Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Sedan DeVille, 4.6L Northstar
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Just took the car to the shop because one front wheel was straight and the other was pointing outwards. They told me that the right tire had some play and that the tie rod was worn. They wanted approx. $210.00 and that included an alignment. I was wondering how hard it would be to do it myself. I have the Haynes repair book and from what they show me it doesn't look hard at all. Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, but can an ordinary Joe like me do it and do it alone? Can you give me any pointers? One last thing, what is the going price for a tie rod end? Thanks

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
After you get the car on jacks and the wheels off you can do BOTH tie rods in in about 30 minutes. They cost only around $30-40 each and as Ranger pointed out not hard at all. You should however do both. A 4 wheel laser alignment is around $75.00. Good luck.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Interesting that I was talking to a Caddy service writer yesterday. He told me that GM replaced a pile of tie rod ends over a period of time. He felt that GM had a ton of bad ones. He also said that they no longer see that problem, apparently since GM changed supplier.

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
I replaced both on my Deville @70k and on my STS @ 75k. My cars are not driven severely and get regular maintenance. GM seems to get a ton of bad parts like crank sensors,tie rods,heated seat elements,relays,misc switches and wheel bearing/hubs,etc.Things that break/wear-out too early on what is supposed to be Detroit's flagship nameplate. With that being said, I know the quality of their cars has improved somewhat and they have the 100k warranty but my next car might be a Lexus.

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
Make sure you count the number of turns it takes to get the tierod end off and put the new ones on as close to where the worn ones were as possible. It will keep you from having a serious problem on the way to get the alignment. Not that they will bad if you dont count the turns but its just a good idea.

Check the condition of other things while your under the car and replace whats worn before getting the alignment. That way you wont have to get the alignment doen again before you need too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the input, just hope I can do it. Now recommends on where to get the parts?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,984 Posts
http://www.rockauto.com
Just ordered a part for my daughters car yesterday morning. Got an email at 1300 that it was shipped and it was delivered this morning (24 hrs). Now THAT is service. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone advise doing the ball joints while the tie rods are being done?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
NO ! Haven't seen any wear out yet. I've done hundreds of outer tie rods; original OEM, OEM replacement , and aftermarket replacements. They all wear out. Isn't it weird sometimes how one model or group of models has a rash of unexplained problems.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
I just recently had a rode trip from San Antonio to Jackson, MS and on the trip noticed there was a little vibration (wife's car and I don't get a chance to drive it much on highway). I figured I would get tires balanced and alignment soon as I got to Jackson. Well, while in for the alignment, I get a call saying that it can't be aligned because outer tie rod end is worn on passenger side. So in addition to charging me for the balance of tires ($55.96) and alignment ($64.99), I was charged for tie rod ($71.17) and install ($43.00).
I knew the technicians diagnosis was correct but I was ticked off at myself for not taking it in BEFORE my trip because for the price that I paid for just one side, I could have done it myself to BOTH sides and had enough for a few cold ones and an oil change!
Long story short...It is a VERY easy do-it-yourself job. Just make sure to get an alignment soon after doing it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts