids just try to unload the cars.

·
66,638 Posts
Posting your e-mail in a huge worldwide website is guaranteed to get you far, far more feedback - scams and spam - than you ever imagined in your wildest dreams. We have over 265,000 members and there are 355 members and 3,211 "guests" in here right now.

You might want to reconsider/edit your post, hang around a while (a week and 5 approved posts) and then post a PM to the prospective buyer.

Welcome to CF !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts