Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Luxury, 2019 GMC AWD Terrain Denali
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the new map update USB device today via Fed Ex, so of course I was in a hurry to preform the update. I back the car out of the garage into the driveway, plug the device int the center console USB port and following the screen instructions, begin the process.

The car must be left running during the update, and interestingly the instructions with the update says not to drive the car while the process is going, yet the screen says "You can drive the car now." Go figure. Anyway, I don't have anywhere to go, so with the car in the driveway it is only a few feet from our front porch. I sit on the porch swing and the car is about 10 feet away. I can hear a faint ticking sound from the engine. It's not loud, but I can distinctly hear the sound and it bother me just a little. I mean, I only purchased this 2017 CT6 about a week ago, and unusual noises are a concern.

Anyway, I am planning a visit to the dealer next week for another issue, so I guess I'll add the ticking sound to my questions. As I sit, working on my laptop and waiting for the 50 minutes the update is supposed to take, I notice the ticking sound is gone. I would say the car was idling for about 10-15 minutes before the sound stopped. Well, maybe it's nothing to worry about, huh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why did they send you the map update? Can you buy them? Or do they just send them?

Meaning...I didn’t get one and don’t want to miss out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
770 Posts
Possible expansion of the metal exhaust system causing the ticking? I hear that kind of noise for the wood stove in my cottage as a fire heats the flue.

Max

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s possible what you’re hearing is the direct injection system.
Yes, that is quite possible. I had the same noise on a previous Cadillac, a 2008 STS (not Seville) with the same 3.6 liter direct injection engine. For a while, I was using Sea Foam (recommended by dealer) and it did help reduce the ticking sound. Of course, you need to keep adding "the additive" and after a while it was too much trouble (and extra cost) so I abandoned the Sea Foam. Interesting to note, after that one time, I have not noticed the ticking sound.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 3.0TT Sport
44 Posts
It's likely that it's the mechanical vacuum pump. There is a TSB, Bulletin # 18-NA-337 regarding this that affects 2016 & 2017 CT6's with the 3.0 or 3.6 V6:

Condition
Some customers may comment that there is a hollow knock or tap noise coming from the
engine compartment.
Cause
This knock or tap noise may be coming from the mechanical vacuum pump, which is part of the oil pump assembly inside the oil pan and is the source of vacuum for the brake system.
Correction
If you encounter this condition, the following inspection and repair should be followed prior to further diagnostics.
Note: This in no way adversely affects the ability of the vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the brake booster or the longevity of the serviceability of the vacuum pump itself.
Service Procedure
We have identified a possible concern with the mechanical vacuum pump for the brake system. Please follow this diagnosis precisely to address this concern.
1. Start the engine and let it idle until the oil
temperature is 208°F (98°C).
2. Determine if the noise is present:
• If noise is present, pump the brakes 3-5 times to see if the noise goes away. The noise will return a short time later.
⇒ The noise occurs when the brake booster system is at equilibrium (fully drawn down), so pumping the
brakes will require the vacuum pump to create more vacuum to compensate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's likely that it's the mechanical vacuum pump. There is a TSB, Bulletin # 18-NA-337 regarding this that affects 2016 & 2017 CT6's with the 3.0 or 3.6 V6:

Condition
Some customers may comment that there is a hollow knock or tap noise coming from the
engine compartment.
Cause
This knock or tap noise may be coming from the mechanical vacuum pump, which is part of the oil pump assembly inside the oil pan and is the source of vacuum for the brake system.
Correction
If you encounter this condition, the following inspection and repair should be followed prior to further diagnostics.
Note: This in no way adversely affects the ability of the vacuum pump to supply vacuum to the brake booster or the longevity of the serviceability of the vacuum pump itself.
Service Procedure
We have identified a possible concern with the mechanical vacuum pump for the brake system. Please follow this diagnosis precisely to address this concern.
1. Start the engine and let it idle until the oil
temperature is 208°F (98°C).
2. Determine if the noise is present:
• If noise is present, pump the brakes 3-5 times to see if the noise goes away. The noise will return a short time later.
⇒ The noise occurs when the brake booster system is at equilibrium (fully drawn down), so pumping the
brakes will require the vacuum pump to create more vacuum to compensate.
I guess I might need to try this and see if it is true. Although it is a TSB, I assume it no longer applies once the car reaches a certain mileage; i.e., your car is over 3 years old?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts