Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 14313 Posts

·
5,826 Posts
Re: Forum Pet Peeves

kimcheejeegae said:
Here's my pet peeve.

THE FORUM IS SLOW! =)

Oh.. and I renewed my SUPPORTING MEMBER and paid for another 6 months... but my account got reversed.. so even though I paid... I guess I'm not a support member. =(
Send 'Administrator' a PM with your problem, he will fix it shortly thereafter.

·
5,826 Posts

kimcheejeegae said:
Here's my pet peeve.

THE FORUM IS SLOW! =)

Oh.. and I renewed my SUPPORTING MEMBER and paid for another 6 months... but my account got reversed.. so even though I paid... I guess I'm not a support member. =(
Send 'Administrator' a PM with your problem, he will fix it shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Failure to use the search feature

Narrow minded outlook on life of some posters

Constant complaining of failed parts like the rear end after installing a supercharger or other go fast goodies (no, I am not saying the weak rear end is fine, but if you know it's weak and you increase your power output, don't come here to whine when it breaks . . .)

Ok, that last isn't quite all that accurate. I guess the pet peeve is complaining about EVERYTHING about the car. It's tiring.

Still, all in all a great place.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Failure to use the search feature

Narrow minded outlook on life of some posters

Constant complaining of failed parts like the rear end after installing a supercharger or other go fast goodies (no, I am not saying the weak rear end is fine, but if you know it's weak and you increase your power output, don't come here to whine when it breaks . . .)

Ok, that last isn't quite all that accurate. I guess the pet peeve is complaining about EVERYTHING about the car. It's tiring.

Still, all in all a great place.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Poor titles on a thread.

The thread title should tell me the content of the thread so that I can read or skip!!

·
Registered
155 Posts

Poor titles on a thread.

The thread title should tell me the content of the thread so that I can read or skip!!

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts

Joey,
Let me start by saying I (we) appreciate your feedback. Its nice to hear what people think. We will try to be accomodating. However, let me try to explain.

Many of things that bother you ALSO bother us as well. I will give you my PERSONAL (not the mods, but my personal) opinion on the issues you raised:

1. I agree.. You as the forum posters can affect this. Brigining the issue to light here may help. DONT hijack threads.

2. Locked Threads: Those threads that you linked to are a waste of space.
1. Has been covered a 100 times before
2. Is just a waste of space
3. Has nothing to do with the V

These threads take up space for peopel talking about the V. This place is for talking about the V. There is a lounge (which many V owners do not take advantage of) where you can talk about everything you want to talk about. Here (in this section of the forum) conversation should be limtied to the V. We, as moderators have let ALOT of stuff slip by int he past because it does have SOME realtion to the V. But those REALLY off topic threads take up space and may bump an actual worthwhile thread related to the V. They are locked so they cannot bump anythign else. Personally, I hate seeing a thread has been responded to, opening it, and finding its 1- non v related, and 2- someone responded with "cool" or a smiley face and THATS all... Thats annoying to me.. Yes the viper going off the cliff sucked. I dont need everyone's opinon on why it sucked.

3. Morphing is meant to reduce DUPLICATE information. So, when someone new does a search on UUC they dont find 100 different threads on the same issue... Would you rather we close the thread and link the the "master" thread with the worthwhile discussion? Put yourself in our shoes.

4. Wo are you talking about? Who is a mod and a distributor? Me?

5. All of the things you are complaining about above are meant to try to keep this clean and keep newbies from posting the same question million times. If we close it, you get mad, if we merge it, you get mad. What is the solution?

As always, I am ALWAYS willing to accept e-mails or PMs when someone feels that something has been modded incorrectly. People who e-mail me or PM me (or the other mods) usually get the response they want. We are reasonble people.

And to V-series Tech's point. Sorry if there are mis- spellings above.. I type fast..

Reed
[email protected]

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts

Joey,
Let me start by saying I (we) appreciate your feedback. Its nice to hear what people think. We will try to be accomodating. However, let me try to explain.

Many of things that bother you ALSO bother us as well. I will give you my PERSONAL (not the mods, but my personal) opinion on the issues you raised:

1. I agree.. You as the forum posters can affect this. Brigining the issue to light here may help. DONT hijack threads.

These threads take up space for peopel talking about the V. This place is for talking about the V. There is a lounge (which many V owners do not take advantage of) where you can talk about everything you want to talk about. Here (in this section of the forum) conversation should be limtied to the V. We, as moderators have let ALOT of stuff slip by int he past because it does have SOME realtion to the V. But those REALLY off topic threads take up space and may bump an actual worthwhile thread related to the V. They are locked so they cannot bump anythign else. Personally, I hate seeing a thread has been responded to, opening it, and finding its 1- non v related, and 2- someone responded with "cool" or a smiley face and THATS all... Thats annoying to me.. Yes the viper going off the cliff sucked. I dont need everyone's opinon on why it sucked.

3. Morphing is meant to reduce DUPLICATE information. So, when someone new does a search on UUC they dont find 100 different threads on the same issue... Would you rather we close the thread and link the the "master" thread with the worthwhile discussion? Put yourself in our shoes.

5. All of the things you are complaining about above are meant to try to keep this clean and keep newbies from posting the same question million times. If we close it, you get mad, if we merge it, you get mad. What is the solution?

As always, I am ALWAYS willing to accept e-mails or PMs when someone feels that something has been modded incorrectly. People who e-mail me or PM me (or the other mods) usually get the response they want. We are reasonble people.

And to V-series Tech's point. Sorry if there are mis- spellings above.. I type fast..

Reed
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

The forum is sometimes slow-People that scream hijack to often-Locking threads due to same old questions,I read them anyway.If you don't allow people to post new threads and ask the same questions how do you get to know them?

·
Registered
4,750 Posts

The forum is sometimes slow-People that scream hijack to often-Locking threads due to same old questions,I read them anyway.If you don't allow people to post new threads and ask the same questions how do you get to know them?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Not trying to stir anything but, i understand the purpose of the search function and why some of you desire that it's used first. If that were the case and everyone used it first, you wouldn't have much of a forum now. There is some new info that comes out like 'kill Stories" something GM is up to. Lighten up a bit and keep educating the new folks here. The best thing about this forum are our own residents experts. Sure you can search for your answer but that's not going to happen 40% of the time. That's like telling a V driver to go slow and don't mod.

Good forum and thanks to all supporting members, moderators and support vendors.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Not trying to stir anything but, i understand the purpose of the search function and why some of you desire that it's used first. If that were the case and everyone used it first, you wouldn't have much of a forum now. There is some new info that comes out like 'kill Stories" something GM is up to. Lighten up a bit and keep educating the new folks here. The best thing about this forum are our own residents experts. Sure you can search for your answer but that's not going to happen 40% of the time. That's like telling a V driver to go slow and don't mod.

Good forum and thanks to all supporting members, moderators and support vendors.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts

I agree with Reed. It's a very unrewarding job and pays nothing. It's a catch 22, damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've had good luck with the Moderators and with Sal C. If I thought the Mod . was wrong in closing a thread I'd PM them and if I had a good case they re-opened it. If someone is mis-behaving or the conversation has gone South and off topic I've pointed out to the Mods as they can't be everywhere or be all things to all people. Anyway they usually always took care of it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22,415 Posts

I agree with Reed. It's a very unrewarding job and pays nothing. It's a catch 22, damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've had good luck with the Moderators and with Sal C. If I thought the Mod . was wrong in closing a thread I'd PM them and if I had a good case they re-opened it. If someone is mis-behaving or the conversation has gone South and off topic I've pointed out to the Mods as they can't be everywhere or be all things to all people. Anyway they usually always took care of it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

ctsvett said:

Thanks for listening and addressing the concerns. That’s what makes this forum so great!!!

2. As far as the locked threads (as numbered above), I think this is what should have been done…

1. Not locked. If it has been covered many times before then the thread will die soon anyways. Just because it has been covered doesn’t mean it should be locked, JMHO

2. If it’s a waste then delete it, but why lock it? If not then it should go unlocked and again this type of thread will die soon anyways…if it doesn’t die soon then that means some people have interest.

3. Shouldn’t be locked. It should have been moved to the lounge. You may not want to see why everyone thinks the viper thread sucks but maybe people want to voice their opinion and they should be allowed.

I think threads should only be locked if people start flaming real bad or if a vendor is trying to sell something yet they are not a supporting vendor. Other that that it should be left open. What you think is a waste of time may not be to others.

3. Morphing threads kill discussions. I had a thread a while back. It was getting a lot of responses then it was morphed and died immediately. Right when it was morphed I PM’ed a mod and told him I thought it would die…he didn’t unmorph it and it died. Morphing kills discussions. If I were in your shoes I would not morph. I would link the other thread into the new one and if nothing new is added then the new thread will die soon anyways.

4. No not you. I hope the guy doesn’t get mad at me but…hcvone. He is a Zaino distributor and moderator. That just seems like a conflict of interest to me (no flame intended hcvone)

5. The solution is….don’t lock or morph just let it be. Also we members can remind a poster when they post something that has been covered to do a search.

Again thanks for listening and thanks for being a moderator. You really are doing a hell of a job!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

ctsvett said:

Thanks for listening and addressing the concerns. That’s what makes this forum so great!!!

2. As far as the locked threads (as numbered above), I think this is what should have been done…

1. Not locked. If it has been covered many times before then the thread will die soon anyways. Just because it has been covered doesn’t mean it should be locked, JMHO

2. If it’s a waste then delete it, but why lock it? If not then it should go unlocked and again this type of thread will die soon anyways…if it doesn’t die soon then that means some people have interest.

3. Shouldn’t be locked. It should have been moved to the lounge. You may not want to see why everyone thinks the viper thread sucks but maybe people want to voice their opinion and they should be allowed.

I think threads should only be locked if people start flaming real bad or if a vendor is trying to sell something yet they are not a supporting vendor. Other that that it should be left open. What you think is a waste of time may not be to others.

3. Morphing threads kill discussions. I had a thread a while back. It was getting a lot of responses then it was morphed and died immediately. Right when it was morphed I PM’ed a mod and told him I thought it would die…he didn’t unmorph it and it died. Morphing kills discussions. If I were in your shoes I would not morph. I would link the other thread into the new one and if nothing new is added then the new thread will die soon anyways.

4. No not you. I hope the guy doesn’t get mad at me but…hcvone. He is a Zaino distributor and moderator. That just seems like a conflict of interest to me (no flame intended hcvone)

5. The solution is….don’t lock or morph just let it be. Also we members can remind a poster when they post something that has been covered to do a search.

Again thanks for listening and thanks for being a moderator. You really are doing a hell of a job!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

Sometimes morphing threads can be a boon.

When searching a "well-discussed" topic (say, exhaust systems), it can be overwhelming the number of hits you get doing a search (yes, even an advanced one). Morphing threads can help reduce those hits to a more manageable level (even at the expense of such threads being longer).

I understand what you are saying about possibly killing the discussion, but I can also understand the desire to consolidate and simplify.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

Sometimes morphing threads can be a boon.

When searching a "well-discussed" topic (say, exhaust systems), it can be overwhelming the number of hits you get doing a search (yes, even an advanced one). Morphing threads can help reduce those hits to a more manageable level (even at the expense of such threads being longer).

I understand what you are saying about possibly killing the discussion, but I can also understand the desire to consolidate and simplify.

41 - 60 of 14313 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
14.3K Replies
432 Participants
heavymetals