Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 14313 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined up just to ask this simple question:

I'm sick of my "normally performing" Volvo S60, and want more excitement, but since I have a family I need a sedan...that's why I sold my 2002 Porsche C4S.

The CTS-V seems like the best bang for the buck out there...but when do I buy? There are 7 '04's on the ground here in San Antonio, but do I order an '05? Wait to see what the '06's are like?

I can't decide to take the plunge or not. Advice to this n00bie, please!! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: When do I buy?

For me, assuming you're not already looking at future resale vaue, the answer is simple. Get the 2004 and save on the Gas Guzzler Tax being applied to the 2005 (reportedly $1300 extra). The 2004 and 2005 are virtually identical except for a couple of exterior color choices -- Red Line and Stealth Grey for 2005 in addition to Black Raven and Light Platinum for 2004 -- and an additional interior color choice (Light Grey) for 2005. Otherwise, I've also read that the 2005 will have a combined OnStar/XM Radio "diversity" antenna rather than two separate antennas, but I've seen this only once and I think it should be confirmed. Finally some additional dealer-installed options for 2005, but which can be bought later through GM parts for the 2004.

Essentially I just had the same choice and since I wanted the Black Raven color anyway, and I'm not interested in resale value, I felt it was better to save on the $1300 GGT.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

it's not an issue of resale values, i think i may hold on to this car for more than 2 years....and I've lurked here reading all the threads, and I know all about this car's "issues" and 04 vs 05....

I'm just asking you all if this car is worth the sacrifice?
Given it's strenghts and weaknesses do i take the plunge?

Keep in mind within the last 2 years I got killed by a lemon Porsche and basically had to settle on this Volvo S60.

·
GM Connection
1,286 Posts

urbanski said:
it's not an issue of resale values, i think i may hold on to this car for more than 2 years....and I've lurked here reading all the threads, and I know all about this car's "issues" and 04 vs 05....

I'm just asking you all if this car is worth the sacrifice?
Given it's strenghts and weaknesses do i take the plunge?

Keep in mind within the last 2 years I got killed by a lemon Porsche and basically had to settle on this Volvo S60.
Well, for the first time in decades, the automobile magazines actually favor the CTS-V over the BMW in the price range! That's a feat. Car and Driver said, "for the price, it's hard to imagine that anyone would consider anything else..."

Have you looked at leasing?

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

leasing in Texas just kills you....
first we have to pay ALL the sales tax UP FRONT....not just on a monthly basis like everyone else. THEN we have to pay personal property tax, too!! That's about 9% in up front taxes, for a car we don't technically own! AHAH oh well.

I will straight finance it.

I think i will wait until I have more for a down, maybe in fall.
But I can order one now for October delivery, and just dream about it for the next 4 months :D

·
Registered
75 Posts

Yes.....buy the car now. You will only regret it if you don't. This thing is more fun to drive than my Porsche 996 ever was. Just today I found this nice road with moderately tight sweeping curves. My passenger owns a Volvo S60R and I held third about 5000 RPM's into the curve and hammered it coming out. The sound and the rush were awesome. His eloquent words were..........SHIT!!!

I loved it...he was grabbin for something to hold on to and I actually caught him pressing the invisible sissy brake on the right side. All my micky mouse aside when this thing gets wound up she is a monster. Drag launches are another matter but most of my play is when it is already moving so the awesome sound and power plus the amazing handling just is so damn intoxicating. I still take the long way home and am simply in love with this car. I like it way better than the current M5, my prior Porsche and much much better than an AMG C32. Can't say much about the E55 since I have never been in one but for the price you simply can't beat the Caddy.

By the way did I say it seats 5 comfortably.................amazing.

2004 CTS-V Black on Black

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

MotorMouth said:
Yes.....buy the car now. You will only regret it if you don't. This thing is more fun to drive than my Porsche 996 ever was.
that's what had with my 996....the FUN of driving.

I'm going to test drive the dealer's demo today, and will likely put an order in for an 05. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts

Remember - like Warren Miller always says, "Next year you will be one year older" Driving this car just can not wait. Buy the thing NOW, you will never regret it. Every day lost can not be gotten back and owning this car has made me smile every time I see it and the looks it gets from those who see it.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Trilio said:
Remember - like Warren Miller always says, "Next year you will be one year older" Driving this car just can not wait. Buy the thing NOW, you will never regret it. Every day lost can not be gotten back and owning this car has made me smile every time I see it and the looks it gets from those who see it.
yeah.

I drove it today....i actually had the salesman REALLY drive it for me.....we took the highway onramp and were at 95 before we even hit the highway. The ride was more supple than my S60 and nowhere near as jarring as the 996. He actually let the rear end drift out around a corner.....let me tell you all, I can't remember the last time I oversteered in a car....the FWD Volvo defines understeer and the AWD 996 would 4-wheel drift a bit. It ROCKED....

My turn saw me take it easy of course, but the exhaust note is intoxicating, and the clutch feel and shifter fit me perfectly. The suede helps hold you in place, and the lumbar support was spot on. Of course IMO the Bose bass is crap....but i can always aftermarket the subwoofer. heh.

And guess what!! He knew all about the FG2, the carbon fiber engine cover, and various aftermarket goodies. I was shocked he knew more than me!
Impressive salesman, perfect car for me.

I plan to put my deposit down SOON for an October delivery :D
I look forward to having fun driving again, and come October I'll only be 4 months older ;)

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
RT r0x0rz mah b0x0rz

I'll have to paint it Platinum, of course...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Check It Out: Me & My Next V at MGM Grand Studios

Is the sun roof stuck open? Just wondered since you are under that huge red awning. Nice car does it have GPS and On-Star? LOL...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Squeaks, rattles, other annoyances....?

I've been reasearching the V for quite some time now and I'm getting down to the smaller details of the car buying decision. My last car a VW and it had major squeaks, rattles when I hit a bump, the speakers buzzed, etc. I realize this car 's MSRP is double that of most VW's but there is always a car built on a Friday. My question is have any V owners experienced any of the above or any other things that irritate or disgust you about the car? How would you rate the interior build quality? Has the car seemed to have "loosened up" or "broke in" after a few thousand miles? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
Re: Squeaks, rattles, other annoyances....?

she's tip top...15000 miles..

·
Registered
224 Posts

I'm coming from a VW GTI to be exact! One of the first things i noticed was how must more solid the car felt withouth the squeaks and rattles that were on the VW!

The only problems on the inside have been the two sail panels in the back which broke due to shittey brackets! Had them replaced and now their good!

Other than that......like i have said: I LOVE THIS DAMN CAR! :worship:V

·
Registered
163 Posts

Wait a second....did you used to own a 20th anniversary GTI? Reason I'm asking is I could have swore I saw pics of your V over at vwvortex.com. But yes I'm coming from GTI also. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 14313 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.