Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a prominent thumping sound under mid to hard acceleration. Has anyone else had this or know what this could be? differential bushing, motor mount, strut????? etc...etc...

·
Registered
634 Posts
:yup: I get that same thump sound . . . up the side of my head . . under hard acceleration . . .
~ :rollingpin: my lovely bride does not like hard acceleration.

Seriously though, is the car wheel hopping or maybe something going on with T/C.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good point by stepside. Does it happen with the traction control off? I think they used to call it "axle tramp" when I was a kid. The suspension would wind up a little bit, then spring back, making the tire jump on the pavement if I recall correctly. Most of our members are more knowledgeable than I am, but this is a thought....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Is it just noise, or does the back of the car go bump, bump, bump? If the latter, it sounds like wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Is it just noise, or does the back of the car go bump, bump, bump? If the latter, it sounds like wheel hop.
:)

OP your description is way too vague for us internet mechanics to fix for you! haha Really though it could be wheelhop, motor mounts broke causing the dash and whole car to "slam" on each shift (my guess), or any number or combination of bushings...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not wheelhop...I know what that feels like. I probably should've said during moderate acceleration. It just started doing this about 2 months ago. At first I thought maybe it's because it's so cold outside...but now it's been 70-75 degrees and it's still doing it. Mostly in 1st thru 3rd gear when you can feel the car torque a little.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,930 Posts
Okay, no WH.

Next ques: Do you feel it in the shifter or steering wheel or your butt?

·
Registered
301 Posts
a while back i was getting a thumping noise coming from underneath the car and it turned out to be the rear diff bushing..

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
That's my vote too. A thump on the bottom of the car under moderate load sounds like diff bushing. If only under hard acceleration I would suggest mounts but that's more of a slam or bang, and definitely comes from the engine bay.

My current bushing is only 2 months old and I've been able to hear it slowly get worse. They really do crap out quickly..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like my problem...If I get time I'll take a look today. Thanks for all the help everyone...I'll be sure and let you know if that's the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a similar problem. My 2008 CTS with rear wheel drive makes a noise that I can feel and hear that seems to come from under the console. My first thought was that it was drive shaft related. Maybe the carrier bearing? I have since found a lot of comments of flange bolts working loose. Some time this week I well get underneath and see what there is to see.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a similar problem. My 2008 CTS with rear wheel drive makes a noise that I can feel and hear that seems to come from under the console. My first thought was that it was drive shaft related. Maybe the carrier bearing? I have since found a lot of comments of flange bolts working loose. Some time this week I well get underneath and see what there is to see.
When I took my V for the test drive at the dealer there was a thumping sound from the rear pretty much center which indicated to me drive shaft. I read about a known problem with the diff input bearing and the dealer verified that. They replaced it before I made the purchase. But... If your CTS isn't a V I could almost accurately guess it's not the same diff. But then again it still could be that input bearing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I an having the exact same symptoms with my 2008 CTS. What did your issue turn out to be? I took it to a Mechanic he told me that the front part of the drive shaft needed replacing. Just curios as to rather that will fix my problem. I already replaced the center support 2 months ago.

·
Super Moderator 2005 CTS-V
7,698 Posts
Hi I an having the exact same symptoms with my 2008 CTS. What did your issue turn out to be? I took it to a Mechanic he told me that the front part of the drive shaft needed replacing. Just curios as to rather that will fix my problem. I already replaced the center support 2 months ago.
Unfortunately, you're asking a question of a member who hasn't logged into the site in 9 months, so you're unlikely to get a response. I suggest posting in 2008-2013 CTS forum, as you're more likely to get responses specific to your model of car there than you are in this 2004-2007 CTS-V forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
AAIIIC